Best Rumour

Remove this Banner Ad

longbombfrom50

Debutant
Jul 9, 2001
Getting to the time of the season where it all happens.
8 teams have no say in the competition at this stage so they are all in the planning for their futures.

To go along with this the trade rumours are flying thick and fast.

What are the best trade rumours you have heard?

Mine; McKernan to Collingwood for Tarrant as it is reported Tarrant does not wan to continue to play in the same team as Buckley

Rumor has it that if tarrant does want to leave collingwood.
Fremantle are leading the race to sign for his services.

New rumor put forward on the freo board (curtisy for one eye), is that shannon grant was in perth with his manager.He is a good friend of peter bells and was probally having talks with freo management.

Hey its a longshot,but it caught my eye

First of all there is no way Collingwood would swap Tarrant for McKernan.

Tarrant is in the elite of the AFL's youth. He would be in the top 3 for players under 21 in the AFL.

If a club is going to acquire his services, they will have to be prepared to exchange quality (McKernan is not quality).

I don't want to lose Tarrant for obvious reasons because he will be a superstar of the AFL. His attitude is a major reason why some people have rumored him leaving.

I doubt he will go as Eddie McGuire has a very strong and close relationship with Chris.

There may be bickering between Buckley and Tarrant. But common sense will prevail and Buckley will realize that it is for the betterment of the club if he leaves behind personal differences.

It is also natural for Buckley to have differences with Tarrant. One is super professional and the other is laconic; of course there are going to be differences.

Further to McKernan being chased by Collingwood, he was seen in a meeting between Buckley and McGuire after the Canberra game.

McKernan is not happy in taking a pay cut at the Kangaroos and is very keen on Collingwood.

I think Tarrant gets talked up a bit too much. Having watched him quite a lot this year I notice that he drops a lot of marks, and does not get many posessions or goals. Some of his marking has been shocking this year. Collingwood could do worse things than get rid of him and get the right mix in the team if he's having issues with Buckley!

If I heard correctly, Chris Grant, Brad Johnson & Rohan Smith are unwilling to re-sign as long as Scott West remains at the club. Makes you wonder, why does West's alleged indiscretion keep cropping up if there's no substance to it?

Originally posted by LIONS2001
I think Tarrant gets talked up a bit too much. Having watched him quite a lot this year I notice that he drops a lot of marks, and does not get many posessions or goals. Some of his marking has been shocking this year. Collingwood could do worse things than get rid of him and get the right mix in the team if he's having issues with Buckley!

Many people forget that Tarrant is only 20 and is being played in a very high profile position. He is not a natural goalkicker and is more of a Half-forward flanker.

Trouble is that he can't be played at this position because Collingwood's best youngster (Nick Davis) has a mortgage on that role.

I only rate Whitnell, Ottens and Tredrea ahead of Tarrent as players under 21.

64 games and 97 goals is a fair effort for someone has his best football ahead of him. This year he came fourth on the goalkicking list and eighth in marks taken.

You said he does not get many posessions. 214 kicks and 46 are not bad for a player who plays primarily at full forward.

He will only get better just like the rest of Collingwood's youngsters.

He has a good football brain, the most explosive lead of any forward in the AFL, a high leap and very strong hands. His only weakness is a poor conversation rate (53/29) but he is relatively new to playing full forward.

If Collingwood were to trade him quality would have to be exchanged.

Originally posted by Rohan Coventry

Many people forget that Tarrant is only 20 and is being played in a very high profile position. He is not a natural goalkicker and is more of a Half-forward flanker.

Trouble is that he can't be played at this position because Collingwood's best youngster (Nick Davis) has a mortgage on that role.

I only rate Whitnell, Ottens and Tredrea ahead of Tarrent as players under 21.

64 games and 97 goals is a fair effort for someone has his best football ahead of him. This year he came fourth on the goalkicking list and eighth in marks taken.

He will only get better just like the rest of Collingwood's youngsters.

He has a good football brain, the most explosive lead of any forward in the AFL, a high leap and very strong hands. His only weakness is a poor conversation rate (53/29) but he is relatively new to playing full forward.

If Collingwood were to trade him quality would have to be exchanged.

I'd have to agree with you there Rohan.

Originally posted by Agent 86
If I heard correctly, Chris Grant, Brad Johnson & Rohan Smith are unwilling to re-sign as long as Scott West remains at the club. Makes you wonder, why does West's alleged indiscretion keep cropping up if there's no substance to it?

Johnson's not out of contract, Smith re-signed a few months ago for 3 yrs, and Grant will see out his career at the Bulldogs.

Rumours continue because people like them.

I am not being facetious.

Would it be more in Collingwoods interests to take a long term view with Tarrant rather than a short term one with Buckley?

And Agent 86, I think the what happens with West and / or Cox at the end of this year will tell us what we want to know about those rumours.

I know Smorgon did come out and strongly deny them, but you've gotta remember, he is just a con man! Just ask Caro! (I am being facetious here!)

Dogs_R_Us

Mate, I may have been wrong, only going on what I 'think'I heard on 3 AW today. I hope for the scraggers sake its not right, but I think we all know that in the end a contract is hardly worth the paper it is written on, and the rumours persist.

CJH

It's gonna be interesting re West/Cox. What excuse will crop up if one or the other is traded, for mine neither should be going by on feild form?

Originally posted by CJH

Would it be more in Collingwoods interests to take a long term view with Tarrant rather than a short term one with Buckley?

I think the what happens with West and / or Cox at the end of this year will tell us what we want to know about those rumours.

It would be in the best interests of Collingwood to take a long-term view with Tarrant. He will be a superstar of the AFL and has 10 years ahead of him.

Buckley will play another 3 to 4 years. He looks after himself, is ultra professional in his physical conditioning and has not got a history of injuries.

That being said, the club has to settle the differences between the two. It may be a media beat up but there is some credence to a feud between the two.

The development of Buckley as a captain will entail him recognizing the obvious differences (Tarrant's laconic nature) and working towards a common goal of success.

Tarrant is still getting used to his newly found "big name" status, as he is a country kid. He has publicly admitted he has found it hard to cope with the extra attention he got since that mark.

As he matures the riff between him and Buckley will be put to the side in the best interests of the team.

There was a good article on the West/Cox situation and it appears a change of environment is best for West.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/news/2001/09/08/FFX6S3DVARC.html

i was sad to read that Westy was havin a rough time :( and when i saw him the otha week for the first time in bout 2 years he had changed heaps and waz heaps sad i hope he gets better tho i cant see him stayin a Bulldog. I wouldnt be surprised if he did an Adam H and just left footy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no way Collingwood would let Chris go. He is part of the foundations we are building the club on for the future.

And Buckley is the leader we need to get us there.

The rumours regarding bickering between the 2 has gone on for a long time. They are both different people with different personalities and work ethics, so it stands to reason they may clash occasionally.

But at the end of the day, they both love their football, and are passionate about Collingwood.

tarrant will go. and i dont care.. he is the most over rated footballer i have ever seen!

since taking THE mark, he seems to have his finger lodged in his arse!

he is the most frustrating, lazy and selfish footballer i have seen in a long time.

he annoys me.. he has a bad attitude!

the kid MAY be a champion... but has been labelled a champion too early... and its hurt him!

Originally posted by Agent 86
Dogs_R_Us

Mate, I may have been wrong, only going on what I 'think'I heard on 3 AW today. I hope for the scraggers sake its not right, but I think we all know that in the end a contract is hardly worth the paper it is written on, and the rumours persist.

CJH

It's gonna be interesting re West/Cox. What excuse will crop up if one or the other is traded, for mine neither should be going by on feild form?

ohhhh - 3AW - say no more.... :rolleyes:

Im telling you now the rumours about scotty west and simon cox are nothing but filthy lies.In fact it turns out that when westy confronted coxy about the rumour he was embarrassed because he got coxys wifes name wrong.Anyone spreading these rumours i hope you realise the damage you have done to scottys reputation.

Having said all this the rumours i have heard about players possibly being traded to the dogs are

Grgic,lamb,beams,tuckey,harley,houlihan,S.grant,notting,jones,parker and lockwood.
The players that have been mentioned in these trades have been mainly players such as robbins,cox,ellis,hunter,dimma, and these types although it has been said that the dees are after rohan smith in a big way.The afl rumour file is the source of most of these and it should be pointed outt that most (if not all) of it is crap.:cool:

Originally posted by LIONS2001

He's only 20,
and 53 goals in a regular season speaks for it self.

Originally posted by PiesPremiers
tarrant will go. and i dont care.. he is the most over rated footballer i have ever seen!

since taking THE mark, he seems to have his finger lodged in his arse!

he is the most frustrating, lazy and selfish footballer i have seen in a long time.

he annoys me.. he has a bad attitude!

the kid MAY be a champion... but has been labelled a champion too early... and its hurt him!
THATS A BIT HARSH!!!!

Originally posted by SPUNKY_MONKEY45
hmm...
prob'ly the 4 way trade with melbourne, geelong, hawthorn and kangaroos or sumfing...
they wer tryna send ronnie burns to us!!!!!
we don't wont burns 2 melbourne

Ronnie signed a 3 year deal a month or so ago, so there is no way Ronnie will be at Melbourne next year.

Catman i am not saying that the deal referred to by spunkey monkey will happen but a player can still be traded if there under contract.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Rumour

Remove this Banner Ad

Back