• Tony Modra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gary Lyon

• Kingsley Hunter

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if I was picking my full forward of the 90's I would go Plugger, not just because of his goal kicking but his presence outweighs the rest of the players. Dunstall a close second.

I saw a thing comparing the dominant forwards of the 80's and 90's (plus franklin) at 21 Dunstall had 16 matches under his belt. At 21 Lockett had near 100, Ablett had 50, as did Carey.... Concidering that, Dunstall number 1 for what he did. Also note Dunstall missed 3 seasons with injuries.

You can't make a clear argument out of Lockett, Ablett and Dunstall...depends what you want in a forward. All 3 were perfectly suited to their respective sides (mainly because the sides were created around them to a certain extent once their talents had matured). As a skilled ball getter and team plan player, Dunstall might edge the others, presence and technical kicking ability goes to Lockett, and as far as brilliance and creativity goes, it's Ablett. But all this is based upon what we saw, not on what we know they could do. Put Lockett in Hawthorn and he'd handball more often than usual but wouldn't be as mobile, put Dunstall in Geelong and you wouldn't see quite so many spectacular highlights (but you would see Brownless and co kick more goals by being given the ball), and put Ablett in St Kilda or Sydney and he might find his supplies drying up a bit, and as a result the spectacular would give way to a bit more of the basic ball getting stuff, because Ablett wasn't the man mountain presence that Lockett was...

I think the Hunter eyebrow argument is the only other consideration, and probably the only one with a clear answer...!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plugger in his saints days was at times unstoppable.Ablett ,i feel would have been a champ in any position.Dunstall distant 3rd

I saw a thing comparing the dominant forwards of the 80's and 90's (plus franklin) at 21 Dunstall had 16 matches under his belt. At 21 Lockett had near 100, Ablett had 50, as did Carey.... Concidering that, Dunstall number 1 for what he did. Also note Dunstall missed 3 seasons with injuries.

That's incorrect.

Ablett had played 0 games at age 21.

MODRA!!!!! for the pure entertainment and excitment he brought to the game

You would just know that at some point during the game he'd take a hanger it's what you went to see plus there was added bonus he could kick bags of goals. 13 against carlton one day more goals than the whole carlton score combined!

He was 'God like' in South Australia he Still is today!

I would say Lockett, but only just. Dunstall and Ablett had better delivery and played in better sides than Lockett did more the majority of their days. I mean, I could have kicked 6 goals most weeks with Jarman, Pritchard, Ben Allen, Platten etc kicking it to me the way they did. Dunstall most unselfish of the 3, Ablett most dynamic, Lockett most deadly when kicking for goal.

In saying that, best hauls by each player
Dunstall - 17.5
Lockett - 16.1
Ablett - 14.6 or something like that.

Plugger, Ablett and Dunstall were all great full forwards and their record speaks for themselves, but as much as it pains me to admit, the one I enjoyed watching the most was Tony Modra. Ablett was pretty exiting as well, but Modra had such an X factor. Dunstall and plugger were much more your lead, mark, goal kind of full forwards, which is fine and good, but Modra was genuinely exiting to watch.

For the true definition of Full Forward it would be Plugger by a nose from the Chief....................but Ablett was a freak full-stop............and Modra certainly would put together a fair highlights reel. Absolute spectacular mark!

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Full Forward of the 90s

Back