Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Admittedly there’s some self interest but I’m with South if that’s the case.

If a team hasn’t made finals for a period of time, 3 years, 5 or whatever they shouldn’t have any points restriction.
Don't bother developing kids, just go on a three year cycle to win flags? There's apparently already no cap, so no points too? Always back self interest

Don't bother developing kids, just go on a three year cycle to win flags? There's apparently already no cap, so no points too? Always back self interest

Some areas have three times the kids of others, it’s not as simple as that.

The points system was a meant to help even things up. How does it make sense if it’s easier to stay a good team than improve a bad one?

In 2004 Trent they beat Gisborne in the grand final then the next year lost most of that team. Can this happen again - I am getting a little edgy. Curnow retired, Greene gone, Pallpratt gone, Uerata would have to be snapped up by a VFL or interstate team, the Connick boys to Birchip?

Perhaps we need to hand out more houses but for God's sake don't tell Forest.
And Isaac Carracher to Colbinabbin.

Because they are a dying business and don’t want to risk losing click generation from things like the stats.

They can’t afford to lose the league so they **** for them. Don’t even allow comments on social media posts concerning the AFL CV in case someone criticises them.

It’s pathetic and they should be ashamed to call themselves journalists.
Indeed a ‘dying business’.

A mate of mine there informs me that their two most experienced sports writers were hounded and harassed out of the joint in recent weeks, effectively cutting the sports team from four to two.
The newsroom is effectively a ‘ghost town’.

Journos have had 20-odd years of long service leave forced to be taken, leaving others to pick up the slack, under the guise of ‘cutting costs’.

Going forward with two reporters only, there will be days of the week where there will be no one manning the sports operation.

Indeed a ‘dying business’.

I’d cut those left some slack.
At least there will be some football coverage.
Coverage for the likes of basketball, netball, soccer, women’s footy, racing, swimming etc will nearly completely vanish or already have.

The thing is the addy has become a voice of the bfl and afl vic. It's lost its ability provide independent comment on the game
You do invite some attention when you spruik all is rosey in garden at end of a season when things are clearly not. The enthusiasm for Broadford coming into the comp in that post grand final article was a total misread of the mood in punter land rather than the cosy confines of the officials area on grand final day.

The thing is the addy has become a voice of the bfl and afl vic. It's lost its ability provide independent comment on the game

And when we talk about waining interest in the game it’s a key reason.

In days gone by we had great print media coverage, strong voices on radio and at least some TV coverage.

Now we have a eunuch Addy, the radio is on its last legs and you see nothing on TV.

Yes social media has changed the landscape but on there we get the absolute tripe they insult us with each week from Doley.

The contrast to the sort of coverage you get from the O and M is stark.

The best thing AFL VIC could do is spend some of the money it is pissing away on employing someone like Westy and saying report on whatever you like independently and we won’t interfere. The obvious problem with that is if he tells the truth it will be what a shit job they are doing and they won’t cop it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do invite some attention when you spruik all is rosey in garden at end of a season when things are clearly not. The enthusiasm for Broadford coming into the comp in that post grand final article was a total misread of the mood in punter land rather than the cosy confines of the officials area on grand final day.
It would be great to get the official stance on where the BFNL clubs themselves stand on it all as it is my understanding that there were multiple clubs who actually supported the concept of Broadford coming into the BFNL when it was presented to the presidents many months ago.

It’s my understanding there was a sense of enthusiasm from multiple clubs.

The Advertiser should be diving into that and present an array of opinions and perspectives in my opinion.

Itd be great to know if the Broadford concept is a strongly opposed in clubland as it is in Big Footy

There is a cap. Question though, do new cars come under it?

I read up on this recently when I heard about an infamous deal.

Everything counts, any financial benefit to a player whether it is cash, contra or otherwise.

It would be great to get the official stance on where the BFNL clubs themselves stand on it all as it is my understanding that there were multiple clubs who actually supported the concept of Broadford coming into the BFNL when it was presented to the presidents many months ago.

It’s my understanding there was a sense of enthusiasm from multiple clubs.

The Advertiser should be diving into that and present an array of opinions and perspectives in my opinion.

Itd be great to know if the Broadford concept is a strongly opposed in clubland as it is in Big Footy

I asked Castlemaine committee and they absolutely did not support.

Because they are a dying business and don’t want to risk losing click generation from things like the stats.

They can’t afford to lose the league so they **** for them. Don’t even allow comments on social media posts concerning the AFL CV in case someone criticises them.

It’s pathetic and they should be ashamed to call themselves journalists.
These journalists work for a regional newspaper and have done so well until recent times. They are clearly under editorial direction and will write what they are told. Bourke, Dole and many others provided years of great coverage and those days are over like many things in a changing world ( bank tellers, Sunday barrels, Interleague teams with the best players etc) . If you’re on the payroll somewhere we are no different to these journos they just happen to be open to public feedback and that can be harsh .

These journalists work for a regional newspaper and have done so well until recent times. They are clearly under editorial direction and will write what they are told. Bourke, Dole and many others provided years of great coverage and those days are over like many things in a changing world ( bank tellers, Sunday barrels, Interleague teams with the best players etc) . If you’re on the payroll somewhere we are no different to these journos they just happen to be open to public feedback and that can be harsh .

Fair point, I was much too harsh on them. (Except Doley, he is taking the piss with the rubbish he inflicts on us)

I’m sure they would be just as frustrated as we are, pretty soon the Addy will just be a one sheet handout containing photos they take hiding in the bushes outside court.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back