Best Concert You've Been To?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cold Chisel at Festival Hall on the Ringside tour was great.

I remember seeing Ian Moss at a number of pubs when he released Matchbook back in 1988.

Hoodoo Gurus at Festival Hall in 88 or 89 was great on the Magnum Come Louder Tour.

U2 in 87 or so for the "When Love Comes Back To Town" tour with BB King.

Springsteen's accoustic shows in 1996 at the Palais was fantastic. Great recordings of these shows are out there and I play them regularly, his current solo shows in the US are sensational, I've been downloading them all.

Paul Kelly last year at the Spiegeltent in Melbourne when he played 100 songs over 4 nights in alphabetical order. He is doing the same this year, but I can't make it because of work.

Hotel 6 said:
Cold Chisel at Festival Hall on the Ringside tour was great.

I remember seeing Ian Moss at a number of pubs when he released Matchbook back in 1988.

Hoodoo Gurus at Festival Hall in 88 or 89 was great on the Magnum Come Louder Tour.

U2 in 87 or so for the "When Love Comes Back To Town" tour with BB King.

Springsteen's accoustic shows in 1996 at the Palais was fantastic. Great recordings of these shows are out there and I play them regularly, his current solo shows in the US are sensational, I've been downloading them all.

Paul Kelly last year at the Spiegeltent in Melbourne when he played 100 songs over 4 nights in alphabetical order. He is doing the same this year, but I can't make it because of work.

I wish I saw those shows. My brother went to that one. He said it was a really good show and people got kicked out for yelling 'Bbbbbbbrrrrrruuuuuucccccccceeeee'. Ghost of Tom Joad is a sensational record. I saw him at Telstra Dome in 2003. Brilliant show, but the sound was a bit off.

Heard any rumours of him returning here as part of the Devils and Dust tour?

Greenday 1996 Festival Hall.
Silverchair @ the Palace. It was recorded for MTV Europe for the release of Freakshow.
Guns n Roses at Calder Park.
AC/DC any time I have seen them.
Midnight Oil on there 20,000 watt RSL tour.
Pearl Jam
Metallica at BDO
SOAD
Billy Joel/Elton John at the MCG
U2 @ the MCG

brian wilson- kings park- the guy is a genius fuking briliant
fleetwood mac- WACA-the ultimate pro band just put on a great tight show.
foo fighters- Belvouir- great rock band really entertaining
no doubt- great live hordon pavillian

bad shows
the eagles- sound was shocking at subi shame the dvd was great from the melb show.
RHCP-crap through crap, boring to busy being a ******** to actually play music.

Bee Gees backed by a 40 piece orchestra at State Theatre in Sydney over 30 years back. Russell Morris in support. Magic stuff!

AC~DC Back in Black at Myer Music Bowl about 20 years ago. Supported by The Angels. Both incredible.

John Fogerty(ex Credence Clearwater Revival) last night at A Day on the Green..... just sensational!

Plenty of other good stuff in between along the way like Joe Cocker at the Enmore Theatre, Billy Thorpe, etc.

Worst concerts ever include Eric Claptoff at the venue converted from the old Melbourne Olympic Swimming Stadium(shocking acoustics) and Daryl Braithwaite.

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds-1987-The Venue St Kilda
The Ramones-1989-The Palace
Iggy Pop-1989-The Palace
Henry Rollins-1988-The Old Greek Theatre
Buzzcocks-2003-The Prince Of Wales
Violent Femmes-1990-The Palace
Mick Jagger-1989-The Corner

Many local gigs with Cosmic Psychos, Hard Ons, Painters and Dockers, I Spit In Your Gravy, Harem Scarem and other bands were always huge events. Melbourne had the best scene in the world in the late '80s and the early '90s bar none. Yes and that includes Seattle.

windyhill said:
Brilliant night.
Lee Roth what an entertainer !!
Vai ? Supreme.

Steve Vai, is that the guy who wore the spandex jump suits? If so he told a friend of mine that we "were dressed strangely" that night. Coming from a guy wearing a spandex jump suit! And WE were dressed strangely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many, many gigs over the years. Some of the more memorable ones:

Jason & The Scorchers @ The Palace '87.
Frank Zappa @ Festival Hall "75/76?"
Kinks @ Festivall Hall "82".
Johnny Winter @ Festival Hall '86.
Joe Walsh Band w/ Waddy Wachtel on guitar @ Corner (early 80's).
TurboNegro @Corner '03.
Canned Heat @Dallas Brooks mid 70's.
Smithereens, Frank Black,@ Palace, Godfathers, Alex Chilton @ P.O.W.
On numerous occasions Iggy Pop, Ramones, Teenage Fanclub, Supersuckers, Richard Thompson,Neil Young (esp. w/ Crazy Horse),Young Heart Attack (awesome, see "em" if u get the chance), Bo Didley,Steve Marriot, Hellacopters, Wayne Kramer/MC5, Mudhoney.

Best local gigs over the years, Aztecs (Sunbury era), Coloured Balls, Carson, La De Das, Master's Apprentices, Dingoes, Red House Roll Band, Sid Rumpo, Wild Beaver Band, Radio Birdman, Sunnyboys, Headstones, Lime Spiders, Screaming Tribesmen, Died Pretty (inconsistent but awesome when on song), Celibate Rifles (prob. the best),
Harem Scarem (how good LocalYokel!), Dubrovniks, Cosmic Psycho's, Johnnys, Fireballs (sensational), Hoss,etc., some lesser knowns: Radio Luxemberg, Fez Perez, Orange County,Casanova's (original line up).

Some good recent gigs have been Steve Earle & The Dukes, Dead Moon, Mark Lanegan Band, Southern Culture on the Skids.

Probably a few i've forgotten.

Dogs 13 said:
I saw The Kinks there early 70's too.

Also saw a double header of The Who and Small Faces at Festival Hall in 1968. Supported by Paul Jones who had been the singer for Manfred Mann.

The show ended as usual with Townshend smashing his guitar and Moon kicking his Pictures of Lily drums over and the place filled with smoke. That was the 1st show of the night, can you believe they did 2 shows a night.

I dream of this!

tomaraya said:
Metallica at Festival Hall in 1989 (Damaged Justice tour).

Honorable mentions:
Faith No More - Festival Hall (Touring on Angel Dust)
Slayer - Festival Hall (all tours)
System of a Down - The Palace (BDO sideshow)
Metallica - Myer Music Bowl (BDO sideshow)
Ozzy Ozbourne - Festival Hall (Ozzmosis tour)
Iron Maiden - Festival Hall (No prayer for Dying tour ???)
Anthrax - Entertainment centre (Persistence of Time tour)

Saw all of the above except Ozzy but at the Hordern Pav in Sydney.
Anthrax were awesome and had the crowd going nuts but have to agree with Metallica on the Justice Tour - raw and powerfull (Mortal Sin did a good job supporting them.

Couple of others that rocked
Motley Crue at the Syd Ent Centre - Dr Feelgood
AC/DC at the same venue on the Razors Edge Tour. Seated first of the First tier of seating with about 10 mates going off. Had an equal number of police standing right below us thinking we might cause mayhem or something. After a while they realised our behavious was the norm and dispersed.

Scatterbrain with Defx at Promises Sylvania(pub venue in the Sutherland Shire) Great night even with a carpet burn on my face when the crowd parted mid stage dive(at least someone caught my ankles :D ).

cats56 said:
Canned Heat @Dallas Brooks mid 70's.
Brings back some great memories :thumbsu:

"I'm going up the country, babe don't you wanna go
I'm going up the country, babe don't you wanna go
I'm going to some place where I've never been before
I'm going, I'm going where the water tastes like wine
Well I'm going where the water tastes like wine
We can jump in the water, stay drunk all the time

I'm gonna leave this city, got to get away
I'm gonna leave this city, got to get away
All this fussing and fighting, man, you know I sure can't stay"

w00dy said:
that would've ruled... never heard of that venue, obviously isn't around any more... how big was it?
Commercial rd Prahran just near the railway lines its not there anymore I think its a heavy metal venue now .. great night 2 of us dragged along by anothet friend who had seen them on another bill about a month or two earlier Support bands were a 3 piece from Queensland called Budd and Frenzal Rhomb !! .. Maximum of about 200 people in the place " M&M's had just been released as a single ,had a camera with us we took about 10 photos before getting nailed from behind and camera spent the rest of the show in front of Mark Hoppus amp wich he kindly returned after they finished grabbed a handfull of tickets on our way out for keeps sake not thinking for a minute how big a keep sake they would be ," borrowed" the 2meter by 2 meter tour poster off an outside wall my mate still has it and is often tempted to e-bay it . saw them one more time when they played The Corner with Living End as support . dude ranch was a month or two from release but the crowd was really starting to change far too many F#$kwits in Quicksilver T-Shirts ...

Pink Floyd at tennis center in 86? would have to be one of the best i've seen.
Metalica at same venue in 93 were just huge. They were an awesome band back then.
Kiss Farewell at Rod Laver was a really top night. Ace was ace.
Bob Dylan with Patty Smith support was a great show. Best version of Highway 61 i've heard.
Also remember seeing Baby Animals back in 93 or 94? and remember it being a top night.

Frenzal Rhomb at the Factory in january and the Metro in november were both absolutely awesome, so much fun and great band.
NOFX in February this year was great.
As was Dropkick Murphys in March and Bad Religion in November
And pennywise last year, The Living End at the Enmore in 2004 was also great

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Concert You've Been To?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back