Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets bring some names into the debate, just not numbers. Not a bad team with Madden in the ruck and Lloyd at full forward... Always very hard to compare eras and unless the schools play each other who knows. Goes in cycles too.

FOOTBALL AFL/VFL - St Bernard's - 50 Players.
NAME CLUB GAMES GOALS
Bentick, Adam CARLTON 14 2
Berry, Bill ESSENDON 14 4
FOOTSCRAY 43 15
NORTH MELBOURNE 12 0
Bolton, Jude SYDNEY SWANS 139 69
Calthorpe, David ESSENDON 92 45
BRISBANE 9 2
NORTH MELBOURNE 13 10
Cartledge, Tristan ESSENDON 4 1
Collins, David ESSENDON 14 6
Cook, James CARLTON 25 35
FOOTSCRAY 49 96
MELBOURNE 3 8
Cross, Daniel WESTERN BULLDOGS 46 4
Darcy, David FOOTSCRAY 133 48
Davis, Michael ESSENDON 4 1
SYDNEY SWANS 1 1
Doran, Paul ESSENDON 82 34
Egan, Kevin ESSENDON 54 13
Fanning, John ESSENDON 6 1
Filandia, Peter ESSENDON 13 15
SYDNEY SWANS 70 38
Foulds, Garry ESSENDON 300 140
Grbac, Anton ESSENDON 2 0
Hamilton, Paul ESSENDON 102 6
Hampson, Roger ESSENDON 10 1
Iacobucci, Adam COLLINGWOOD 3 0
Johnston, Andrew FITZROY 9 3
Johnston, David ESSENDON 41 6
FITZROY 25 1
Keane, Gavin ESSENDON 29 18
BRISBANE 7 0
Lalor, Ray ESSENDON 6 2
Lloyd, Brad HAWTHORN 11 3
Lloyd, Matthew ESSENDON 209 754
Lucas, Scott ESSENDON 203 303
McAllester, Jim ESSENDON 2 0
FOOTSCRAY 24 4
COLLINGWOOD 10 18
McKenzie, Don FOOTSCRAY 138 128
McKernan, Noel NORTH MELBOURNE 11 0
McLean, Ricky CARLTON 19 35
RICHMOND 39 103
Madden, Justin ESSENDON 45 20
CARLTON 287 170
Madden, Simon ESSENDON 378 575
Mitchell, Nick FITZROY 9 2
Morgan, Daniel ESSENDON 16 2
O’Dwyer, Steven MELBOURNE 84 45
RICHMOND 5 0
O’Halloran, Jack ESSENDON 10 3
NORTH MELBOURNE 75 56
FOOTSCRAY 17 13
Pagan, Ryan NORTH MELBOURNE 3 0
Paine, Brian ESSENDON 1 0
Prest, Warren ESSENDON 3 0
Reynolds, Joel ESSENDON 27 7
Sholl, Brad NORTH MELBOURNE 2 0
GEELONG 169 46
Sholl, Brett CARLTON 35 9
Stubbs, Justin ESSENDON 3 5
Swan, Dane COLLINGWOOD 30 5
Trusler, Alan FOOTSCRAY 16 30
Trusler, Wally FOOTSCRAY 1 0
Tuckey, Brent COLLINGWOOD 18 8
WEST COAST EAGLES 3
Tudor, Leigh NORTH MELBOURNE 8 6
GEELONG 60 53
Welsh, John ESSENDON 9 0
Welsh, Rohan CARLTON 42 59

AP70 said:
Lets bring some names into the debate, just not numbers. Not a bad team with Madden in the ruck and Lloyd at full forward... Always very hard to compare eras and unless the schools play each other who knows. Goes in cycles too.

NAME CLUB GAMES GOALS
FOOTSCRAY 43 15
NORTH MELBOURNE 12 0
BRISBANE 9 2
NORTH MELBOURNE 13 10
FOOTSCRAY 49 96
MELBOURNE 3 8
SYDNEY SWANS 1 1
SYDNEY SWANS 70 38
FITZROY 25 1
BRISBANE 7 0
Lalor, Ray ESSENDON 6 2
FOOTSCRAY 24 4
COLLINGWOOD 10 18
RICHMOND 39 103
CARLTON 287 170
RICHMOND 5 0
NORTH MELBOURNE 75 56
FOOTSCRAY 17 13
GEELONG 169 46
WEST COAST EAGLES 3
GEELONG 60 53
Welsh, John ESSENDON 9 0
only 50 players.....Assumption have had over 130 players play AFL/VFL. No questions about it...Assumption is the best of all time

AP70 said:

NAME CLUB GAMES GOALS
FOOTSCRAY 43 15
NORTH MELBOURNE 12 0
BRISBANE 9 2
NORTH MELBOURNE 13 10
FOOTSCRAY 49 96
MELBOURNE 3 8
SYDNEY SWANS 1 1
SYDNEY SWANS 70 38
FITZROY 25 1
BRISBANE 7 0
Lalor, Ray ESSENDON 6 2
FOOTSCRAY 24 4
COLLINGWOOD 10 18
RICHMOND 39 103
CARLTON 287 170
RICHMOND 5 0
NORTH MELBOURNE 75 56
FOOTSCRAY 17 13
GEELONG 169 46
WEST COAST EAGLES 3
GEELONG 60 53
Welsh, John ESSENDON 9 0

At the moment they also have Ben Jolley and James Wall on rookie lists too. The 2003 Herald Sun Shield winning side was probably the strongest they've had in a while, even though though choked in the ACC Grand Final to De La Salle. The 2004 side also made the ACC Grand Final (lost by 5 points) and the Herald Sun Shield Final (lost by 4 points), both against arch rival Whitefriars. Last year, the team failed but that batch of Year 12's was always very thin in depth. This years side has a number of guns and should follow in the footsteps of the 03/04 sides.

oldtimer said:
If you were to do your homework I'm sure that you will find Parade College in the ACC have a record of similar nature to the 2 schools you have mentioned. 4 herald Shields in the 90's is a fair effort. Assumption - AGS, Xavier - APS, Parade - ACC.
ta start with mate parade dont have a similiar record assumptions record is historically greater than any team in the australia in any sport proven fact and second of all you cannot possibly try and compare the ags n aps to the acc those two leagues are far far greater than the acc

AP70 said:

NAME CLUB GAMES GOALS
FOOTSCRAY 43 15
NORTH MELBOURNE 12 0
BRISBANE 9 2
NORTH MELBOURNE 13 10
FOOTSCRAY 49 96
MELBOURNE 3 8
SYDNEY SWANS 1 1
SYDNEY SWANS 70 38
FITZROY 25 1
BRISBANE 7 0
Lalor, Ray ESSENDON 6 2
FOOTSCRAY 24 4
COLLINGWOOD 10 18
RICHMOND 39 103
CARLTON 287 170
RICHMOND 5 0
NORTH MELBOURNE 75 56
FOOTSCRAY 17 13
GEELONG 169 46
WEST COAST EAGLES 3
GEELONG 60 53
Welsh, John ESSENDON 9 0
assumption have had far greater numbers than that go on to play first class footy n players like crawford daniher brownless

The Shev said:
At the moment they also have Ben Jolley and James Wall on rookie lists too. The 2003 Herald Sun Shield winning side was probably the strongest they've had in a while, even though though choked in the ACC Grand Final to De La Salle. The 2004 side also made the ACC Grand Final (lost by 5 points) and the Herald Sun Shield Final (lost by 4 points), both against arch rival Whitefriars. Last year, the team failed but that batch of Year 12's was always very thin in depth. This years side has a number of guns and should follow in the footsteps of the 03/04 sides.
I reckon the Parade Team will give them a run for their money this year

Long JOhn said:

Spot on, Parade will give St. Bernard's and the Herald Shield a real shake this year with their best team out on the park

future29 said:
ta start with mate parade dont have a similiar record assumptions record is historically greater than any team in the australia in any sport proven fact and second of all you cannot possibly try and compare the ags n aps to the acc those two leagues are far far greater than the acc

I am not comparing competitions, I am comparing each schools record. Assumption is by far the greatest, however, Parade have won 25 premierships in their history and 7 herald shields since 1983. You can only beat what is put in front of you.

However at the moment the APS seem to be a long way ahead of the rest but lets be honest the AGS is a very ordinary comp with the exception of ACK, Marcellin, PEGS and Ivanhoe.

Long JOhn said:

St. Joseph's Geelong is looking solid also! I think 11 players on the Geelong Falcons list are attending ST. Joseph's this year. Current AFL players from St. Joseph's are Cameron Ling, James Bartel, Matthew Scarlett, Nick Maxwell, Joel Renoylds, Danny Stanley, Shaun Higgins.

future29 said:
assumption have had far greater numbers than that go on to play first class footy n players like crawford daniher brownless

True but SBC has only been around since 1940 and produced its 1st VFL player in the early 50's. More interested to see how many players other schools have produced since 1940.

Assumption, if I assume correctly, is over 100 years old?

50 players over 66 years is not a bad effort. Thats an average of .75 players a year. What is Assumptions average over the life of the school?

Lloyd > Brownless
S Madden > Daniher or Crawford

Can any ex Assumption players top 378 games or 754 goals? ;)

AP70 said:
True but SBC has only been around since 1940 and produced its 1st VFL player in the early 50's. More interested to see how many players other schools have produced since 1940.

50 players over 66 years is not a bad effort. Thats an average of .75 players a year. What is Assumptions average over the life of the school?

Lloyd > Brownless

132 players in just over 100 years = about 1.3 per year. nearly double the amount from sbc. Clearly Assumption is the best football school in australia. Dont even try to come up with any other schools because you are just embarrassing yourself

AP70 said:

Lloyd > Brownless

can we produce blah blah games n blah blah goals its called the brownlow medal m8 u kow the most prestigeous award that exists in the afl yeah im prety sure we got one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kingfooty said:
132 players in just over 100 years = about 1.3 per year. nearly double the amount from sbc. Clearly Assumption is the best football school in australia. Dont even try to come up with any other schools because you are just embarrassing yourself

I went to SHC many ,many years ago and played against Assumption a couple of times. I recall even then that they hadn't been beaten for about 8 or 9 years. We were undefeated in S.A. but got our arses kicked by Assumption.

Even in the '60s and 70s they were known as a VFL production line.

oldtimer said:
I am not comparing competitions, I am comparing each schools record. Assumption is by far the greatest, however, Parade have won 25 premierships in their history and 7 herald shields since 1983. You can only beat what is put in front of you.

However at the moment the APS seem to be a long way ahead of the rest but lets be honest the AGS is a very ordinary comp with the exception of ACK, Marcellin, PEGS and Ivanhoe.

Assumption has won tripple the amount of premierships Parade has had, and bosts never finishing lower than 3rd in the AGS/APS in their history.

Madden and Lloyd vs The Dannihers, Francis Bourke, Brownless, Crimmins, Crawford, Serafini......

St Bernards & Whitefriars are definately the powerhouses of the ACC

In the Father Keenan Cup held between Xavier and Assumption college annualy, the score is now 13-12 in Xavier's favour. This is not to say who's better or not, but rather, recently it's been as close as you can get. Both schools records' are relitively close and excedingly good though. Best in Victoria.

I'll chuck in my 2 cents worth, without bagging some of the other schools.

I'm an Assumption "Old Boy" - class of '85. In my era, the strongest of the rival schools were (Xavier, Parade, Marcellin, St Pats - Ballarat, Sacred Heart - Adelaide - and Melbourne High).

Although the Melbourne High team was 'stacked' with Melbourne & Richmond Under 19 recruits and a few senior players - they still weren't as strong as some of the others.

We also played a full strength Melbourne under 19's (they finished 3rd in the VFL that season) team that year, coached by Slug Jordan. We had a 6 goal lead at 3/4 time, and old Slug knew he wouldn't get the win - so he sent his boys out (12-18 months older than ours) and instructed them to go the knuckle and fix up the boarding school fairies. We had 5-6 blokes end up in hospital or KO'd in the end, but still won by 8 goals.

Many of our pre season games were similiar to this, as there was little point playing scratch matches against run of the mill school teams. For a challenge and improvement, we typically played against senior teams (Kilmore, Wallan, Darley, Alexandria or regional junior teams such as NSW Under 19 teams) - can't recall us losing one of these scratch games - although after half time, opposing sides would usually go the knuckle on us once they realised they were getting a towelling from a bunch of kids. The only senior side I remember that didn't, was a game played against the inmates in Pentridge, behind the bluestone walls. Plenty of solid tackles and bumps, but no cheap shots.

A few of the rival sides back in those days (and still do now) top up their sporting teams with scholarships. I remember our boys going to play Mentone Grammar one day in the tennis, and they faced the Malaysian Davis Cup team. Ditto with athletics, swimming and even footy as VFL/AFL clubs - now it's TAC sides sending players to 'preferred' schools. Thats' one thing Assumption can claim - not a single scholarship & no active recruiting of players. Just a good blend of raw talent from the bush who embraced the culture and usually played good footy.

I'm pretty sure that Assumption has dipped a bit (but still strong) in recent years, and I'd put that down to a massive drop in boarders attending the school. (i.e harder economic times on the farm = less boarders), and not as many kids from the Riverina or Northern Victoria are students or part of the available talent pool.

But or arguments sake, the history of the school as a talent ground is second to none.

FWIW - there was a time in the 1980's, following Sth Melbourne's move to Sydney that the Under 19's comp was running as an 11 team comp, and Assumption were considering entering a team to fill the void - just to paint the picture of how strong a few of the school sides were back then.

Would've been good enough to make the finals as well, despite being an Under 18 team, compared to an Under 19 comp.

Lidge said:
I'll chuck in my 2 cents worth, without bagging some of the other schools.

I'm an Assumption "Old Boy" - class of '85. In my era, the strongest of the rival schools were (Xavier, Parade, Marcellin, St Pats - Ballarat, Sacred Heart - Adelaide - and Melbourne High).

Although the Melbourne High team was 'stacked' with Melbourne & Richmond Under 19 recruits and a few senior players - they still weren't as strong as some of the others.

We also played a full strength Melbourne under 19's (they finished 3rd in the VFL that season) team that year, coached by Slug Jordan. We had a 6 goal lead at 3/4 time, and old Slug knew he wouldn't get the win - so he sent his boys out (12-18 months older than ours) and instructed them to go the knuckle and fix up the boarding school fairies. We had 5-6 blokes end up in hospital or KO'd in the end, but still won by 8 goals.

Many of our pre season games were similiar to this, as there was little point playing scratch matches against run of the mill school teams. For a challenge and improvement, we typically played against senior teams (Kilmore, Wallan, Darley, Alexandria or regional junior teams such as NSW Under 19 teams) - can't recall us losing one of these scratch games - although after half time, opposing sides would usually go the knuckle on us once they realised they were getting a towelling from a bunch of kids. The only senior side I remember that didn't, was a game played against the inmates in Pentridge, behind the bluestone walls. Plenty of solid tackles and bumps, but no cheap shots.

A few of the rival sides back in those days (and still do now) top up their sporting teams with scholarships. I remember our boys going to play Mentone Grammar one day in the tennis, and they faced the Malaysian Davis Cup team. Ditto with athletics, swimming and even footy as VFL/AFL clubs - now it's TAC sides sending players to 'preferred' schools. Thats' one thing Assumption can claim - not a single scholarship & no active recruiting of players. Just a good blend of raw talent from the bush who embraced the culture and usually played good footy.

I'm pretty sure that Assumption has dipped a bit (but still strong) in recent years, and I'd put that down to a massive drop in boarders attending the school. (i.e harder economic times on the farm = less boarders), and not as many kids from the Riverina or Northern Victoria are students or part of the available talent pool.

But or arguments sake, the history of the school as a talent ground is second to none.

FWIW - there was a time in the 1980's, following Sth Melbourne's move to Sydney that the Under 19's comp was running as an 11 team comp, and Assumption were considering entering a team to fill the void - just to paint the picture of how strong a few of the school sides were back then.

Would've been good enough to make the finals as well, despite being an Under 18 team, compared to an Under 19 comp.

You'd be surprised, theres still a fair amount of interest from boarders. Around 20-30 per year level on average. And still the boarders dominate the sporting culture.

mitch_fc said:
you guys ever seen Eltham High play??? some serious talent been down there in recent years.
if that is true maybe the panthers should be down there recruiting so they can play divvy 1 finals for the first time in over 20 years.

lakersman said:
i think it would be St Patricks college Ballarat
what does everyone else think?

St Pats would have to be the best football skool i have ever seen and many people would have to agree.

johnson_26 said:
if thatw as the case choobhead, then why on the earth did:
1. BCC win the CHISSA/ BSSSA First XV football championship in 2005- in the same competition as st pats
2. Come runner up in the past 2 years MCC Herlad Sun Country Shield
3. Whoop St. Pats' ass in the previous 2005 CHISSA/BSSSA premiership season???

BCC= betetr than ST Pats atm

Can tell you for a fact buddy, st pats no where near had there best side in againts BCC in the chissa, we were resting our gun players as they were consentrating on TAC cup footy and nursing injuries, we only consentrated on the Herald sun sheild comp. Dont see you winning a Herald sun sheild in 2005 mate. talk when ya win one

Remove this Banner Ad

Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back