Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams will always go on runs of flags with a cap or points system or without. If you get a good group together and they stay together for a few season why wouldn’t they be able to go on runs of flags. Do you want it so no one can play at a club for more than a season at a time? Tardy, Ferg, Maxted, Wharton sorry you all have to leave because we can’t win back to back flags, cya…
That's not ringos point. He's suggesting the points has created tiered comps. The stronger clubs get stronger and it's near impossible to go from the bottom of the ladder to challenge for a flag the next year. Supporters want hope as do players

I know a couple of people who work at AFL clubs, both in footy management and recruiting.

There were two Bendigo guys that both their clubs were keen to rookie last year but both of them knocked them back.

Money wasn’t the sole reason but they came away knowing the fella from Sandhurst we’ve already discussed was on a massive deal and there’s a fella at Square who was also on a fair whack.

When you start doing the maths on the salary cap it gets clear quickly that it is very hard to fit in many guys on a good rate and still spread the rest out amongst another 18-20 players.
I'm pretty sure they are letting you on. Rookie players are 90k plus game payments. No bfl footballer is on close to half of that

I'm pretty sure they are letting you on. Rookie players are 90k plus game payments. No bfl footballer is on close to half of that

I’m not suggesting they are on that or even close to it, (although one is if you count a new house build), just that the money is good enough to make them think about it.

You might rather stay in Bendigo and make 50 or 60 on top of your other income than have a crack in Melbourne for 90 for example.

Strath must have had a lot of players playing for a pie and a can of coke last year then - with one player taking a 3rd of the “cap” alone
All local kids this year weren’t they?
I know a couple of people who work at AFL clubs, both in footy management and recruiting.

There were two Bendigo guys that both their clubs were keen to rookie last year but both of them knocked them back.

Money wasn’t the sole reason but they came away knowing the fella from Sandhurst we’ve already discussed was on a massive deal and there’s a fella at Square who was also on a fair whack.

When you start doing the maths on the salary cap it gets clear quickly that it is very hard to fit in many guys on a good rate and still spread the rest out amongst another 18-20 players.
Pretty big accusation. Not too many more respected figures in local footy than Curnow and their President known to be an upstanding local lawyer and family man. You are basically pointing the finger at them

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back