Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily.

He looks to be good, and of course we'd like to have him, but he's an undersized mid (178cm), and we already have plenty (too many?) of them, so if the price was too high and we let him slide, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world from a list management perspective.

Aside from the player himself, there are 2 further considerations.

Firstly, it's good for morale (both club and academy) if we continue to pick up the local kids, so yes, there is certainly a push to take him.

At the same time, passing would send a signal to other clubs that they shouldn't bid expecting it to be matched. Sometimes they might have to take the player, so they should bid only if they're genuinely willing to take the player at that pick.

In summary, we'll match reasonable bids, but I doubt we'd go crazy and match 'anything'.
As Cameron said today on Trade Radio, after talking to clubs during trade period Suns will know where Lombard bid will come. Twomey will know too. He is basically 100% on top 10 picks as he talks and has info from clubs. There will be no big surprise with a bid.

Not necessarily.

He looks to be good, and of course we'd like to have him, but he's an undersized mid (178cm), and we already have plenty (too many?) of them, so if the price was too high and we let him slide, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world from a list management perspective.

Aside from the player himself, there are 2 further considerations.

Firstly, it's good for morale (both club and academy) if we continue to pick up the local kids, so yes, there is certainly a push to take him.

At the same time, passing would send a signal to other clubs that they shouldn't bid expecting it to be matched. Sometimes they might have to take the player, so they should bid only if they're genuinely willing to take the player at that pick.

In summary, we'll match reasonable bids, but I doubt we'd go crazy and match 'anything'.
What has his size have to do with this ?

Not sure what you dont understand about the Lombard situation
He is 100% a top 10 maybe even a top 5 talents and the suns will be off loading #6 , #13 , #20 for other trades and will have junk left to use on Lombard. There is no chance he is not matched where ever he is bid

So why do you think that most draft experts value him pick 9-10+?
Mainly because most of the other clubs know that GC will match any bid on him and no point doing as much work as they would if he was not an academy kid.

If he was in an open trade he would have had allot more involvement with other clubs and clubs tend to let these kids slide a bit.

Mainly because most of the other clubs know that GC will match any bid on him and no point doing as much work as they would if he was not an academy kid.

If he was in an open trade he would have had allot more involvement with other clubs and clubs tend to let these kids slide a bit.
Twomey is usually spot on both on value and then actual draft order. At the moment Lombard is not in his best 10 (not actual order in draft). There are some bloody impressive kids in this draft.

So why do you think that most draft experts value him pick 9-10+?
Well the fact he is an academy player so that's 1, I think maybe his height which I think is 178cm so smaller then the average midfielder compared to others. And 3 maybe him playing more foward in VFL games his stats kinda dropped a little so his rank went down.

But Honestly if you compare him to others ranked higher then him he looks the better player.

I am not talking about actual draft order. At the moment it is best players order. Anyway, I think people overvalue a bit Lombard. Some of these videos of other kids are very impressive.
Mate Lombard is a gun

I would be more than happy to take him as a direct trade for Rioli rather than #6

I am not talking about actual draft order. At the moment it is best players order. Anyway, I think people overvalue a bit Lombard. Some of these videos of other kids are very impressive.
Fair enough, I just don't see why the Suns would not match him. He's the last one available for a bunch of junk picks. Plenty in the draft threads think he's being underrated too.

Fair enough, I just don't see why the Suns would not match him. He's the last one available for a bunch of junk picks. Plenty in the draft threads think he's being underrated too.
You would have to think about the psychology of an Academy kid like that as well. Does he potentially hold a few things back in other testing (combine etc.) when he as done all the work through the year. I know if I was almost guaranteed a spot due to being part of an academy when I was 18, I would be enjoying myself and doing the bare minimum for other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has his size have to do with this ?

Not sure what you dont understand about the Lombard situation
He is 100% a top 10 maybe even a top 5 talents and the suns will be off loading #6 , #13 , #20 for other trades and will have junk left to use on Lombard. There is no chance he is not matched where ever he is bid

Would Richmond be chasing hard for a <180cm midfielder if they already had 2-3 in their team?

'best available' is a lovely idea, but a quality team needs a variety of types/talents as well. Putting all your eggs in one basket is poor strategy.

Would Richmond be chasing hard for a <180cm midfielder if they already had 2-3 in their team?

'best available' is a lovely idea, but a quality team needs a variety of types/talents as well. Putting all your eggs in one basket is poor strategy.
How tall is Jagga Smith ? Ashcroft ?Draper
all potentially top 5 picks with 2-3cm between them

Shai Bolton , Ksyiah Pickett , Tyson Stengle or Neal

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back