Best Grand Final Side Since 1990?

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Brisbane 2001 - Best 22 on a park I've seen. Beat a team that shit it in the previous year.
2. Carlton 1995 - Great team conisdering there were some very good sides around them. Salary cap cheating or not, they were a great team
3. Essendon 2000 - I actually think that 2000 was an 'easier' year if you could call it that. Essendon were dominant but it was somewhat exaggerated. Melbourne, Carlton, North were the other top 4 sides and none of them were that good
4. Geelong 2007 - Again dominant season, but played a team who probably shouldnt have been there. Still one of the best, if they go back to back they will be one of the greatest.
5. West Coast 1992 - Had some very tough competition in Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood. Geelong were rampant all season, had the likes of Ablett, Hocking, Stoneham a team of champions but West Coast were a champion team.

hard to say, depends on the opposition. Brisbane in '01 beat a bloody good side, as did Port in '04.

:thumbsu: agree

Brisbane were out on their last legs in 04'

Port weren't that good

Yet in that finals series Port beat Geelong (4th), Saints (3rd) & Brisbane (2nd) what more could they do?

Just happy the Cats are finally part of a debate like this. Personally favour either Essendon 00 or Carlton 95, who both dominated their home and away season and then blitzed all their finals. We were only into the GF thanks to Ottens, but were rampant in the other two finals and for 18 weeks of the home and aways.

Just happy the Cats are finally part of a debate like this. Personally favour either Essendon 00 or Carlton 95, who both dominated their home and away season and then blitzed all their finals. We were only into the GF thanks to Ottens, but were rampant in the other two finals and for 18 weeks of the home and aways.

Carlton only beat the Bears by 13 points thanks to the umpires! :cool:

1. Brisbane 2001 - Best 22 on a park I've seen. Beat a team that shit it in the previous year.
2. Carlton 1995 - Great team conisdering there were some very good sides around them. Salary cap cheating or not, they were a great team
3. Essendon 2000 - I actually think that 2000 was an 'easier' year if you could call it that. Essendon were dominant but it was somewhat exaggerated. Melbourne, Carlton, North were the other top 4 sides and none of them were that good
4. Geelong 2007 - Again dominant season, but played a team who probably shouldnt have been there. Still one of the best, if they go back to back they will be one of the greatest.
5. West Coast 1992 - Had some very tough competition in Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood. Geelong were rampant all season, had the likes of Ablett, Hocking, Stoneham a team of champions but West Coast were a champion team.

I actually think you're onto something here. The Brisbane team of 2001 beat an Essendon team that only had 3 players different from their 2000 team. By default if the Essendon team of 2000 is somewhere on this list (most people, including me, agree that they should be) then the Brisbane team of 2001 should be on top, seeing they were able to beat another obviously great team.

2000. Essendon
1995. Carlton
2001. Brisbane
2007. Geelong
1996. North Melbourne
2003. Brisbane
1994. West Coast
2004. Port Adelaide
2002. Brisbane
1990. Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make it best since 1989 and I hate to say that the Hawks would be on top. We live in a world where people forget the past. That Hwks side of 89 were awesome. Back to back premiers, they had off the top of my head, Dunstall, Brereton, Platten, Mew, Langford, Collins, Ayres, Tuck, Dipper, Morrisey... the list goes on. Best goal to goal line I can think of!

Gotta be 1991. Best Grand Final at Waverley.

Surely you jest. Hawthorn that year snuck past a Geelong side who lost Ablett and Hinkley to soft suspensions by 2 points in the semi final, then played an Eagles side who had to travel from Perth to Melbourne twice in two weeks while having a week off themselves. Even then, it wasn't until the last quarter that you shook them off.

Hardly the best grand final side there. I'm sure the four teams mentioned most often...the 2000 Essendon side, 1995 Carlton side, 2001 Brisbane side and 2007 Geelong side, would beat the 1991 Hawks side by 10 goals plus if they were to meet.

port won the gf in a year where 15 other sides was rebuilding kinda the same as geelong this year they only won the grand final because all other 15 teams was in the rebuilding stage, if all sides was at maximum level geelong and port wouldnt have made the top 8 this year

Hahaha how long until Carlton is back at 'maximum level'? Ge tback in your cave you fecking idiot.

Based on the team they beat i'd say Brisbane 2001 or Us 2004.

Based on Talent, Geelong 2007, Essendon 2000, Brisbane over all 3 years.

We'd be considered up there if we didn't choke in 2002-03. We had a great side for those years, even with Primus and Francou out, but we couldnt get it done in september.

haha and where was stkilda in all of this oh waite thats right still trying to peak mwahahahaha

Um. St Kilda were 6 points away from a Grand Final, and featured in one of the best games I have ever seen in the 2004 preliminary final.

Where was Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Grand Final Side Since 1990?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back