BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

With things as they are, South will struggle wherever they end up because some of the decision making leaves a lot to be desired, perhaps a move to the WRFL where they can drop to div 2 and try to stabilise things is the way forward.
The counterpoint to a move is that it just further cements the Bloods as the club of choice in the region & it wouldn't surprise at all to see some players jump ship.
In any event, they've been discussed to death.

With things as they are, South will struggle wherever they end up because some of the decision making leaves a lot to be desired, perhaps a move to the WRFL where they can drop to div 2 and try to stabilise things is the way forward.
The counterpoint to a move is that it just further cements the Bloods as the club of choice in the region & it wouldn't surprise at all to see some players jump ship.
Discussed to death indeed
Must have been a good win by Darley yesterday, heard had up to 12 out, including Wright, Bewley and Myers

Personally would like to see them merge with Centrals and recruit and stay in Ballarat league or they need to get Watkins and others to return, as the only way forward is to get some 1 pointers either very good like Watkins etc, or good depth players like centrals might have 3-4. Otherwise they have to consider the move..

So how do you rate Bacchus as South almost rolled them with a playing list on less budget. If they move leagues let’s review your post in 12months.

I don’t think anyone, internally or externally, are too concerned about Bacchus Marsh long term future. Definitely won’t be leaving the BFL, their cricket club only just transferred to the Ballarat League aswell for what it’s worth.

So how do you rate Bacchus as South almost rolled them with a playing list on less budget. If they move leagues let’s review your post in 12months.
Key word is "almost"....... personally I think South are better off in RDFL and Centrals for WRFL. Then there will be point of difference clubs across Melton. Not everyone can play or wants to play at a high level. But at this rate I reckon Lancefeild and Centrals would be the only beatable teams for South if they were to move.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marsh would be slightly disappointed with their season but there's a confidence in their ability to build & contend that just isn't there for South, unfortunately.
They played us y'day & I was able to have a chat with some Marsh ppl. (Tangent: We've all got our biases but I've got a lot of time for that club & it's people)
A move is not on the radar, they're traditionally a Ballarat club, quite a few of their juniors go to school in Ballarat, they relish the local rivalry, they have won a flag & played off in another Grand Final in the past decade so they certainly have the ability to contend.

As Slammer noted, an impressive showing by Darley too given the numbers that they have out.
They're well drilled & have an enviable depth of talent.

Key word is "almost"....... personally I think South are better off in RDFL and Centrals for WRFL. Then there will be point of difference clubs across Melton. Not everyone can play or wants to play at a high level. But at this rate I reckon Lancefeild and Centrals would be the only beatable teams for South if they were to move.

Yes I don’t mind the idea of South in Riddell and Centrals going to WRFL div2.

Need to remember Vlo if South was to come into the Riddell they would easily have the best coach in that league which would set them up nicely. Bit like Jordan coaching Darley how he turned that club around in quick time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to remember Vlo if South was to come into the Riddell they would easily have the best coach in that league which would set them up nicely. Bit like Jordan coaching Darley how he turned that club around in quick time.
I agree Trav is a good coach but BFL may be a bit out of his depth and would probably be suited for RDFL. Though it seems Gissy Giants have got their hands on a good one too. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Would RDFL accept them for next year? as the Giants are starting up as well.

Last edited:

How does everyone rate Hodgson? He has only won only 1 flag and when all the good players left the Marsh they did nothing, struggled at Sunbury and look at them now with pretty much the same group they had last year hasn’t improved South at all

How does everyone rate Hodgson? He has only won only 1 flag and when all the good players left the Marsh they did nothing, struggled at Sunbury and look at them now with pretty much the same group they had last year hasn’t improved South at all

I’ve spoke to a few people over the years who have played under him at BFL level, a good networker & peoples person, tactically not so great is the general consensus.

Andrew Hall mate

Not sure his anywhere near the resume of Hodgson and never coached a senior side to my knowledge has he. But I reserve my judgement as it’s his first opportunity and any coach deserves praise for the time and commitment to such a role.

Actually south have improved in all kpi’s on season 2024 which was a disaster so his had to be patient and put them back together. Anyone who knows Hodgson would know he had other offers but choose to take on a huge challenge and probably knew it wasn’t going to be easy year 1.

brand new club is a free hit so good on anyone who showed interest as its bloody brave and congrats to andrew for getting the opportunity and privilege to be the first. what is his footy bakcground where has he coached or played before this appoinment.

He was a physio at Port Adelaide AFL for over a decade.?

brand new club is a free hit so good on anyone who showed interest as its bloody brave and congrats to andrew for getting the opportunity and privilege to be the first. what is his footy bakcground where has he coached or played before this appoinment.
Mainly coached juniors up to u19s but has been an assistant at Strathmore for last couple of seasons.

He was a physio at Port Adelaide AFL for over a decade.?
Not quite sure what Hall has done at Collingwood Richmond and Port. It will be interesting to see what he can do. Trav is a great bloke, was also coach of my sisters team when they won a flag a few years ago before he took on the blokes job at Sunbury. I'd love to see him in the RDFL again if South make a move.

Remove this Banner Ad

BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back