Betts Agrees To Join Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Good for Carlton too. They'll be better off without Betts and his disappearing acts in big games. Carlton would benefit from developing a forward line with a strong CHF and FF, not being so reliant on small forwards.

Good for Carlton too. They'll be better off without Betts and his disappearing acts in big games. Carlton would benefit from developing a forward line with a strong CHF and FF, not being so reliant on small forwards.
I agree. Pity we don't get anything for him but thems the breaks.

It's not the rat pack but the little group of Betts, Robinson, Yarran, Garlett and Lucas were certainly not providing a good return on field.

Yarran and Garlett don't have the overhead ability of Betts but Malthouse's game plan I dont think suited kicking it long to a guy shorter than 6 foot. Carlton can now play Yarran and Garlett as the small forwards and develop their pressure and midfield ability and they have a class midfielder they really needed.

I'm still concerned about their long term plan for replacing Waite and Judd and finding some more midfield depth but I think short term blues fans can be very happy that they'll have a competitive side that will be hard to beat in 2014.

Bit of a shame that kids have to deal with the reality of no more Eddie Betts or Daisy Thomas respectively.

If i was offered Daisy Thomas for a swap for Betts i would take it...so it's a win for us at this stage

Would you swap your first round draft pick for Daisy though?

This is where the compo system is a bit screwed up.

Eddie's contract means he is worth a first round draft pick when in reality no one would give that up for him. That puts him as worth more than Franklin and roughly the same as Goddard. So the compo you would get for Eddie would be awesome.

By picking up Daisy that cancels out Eddies compo. So not only are you paying him overs you are losing a first round draft pick not Eddie Betts. That pick gets a good young kid or it could have been used to trade in say a Taylor Adams.

I think most Pies supporters are pretty happy to get pick 11 for Daisy and use all that cash elsewhere. We could have had a crack at say Sylvia, but we lose our compo pick & pay overs for him - no thanks.

Would you swap your first round draft pick for Daisy though?

This is where the compo system is a bit screwed up.

Eddie's contract means he is worth a first round draft pick when in reality no one would give that up for him. That puts him as worth more than Franklin and roughly the same as Goddard. So the compo you would get for Eddie would be awesome.

By picking up Daisy that cancels out Eddies compo. So not only are you paying him overs you are losing a first round draft pick not Eddie Betts. That pick gets a good young kid or it could have been used to trade in say a Taylor Adams.

I think most Pies supporters are pretty happy to get pick 11 for Daisy and use all that cash elsewhere. We could have had a crack at say Sylvia, but we lose our compo pick & pay overs for him - no thanks.
That pick could also turn out to be a complete dud ala Tambling.

Fantastic get for our club, the type of player we have been screaming out for for over a decade. One of the elite small crumbing forwards in the comp, and has a good overhead mark to go with it. And hey, junktime late in quarters is one of our worst periods to concede goals, so if he can help it go our way I'm more than happy with that.:thumbsu: Tex, Jenkins and Lynch will love having him down there, and we are all hoping he can teach Petrenko a thing or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to see Betts go, but refreshing as well. Garlett, Menzel and even to a lesser degree Buckly can craft their trade. The clubs hand needed to be forced to change the dynamics off the team.

Believe Carlton are trying to trade Hampson to Hawthorn for Shane Savage.

I would keep Kane Lucas and give him a summer to build up his body and learn to tackle.

Good Luck to Eddie Betts - remember free agency is made up paying overs for players, not what they would be worth to remain under the current clubs pay structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts Agrees To Join Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back