Best Band You Have Seen Live

Remove this Banner Ad

Best ive seen were Linkin Park. They are my favourite band and the didnt let me down. Honourable mention to Good Charlotte. Not even in my list of best bands, but it was a fun concert.

Robbie Williams was a major let down though. Had high hopes and I was disappointed.

There is a few but to narrow it down

The Flaming Lips, BDO couple years back, phenomenal, come back already Mr Coyne.

Muse, Metro City, couple years back before everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Bloc Party, Festival Hall, 2007, awesome time,

But yeah if Flaming Lips ever come back, see em and thank me later

alexisonfire AND .moneen. @ luna park sydney, i can die happy now
dallas green (from alexisonfire) @ soundwave, as above
the receiving end of sirens @ soundwave, wat turned out to be their last show in australia aawwww
anberlin @ the capitol perth, nice an toasted for that one an danced an sung like a nut haha
foo fighters & oasis @ rock-it a few yrs back, great double headline
ben harper @ freo blues an roots, amazing
john mayer, jus love his songs
:cool:

I have not seen many concerts ... so I can pretty much comment on each of them! This list excludes a number of MSO concerts and anything non-music eg a bunch of Rodney Rude features.

Violent Femmes - Metro. Was very drunk on bourbons and had torn old shoes held together with staples. They came apart during concert and when the slamdancing started, people would land on my feet and impale my toes on the staples. The Femmes were probably my favourite concert. They were preceded by the Clouds which were also great.

John Cougar Mellencamp (Lonesome Jubilee) - maybe Melbourne Park? - This was a really good concert, he has very enjoyable music and didn't use any special effects but the band was very vivacious and energetic which made it a lot of fun.

Died Pretty - Corner Hotel, Collingwood Club, Corner Hotel - Lumped them into one number as I was drunk at all of them but I had great experiences of live band music each time. One of the Corner Hotel gigs was preceded by Phil Para. The third concert was my first outing with my (now) wife of 7 years. It was a shame that they every called it quits :(

Nick Cave and Bad Seeds - Palace/Palais. I can't remember which venue as I was very drunk. He was preceded by, umm, Gondwanaland? Not sure. I leant against a partition that formed part of the audio booth and it started to lean over. I and a bloke on the other side stopped it, he glared at me but let me be. By then I was so drunk I was worried I'd be incarcerated for it so I scarpered. I think it was a good concert.

Underground Lovers - Central Club - I was extremely drunk and can only just remember that I really enjoyed this concert!

Raspberry Cordial - John Safran singing "Mr Sheen" and other masterpieces while we, as part of an approximately 15-strong audience, played pool up the back. Very amusing, had no idea who he was at the time. I am still looking for any decent quality recordings of his songs : "Let's Play Matchbox Cars" and "There's No Kangaroos In My Backyard". he was preceded by us getting blind in the public bar. I don't think there was a cover charge. I'd heard him interviewed on the radio earlier that day (or the day before) so encouraged one or two mates to come along and see what it was like.

Bob Dylan - Rod Laver Arena - A lot of fun, he wandered through quite a lot of music. Preceded by Paul Kelly, who my missus remarked is the obvious Dylan cover band.

AC/DC - Rod Laver Arena - Late 90s, which concert was that? We met at ALbion Charles Hotel, Northcote, went to concert, then nailed our butts to barstools at the classy Carlton Club until daybreak. Was a lot of fun, very raucous, though I don't find anything about it overly memorable.

Greenday - Festival Hall. Myself and my two friends were probably the oldest people there. We met at the Savoy Hotel opposite Spencer Street, its closed now :( The concert was quite modest, actually, I attempted to generate some physical interest by attending replete in a Transvision Vamp tee shirt :D After this I made an attempt to get into some pub in Prahran to see 80s Enuff as Futureboy was a mate from the footy who kept trying to get us to go see him play. The bouncer's wouldn't let me in (I reckon it was the Transvision Vamp tee shirt). Luckily got to see 80s Enuff dozens of times later.

80s Enuff - I know its just a pub band, but most of my favourite live band experiences were at the feet of Futureboy and his cohorts. No band that plays Safety Dance should ever go unpatronised. After an unsuccessful attempt to witness them at some pub in Prahran, I saw them first at Transformers, where we had various experiences of fists thrown and police intervention. Fitzroy and Saint Kilda in a room full of alcohol, what do you expect! When they moved to South Melbourne, we followed them, where I was ejected three times by crowd control for excessive dancing, the third ejection unceremoniously removing about 25% of my left hand. Hence a very special place in my heart, 80s Enuff were my favourite live act in music. When Futureboy moved on, so did we.

{dunno who} - Great Britain - Might have been someone like Ned's Atomic Dustbin, I don't fully remember. Nondescript memory of the even, may not have been drunk enough.

Nikki Nicholls/Wendy Stapleton/Lisa Edwards - Fitzroy Club Hotel - As Roys social club members, we were treated to many fun performances by these and other vocalists. We were very, very, drunk, but everything I say about them is true.

The Nazz - Fun cover band we used to see in the late 1980s at the New Boundary in Richmond, before heading down to the Richmond Social Club, and stroking it in various directions. There was another band there at other times, can't remember who they were now. Similar, more covers, can't remember name. Can anyone help?

Mental As Anything - Village Green. At this time, the Village Green was just a great big shed, looked like a VOP grain shed! They were a lot of fun, but I don't think we stayed the whole night. From memory, the preceding act (dunno who) cracked it with the audience for not responding adequately to his music, and gave us all a serve. Or I might have dreamt it.

Weddings, Parties, Anything - Forester's Arms - Had usually only gone here for discos but the WPA were on and a mate and I decided to go and check it out. Not overly memorable, s'ok.

Wow, that might just about be it!
Used to be Nazz Thursdays, The Stealers Fridays and Dean & Carruthers Saturdays at the New Boundary

Best Band seen live: Cold Chisel at Wangaratta

Best solo artist: Prince

Funniest: The **** ****s

Worst: Can't remember their name but started with S and walked out of their concert half way and left my friends there as was bored with their music. Mid 90's from memory.

'Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention' at Festival Hall in 1975: fantastic. Frank was in fine form.
'Magazine' at The Crystal Ballroom in 1980: excellent. Howard DeVoto in full swing.
'The Residents' at The Forum in 2004: truly amazing. Played their greatest "hits" which they never do. Wonderful!
'TISM' at The Metro in 1989: Ron Hitler Barrasi went off at all the young Italian & Greek girls at the bar.
Very rude but very funny.

Actually over all, TISM are the best live band I've seen. Saw them about 30 times between 1987 and
1992. Always gave 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meatloaf - Festival Hall circa 1985.
The Angels- multiple times in Geelong at the old Eureka Hotel and the Sundowner Hotel.

Most disappointing? Madonna - MCG - Girlie Show Tour 1993.

One I wished I was at? Live Aid 1985 at Wembley, I was 17.

In rough date order but no preference .....

The Clash
Dead Kennedys
Models
U2
Killing Joke (all 3 tours, can never fault them)
The Damned (5 out of 6 tours (was skint in 87), can never fault them)
The Cramps (all 3 tours, could never fault them)
Transvision Vamp (Metro)
Public Image Ltd (Palace)
Ramones (Festival Hall)
Motorhead (Festival Hall)
Siouxsie and the Banshees (Metro)
Sex Pistols (Palace show)
Die Toten Hosen
Joe Strummer (Corner hotel)
The Levellers

What I remember:

Angels

Ash

Australian Crawl

Axiom

Bo Didley

Broderick Smith’s Big Combo

Captain Matchbox

Carson

CCR

Chain

Chris De Burgh

Church

Cold Chisel

Coloured Stone

Company Caine

Daddy Cool

Deep Purple/Manfred Manns Earth Band/Free (in one gig ffs 1971)

Dingoes

Dire Straits x 2

Doug Parkinson in Focus

Dutch Tilders

Dynamic Hepnotics

FOCUS

George Benson

George Thorogood

Gomez

Indelible Murtceps

James Reyne

Jeff Beck

Jeff St John

Jethro Tull x 2

Jim Keays Band

Jimmy Buffett

Jo Jo Zep

John Farnham

John Mayall

JOK

Jon English

LaDeDa's

Leo de Castro

Little River Band

Lobby Lloyd

Max Merritt and The Meteors

Me First and the Gimme Gimmees

Men at work

Mississippi

Mondo Rock

Olivia Newton-John and Pat Carrol

Renee Geyer (RIP today sadly)

Richard Clapton

Rose Tattoo

Russell Morris

Sebastian Hardie

Sherbert

Skyhooks

Spectrum

Sports

St Paul and the Broken Bones

Stars

Steve Kilbey

Taman Shud

The Cure

Thorpie

Tully

Turin Brakes

Uriah Heep

Wendy Saddington

Probably missed many. Best? Recency bias says The Cure in 2016 - amazing performance and production. Balanced perspective? Jethro Tull always amazing

Tool (2020) - Third time I have seen them but this was next level. Fear Innoculum songs live are insanely great
Marilyn Manson (1999 BDO) - The peak of the Anti Christ superstar era (seen him 2 other times, once good and once terrible)
Roger Waters The Wall Tour (2012) - Everything sounded absolutely perfect
Janes Addiction (2010) - The original band all back together, sensational. Dave Navarro is amazing live
Rammstein (2000 - 2002ish live at the Palais). Absolutely amazing. The guitarist/gimp dude crowd surfing in a canoe while playing guyitar in a small intimate hall. Seen them another time in the early 10's at the BDO and were great too
RATM (BDO 2008). Pretty amazing show, but **** me that crowd was wild that day. Flares getting thrown into the crowd, RATM stopping playing twice to calm the crowd down and to get all the people of the bar tent roofs
System of a down (2011) - Sound just as heavy and as good live as they do on cd
Metallica (around 2010) - I like Metallica but aren't huge on them but **** me they are great live
Limp Bizkit (2012) - First Au shows since the BDO tragedy. Man they know how to rev a crowd up something crazy
Slipknot (2010ish) - Full of energy and the same as LB above

Some honorable mentions to Foo Fighters, muse, Silverchair (1999), Prodigy (been great and shit the 4 times I've seen them), Jimmy Eat World, Bush, Placebo, 30 Seconds to Mars, Korn, Linking Park & Blink 182

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not really a fan, can't say I've ever listened to a full album, great live act though, Cheney rips on guitar
Saw them a few months ago live, Red Hot Summer Tour, Mannum. Hunters and Collectors were the last and main act. Living End played prior to them. They were so good H and C ended up being a let down and a lot of people left before they finished, they ended up walking off the stage in a huff.
Base guitarist for Living End is a freak.

Devin Townsend - 4 gigs at various venues over the years, always an extremely tight and entertaining show.
Slipknot at Perth Metro, 2000.
Deftones at Freo Metro 2013, and Warped tour in 1998.
Tool RAC Arena 2020.
Korn Big Day Out in 1999. Most insane moshpit I've ever been in, being picked up and down by the swell of the crowd.
Steven Wilson at Palais Theatre in Melbourne 2018.
Hoodoo Gurus at Mandurah footy ground on New Years Eve 1997. Backed up by Screaming Jets, Grinspoon, and Jebediah. Good times.

Hm's - RATM, Mutemath, Lamb of God, Isis, Flaming Lips, Muse, Meshuggah, Soulfly, Cold Chisel, Metallica.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Band You Have Seen Live

Remove this Banner Ad

Back