Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

If the afl were worried about footy in maryborough (10k people) and getting participation rates up to find the next lohmann, they'd find a coach and pay him to boost footy in the town by promoting plenty of school training sessions and coach the seniors, with a recently retired afl player coach the ones, develop juniors and get kids involved.

Tyson heppell would be fantastic and he'd get the club competitive, not sure the afl cares though

Moama leaving the Murray league would be a massive kick in the guts for the Murray league having recently moved its grand finals and best and fairest/ presentation nights to Moama.

If Moama did decide to move leagues, I see a lot more upside in going to the Goulburn Valley league instead.

Shepparton is 25km closer than Bendigo is and there would be an instant cash cow in the form of "Battle of the Border" matches against Echuca for starters (Good Friday and King's Birthday Monday matches would draw big crowds).

The Northern league div 3 is their best fit, have a good rivalry with Kilmore low ks and retain their juniors
NFNL already has 1 to many clubs… plus broadford don’t even have a side.

Broadford have a future with a junior program but they need to focus on a sustainable choice not join any league that’ll let them.

If Moama did decide to move leagues, I see a lot more upside in going to the Goulburn Valley league instead.

Shepparton is 25km closer than Bendigo is and there would be an instant cash cow in the form of "Battle of the Border" matches against Echuca for starters (Good Friday and King's Birthday Monday matches would draw big crowds).
I think more of their kids go to work, uni in Ballarat, Bendigo and Melbourne, which is why bendigo is probably more preferred. As they can retain more juniors.

If Moama go to bendigo, I'd think echuca would seriously look at it too. As they might lose players to Moama for the above. Getting an echuca to join suddenly drives up the standard required to compete and creates a better league

Self interested clubs that then choose to blame others, such as hubs, for their mistakes and bemoan others, such as hubs, when they aren't rescued from their predicament by said hubs, are a large factor in the current state of football clubs, leagues and administration.
Not every club obviously. Maryborough locally has not opted to play the blame game despite it appearing that they've received less help than other clubs, some not even league affiliated.
No point us here at Maryborough FNC playing the 'blame game'. Our situation has developed over many years and it's no use pointing fingers and saying what should/ shouldn't have been done so as to avoid the situation we are currently in. Our previous committee members were well intentioned and had the club's best interest at the centre of decisions made. Unfortunately some decisions haven't worked out and negatively impacted on the club as a result.

As for the league, they have supported us and we are thankful for that. I think the new Council have been good so far as they have listened and taken on board feedback with our concerns about football in the area and where our club sits. They are limited in what they can do and I am sure will try and do their best to improve football in the region. The continual loss of good staff from the AFL Central Victoria hub hasn't helped at all.

Many issues sit with the lack of direction and support by AFL Victoria for country football and letting the 'tail wag the dog' by not getting involved in decisions where their presence/ influence is needed. This is best seen by the Broadford situation which provides no benefit to the BFNL by admitting a club that doesn't exist, has a lot of baggage and a reputation that has seen them being shunned by a number of competitions. The other thing is Broadford has nothing in common with the BFNL and is best suited to the Northern or Riddell leagues but due to their situation both leagues will not even entertain their admission. These are the type of situations where AFL Victoria needs to be involved for the betterment of football.

There is too much self interest and many individuals just 'beating their chest' to enhance their own reputation within football clubs and the wider football community. There is a lack of willingness to compromise and work with others and this is detrimental to the future of community football. Things need to change and unfortunately too many administrators and people in key positions have lost touch with community football and the issues facing it. The lack of vision and ability to make difficult decisions due to pandering to the loudest voice is certainly an ongoing issue.

I think more of their kids go to work, uni in Ballarat, Bendigo and Melbourne, which is why bendigo is probably more preferred. As they can retain more juniors.

If Moama go to bendigo, I'd think echuca would seriously look at it too. As they might lose players to Moama for the above. Getting an echuca to join suddenly drives up the standard required to compete and creates a better league
Trust me, if Moama do look at moving it will be to the Goulburn Valley FNL. They are not remotely interested in joining the Bendigo FNL. They would like to play Echuca and create a derby with them if a move was possible.

Why would Moama move to Bendigo which could be considered dysfunctional when the Murray FNL is a stable and well run league and has been the case for many years.

Echuca (like Rochester) will never return to the Bendigo FNL. The bridges were burnt many years ago and both clubs have long memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the afl were worried about footy in maryborough (10k people) and getting participation rates up to find the next lohmann, they'd find a coach and pay him to boost footy in the town by promoting plenty of school training sessions and coach the seniors, with a recently retired afl player coach the ones, develop juniors and get kids involved.

Tyson heppell would be fantastic and he'd get the club competitive, not sure the afl cares though
Dyson will be at Port Melbourne with Hird or back to Leongatha

Yep I'm using it as a hypothetical the afl need to put money into maryborough. An ex afl player in a development role running clinics and coaching the senior side with a 150k job by the afl is required. Should be 6 of these roles through the state
oh yeah fair enough, as I've said previously in other posts in country footy threads - from what I've heard from Andrew Dillon, (without him explicitly saying it) it sounds like the AFL are not worried about clubs falling over and there won't be additional funds allocated to community footy as it will always exist to a level that can facilitate the pathways that they require for the best players and that's all they're worried about.

He's also said any additional funding would be to create new programs like trying to keep kids in auskick longer if they're not up to playing competitive footy, womens football etc. and made some reference that people who are registered to play footy in any capacity are 7-8x more likely to attend an AFL game than those who aren't (found that a strange response when specifically asked about funding for community football). Feels like that's about more rego fees coming in from new areas rather than sustaining existing clubs.

Doesn't make sense to me but I love community footy & I don't know the $ side of it that they see.

oh yeah fair enough, as I've said previously in other posts in country footy threads - from what I've heard from Andrew Dillon, (without him explicitly saying it) it sounds like the AFL are not worried about clubs falling over and there won't be additional funds allocated to community footy as it will always exist to a level that can facilitate the pathways that they require for the best players and that's all they're worried about.

He's also said any additional funding would be to create new programs like trying to keep kids in auskick longer if they're not up to playing competitive footy, womens football etc. and made some reference that people who are registered to play footy in any capacity are 7-8x more likely to attend an AFL game than those who aren't (found that a strange response when specifically asked about funding for community football). Feels like that's about more rego fees coming in from new areas rather than sustaining existing clubs.

Doesn't make sense to me but I love community footy & I don't know the $ side of it that they see.
Maybe the government need to set up a sort of governing body to run footy as a sport, then the self styled custodians of the game can start paying some tax.
Hopefully then we will some money flow into footy club coffers

But when it suits there is insinuation that 1 billion will be spent in grassroots foot in the next 10 years .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back