Best Captain in the last 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

My logic:
Carey is the third best player of all time, behind Ablett and Matthews, and the second best captain of all time, behind Matthews.

Thus seeing as he captained for a portion of the last 10 years, and lead his team to a Grand Final and a premiership, whilst a top the mantle as probably the best player in the league at the time, he get's my vote.

What happened with Carey was all off- field and had nothing to do with his abilities as a captain and a player on the field. This guy is the greatest CHF ever to play the game, was captain of the AA who knows how many times, was a dual premiership captain, his leadership qualities were pretty much second to none.

Easily the best, no competition, aside from perhaps Voss.

ok here is my team of Captains between 1997-2007 now there will be a few missing, but this is of the top of my head, of who was Captain and when

FB Wanganeen Pavlich Burke*
HB Crawford Grant Bickley
C Bell Voss (vc) Cousins
HF Hird Carey(c) Treadra
FF Johnson Kernahan Riccuito
RUCK Wynd Buckley Kelly
INTER add your own

As i said this is very much of the top of my head and im sure i forgot a few players.

My logic:
Carey is the third best player of all time, behind Ablett and Matthews, and the second best captain of all time, behind Matthews.

Thus seeing as he captained for a portion of the last 10 years, and lead his team to a Grand Final and a premiership, whilst a top the mantle as probably the best player in the league at the time, he get's my vote.

What happened with Carey was all off- field and had nothing to do with his abilities as a captain and a player on the field. This guy is the greatest CHF ever to play the game, was captain of the AA who knows how many times, was a dual premiership captain, his leadership qualities were pretty much second to none.

Easily the best, no competition, aside from perhaps Voss.
I'd say it fair enough to say you never seen Teddy Whitten play the Game? Every person that is old enough to have seen him play, that i have Spoken to has always named him as the best player they have seen, With Matthews.

But I do agree with you That these 3 players, you named have been the best of the past 30 years.

James Hird for mine, but this is how he should have been dressed for all those games.

0,1658,5481478,00.jpg

Anyone who captained that Brisbane side people would have said was the best captain in the last 10 years. Voss was a great captain but anyone could have captained a powerhouse like Brisbane of the early 00's. If Darryl White had have been the premiership captain people would have said the same thing about him they say about Voss

what a load of rubbish.
judging the performance of the captain isnt SOLELY about judging the performance of the team, its about the individuals contribution to that team, both as a player and a leader.

Originally Posted by Premiership Quarter
Clearly Kernahan was the best Captain of his era. He Captained in 1997 which is in the past decade so if we include any Captain thats Captained during this period he is the number 1 by a mile but either way he was clearly the best captain of the previous decade.
No he isn't. They were both great captains, but Carey is close to the greatest captain of all time. His ability to lift his time over the line to victory is unmatched by anyone over the last 20 years.

In 110 posts, there has been six mentions of the great Paul Kelly.
How can he be forgotten about so quickly?
The most inspirational captain IMO, we were immeasurably better simply because he ran out on the field.

I'd have Michael Voss at No.2 and James Hird at No.3.

Wish I could include Kirky but can't because he has never been given the job outright.

lol... You just proved my point. I'm sure hawthorn and tigers fans would also venemously defend the appointment of vanders and johnson. Like it or lump it, Harley is cut from the same cloth. A serviceable, but nothing special player, who the team looks up to and the club deems to be the best leader of the pack. The other nuff nuff suggesting that Harley is up there with the best skippers just because he is a premiership captain is just plain stupid.

You didn't even read my post. Kane Johnson is a poor excuse for a captain, and I think a lot of Richmond fans would even agree with that. He's just filling in time until Deledio or Foley take it on. Vandenburg can't be compared here realistically because he's finished now, and as a captain achieved SFA. Hawthorn will do better under Mitchell and Hodge. Harley is not a flashy player, that is pretty much universally agreed on, and he's got a long way to go to emulate the lofty heights of Voss/Hird etc., but as a captain and a leader he is head and shoulders above his current peers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 110 posts, there has been six mentions of the great Paul Kelly.
How can he be forgotten about so quickly?
The most inspirational captain IMO, we were immeasurably better simply because he ran out on the field.

I'd have Michael Voss at No.2 and James Hird at No.3.

Wish I could include Kirky but can't because he has never been given the job outright.

i just put in a nomination for kelly.....and then i read your post
they didn't call him Captain Courageous for nuthin

yea sorry i forgot about paul kell but when was he captain, cos swans werent that succesful in the late 90's and early 2000's

I'm sure if it was Buckley you would be crying over it.

No, I wouldn't be believe me, and try not making assumptions and/or generalising about people and fans when you have no clue.

Like I said, it was Hird milking the moment for everything it was worth like he always did throughout his career.

Buckley wouldn't be so bloody rediculous, I actually cried when Hird did, laughing so hard because it was one of the most random, sad and over exaggerated things I've ever seen.

No, I wouldn't be believe me, and try not making assumptions and/or generalising about people and fans when you have no clue.

Like I said, it was Hird milking the moment for everything it was worth like he always did throughout his career.

Buckley wouldn't be so bloody rediculous, I actually cried when Hird did, laughing so hard because it was one of the most random, sad and over exaggerated things I've ever seen.

How's he milking the moment? And how do you know that Archer wasn't the one that suggested exchanging jumpers?

Take off your Collingwood goggles for a second and realize that you don't have to hate anything Essendon every chance you get.

Paul Kelly, pure insperation, led by example!

Hird, Roo, Carey all got the best from thier teamates!

(Carey, before his indescretions)

Mate if that's all that is bothering you and would only put him top 3 then you have rocks in your head.
You people cry that Carey hurt a club badly so then he shouldn't be included as a great Captain, but really when was on the field as Captain he did more than any other player here mentioned easily.
You can argue whether Carey was a bastard individual all you like, but at least look at the topic of Captaincy with some objectivity.

Surely this post is a joke isn't it??

Captaincy is all about onfield AND off-field leadership. You can't have one without the other in the role of captain. Carey f*cked over his teammates off-field and dragged the NM name down with it.

Clubs don't let go one of their greatest players and captains if there are not valid reasons to do it.

And for what it's worth, Kelly was a truly inspirational captain, but Voss gets the nod for me, with special mention to Bucks for obvious reasons.

Buckley improved alot in the last couple of years but he wasn't a great Captain, he didn't get the FIGJAM nick for nothing. A Captain has to lead and bind the group to play for each other. Voss definately had that ability, Kelly was another

Buckley was given the name FIGJAM early in his career.
Buckley was appointed captain in 1999, when the CFC was arguably at the lowest point in its history. Since Buckley was appointed captain the club has flourished on and off the field to again become a powerhouse.

The team supposedly 'over-achieved' in 02-03, with most experts not thinking the team was talented enough to make the GF.......plenty of credit for that has to go to Buckley for leading the bunch of 'goers' to consecutive GF's.

Buckley easily sits alongside the best captains of the modern era, how you split them is based on personal bias......and with most people disliking Buckley and the CFC most would pick others above Bucks.

But his record speaks for itself......he took over when club was at its lowest ebb, and quickly turned it round........and left the club in a much better position than when he took over the captaincy.......how many of Carey, Voss, Ricciuto, Hird etc. can claim that??

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Captain in the last 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back