Best Footy Brains in the Comp

Remove this Banner Ad

blues_brilliance

Debutant
Jan 11, 2001
This covers so many, aspects, I know, but who do you reckon?

I am really warming to Nick Riewoldt - young and smart - but obviously there are a lot of good old heads as well. Thoughts?

Actually, your mentioning of Ramma has got me thinking - what about one B.Caracella? He annoys me so much I respect his ability to get into perfect position.

Stephen Milne
Brett Montgomery
Martin Pike
Shane O'Bree
Ben Cousins
Peter Bell
John Barker
Lance Whitnall
Danny Jacobs
Andrew McLeod
David King
Scott West

Lance Whitnall is a football genius. His brain in an athlete's body would be scary.

Mark Bickley strikes me as an intelligent footballer.

One of our problems is that we don't have too many footy-smart players. Daniel Harford probably the best in the side (or out of the side, as the case may be).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by hotpie

Up until today it was Tony Lockett.

Tony Lockett used to have one of the best football brains going around, occasionally shrouded with a red mist.

Originally posted by Falchoon

Funnily enough the bird in your Avatar sees the world through only one eye.

No, if that were true he would've said Cuz, the obvious selectio. Ash is actually a good pick... As for picking an Eagle, you can only judge what you know can't you? :confused:

I would have thought Andrew McKay would be a good nomination here. His skills are good (not great) but his toughness and smarts make him one of the best backman in the competition.

For all time, Michael Tuck. His last couple of years when the body wasn't cooperating was compensated for by being the smartest player in the game. He always knew when not to pick up the ball. He often would let loose with a little tap off the ground which created an opportunity for a teammate, when a player with less football smarts would have attempted to pick up the ball, invariably get tackled and lose possession.

Spider Burton has the best footy brain in the comp.

For someone to be so good at what he does, with his obvious physical detractions, is to me a footballing genius. His body moves slowly, but he has the ability to evade players half his size, twice his weight and with far superior leg speed. Even things as basic as the way he postions himself during general play, and his ability to know when to drift forward or play loose man in defence.

Nearly every opponent he plays has a least one clear physical advantage over him. Some have 4 or 5. Most are stronger, faster, better kicks, better vertical leap, bigger bodies, better marks etc. The genius lies in the fact that he makes most of these blokes look like fools. If Burton is in our best three players, we usually win the game.

IMO, he is also one of the most underated players I have ever seen. Everyone (including me sometimes) laughs at the way he looks, but most of the time he is bloody effective, and is most likely giving your ruckman a bath.

Originally posted by Falchoon

Tony Lockett used to have one of the best football brains going around, occasionally shrouded with a red mist.

Yes but attempting a comeback hardly showed that he was that clever.

From Hawthorn Nick Ries is a very intelligent young footballer, as is Sam Mitchell. Ang Lekkas and Jade Rawlings out of the experienced blokes, and Simon Cox.

The Hitman

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Footy Brains in the Comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back