BFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Bacchus and Redan playing ducks and drakes with their selection for this weekend, or has Courier reporter David Brehaut got his injury reports wrong? On Monday Brehaut reported Scott Sherlock had dislocated his shoulder against North and that Orren Stephenson had strained a hamstring against Lakers during the shortened night game at the City Oval.
I see both are named for their respective sides to play tomorrow. Surely you don’t recover from either of those injuries in 1-week. I assume if you are to believe Brehaut, neither play tomorrow!
Most weeks the teams are garbage in the paper. I think Sherlock will play

Is fevola actually playing this year ?

Very good question. Not just playing but his not coaching either is he?

Big hit early in the first quarter which seen play stop and an ambulance called to the ground. Head clash between 2 players going for the ball at pace and young J Owen going off to hospital. He did seem to move his legs prior to getting into the ambulance and from all reports today his recovering well and might have suffered concussion and a broken nose.

Great to see 2 of his teammates stay with him and keep him stationary. Also great to see the Melton Sth player come out of the rooms (where they went whilst play stopped) and walk all the way over to check on the Marsh player.

Not a bad game but Marsh just to tall, quick and skilled. As they say when it’s slippery the better players stand out. The Marsh were great around the stoppages and moved the ball well.
Melton Sth lack a tall forward and didn’t seem to run out the game. They don’t switch the ball and are to predictable.

Not a bad game I guess. Ventured into the rooms immediately after the game for a beer and was shocked to find hardly anyone in the social rooms. Would have been 12-15 people before the players/officials came in. Couldn’t believe it.. Was a decent crowd but everyone seemed to leave immediately after. Never seen a crowd that small before in a footy club post game..Honestly I thought there might have been another room out the back maybe..

Very good question. Not just playing but his not coaching either is he?

Big hit early in the first quarter which seen play stop and an ambulance called to the ground. Head clash between 2 players going for the ball at pace and young J Owen going off to hospital. He did seem to move his legs prior to getting into the ambulance and from all reports today his recovering well and might have suffered concussion and a broken nose.

Great to see 2 of his teammates stay with him and keep him stationary. Also great to see the Melton Sth player come out of the rooms (where they went whilst play stopped) and walk all the way over to check on the Marsh player.

Not a bad game but Marsh just to tall, quick and skilled. As they say when it’s slippery the better players stand out. The Marsh were great around the stoppages and moved the ball well.
Melton Sth lack a tall forward and didn’t seem to run out the game. They don’t switch the ball and are to predictable.

Not a bad game I guess. Ventured into the rooms immediately after the game for a beer and was shocked to find hardly anyone in the social rooms. Would have been 12-15 people before the players/officials came in. Couldn’t believe it.. Was a decent crowd but everyone seemed to leave immediately after. Never seen a crowd that small before in a footy club post game..Honestly I thought there might have been another room out the back maybe..
Not as if he was busy or anything was at the carlton vs essendon game in a corporate box drinking with his mates.
Maybe his decided to finish up ?

Hopefully they are not stupid enough to be still be paying him.
Your guess is as good as mine, but clearly doesnt spend much time around the club.
Thursday night his on the footy show most weeks , does he even train on tuesdays ?
Has he lined up in a practice match this season ?

How is the standard of BFL now compared to past years?

I usually watch EDFL and the odd game of WRFL. Watched Melton Sth v Bacchus Marsh and thought the standard was reasonable.

But if I compared the top 4 teams of each comp I would say the EDFL side’s would smash BFL sides by 60 plus. To big, strong more physical. Seen in recent times EDFL clubs recruit BFL players and they struggle to make a big impact. However the BFL would smash WRFL by 40 plus. Interested to find out how the ex Sunbury players are going at St Albans this season.

Yes this is a post of no real significance as the EDFL have a bigger salary cap compared to the BFL just trying to raise some interest on this forum. BlueJet will surely reply with a response..

How is the standard of BFL now compared to past years?

I usually watch EDFL and the odd game of WRFL. Watched Melton Sth v Bacchus Marsh and thought the standard was reasonable.

But if I compared the top 4 teams of each comp I would say the EDFL side’s would smash BFL sides by 60 plus. To big, strong more physical. Seen in recent times EDFL clubs recruit BFL players and they struggle to make a big impact. However the BFL would smash WRFL by 40 plus. Interested to find out how the ex Sunbury players are going at St Albans this season.

Yes this is a post of no real significance as the EDFL have a bigger salary cap compared to the BFL just trying to raise some interest on this forum. BlueJet will surely reply with a response..

EDFL is and should be stronger - give the EDFL the same player points/salary cap as other comps and it may fall away quite quickly.

Regarding the success of ex-BFL players in the EDFL, I'm imagining that you're referring to those that ended up @ Essendon Doutta Stars a while back (Clarke, Lobb & Sleight) who were at the tailend of their playing careers.. Landt did well at EDS and Hoops was impressing at Keilor prior to injury.

Overall the comp seems stronger this season with the former Roosters players dropping back a level & solid recruiting by the Eastern clubs in particular.

Not sure about the standard of the EDFL, however Ballarat has always been similar to Bendigo. Although in this years practice matches the Ballarat teams belted the Bendigo teams. North beat Eaglehawk, East beat Golden Square both by big margins. The Ballarat League has definitely improved this year from the games I’ve seen.

All of the EDFL premier comp clubs would beat the best from BFL. EDFL division 1 would be more BFL standard IMO

Fair point. But some BFL clubs would compete against the bottom couple in EDFL I reckon. But overall probably more EDFL div1.
However players of the caliber of a Sherlock, Speight etc would dominate EDFL div1 and more worthy of competing in premier league. Sherlock is a Jet.. Same as Kenna from Darly..

Cheers Slammer..

All of the EDFL premier comp clubs would beat the best from BFL. EDFL division 1 would be more BFL standard IMO
I agree Essendon is better than Ballarat. But to say the bottom sides would beat the Ballarat premiers is a big stretch. Will be more of a guide when the salary caps of all major league are the same in years to come. I know people will say the salary cap doesn't work, but that's all we have.

I agree Essendon is better than Ballarat. But to say the bottom sides would beat the Ballarat premiers is a big stretch. Will be more of a guide when the salary caps of all major league are the same in years to come. I know people will say the salary cap doesn't work, but that's all we have.

I can't see the caps ever being the same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's only one reason all the BFL players are available and I'm sure it's the same with GVFL and that's because it's at the MCG.
Plenty of GV players not playing. Most of the VFL listed guys are out. Ex-AFL players like Andrew Walker, Simon Buckley and Kane Pettifer are out. Probably the same as your team to be honest.

That said, the two sides should enjoy the clash at the 'G'. I suspect the Ballarat boys might win a close one.

Anybody care about interleague?
Confirmed!
The social media frenzy of BFNL followers (or lack of!) confirms there is zero interest in inter league games. BFNL interleague Twitter posts have had just 8-likes and 2-retweet’s from their 2000+ followers over the past 24-hours.

Confirmed!
The social media frenzy of BFNL followers (or lack of!) confirms there is zero interest in inter league games. BFNL interleague Twitter posts have had just 8-likes and 2-retweet’s from their 2000+ followers over the past 24-hours.
Hardly, there was a decent representation of BFL people at both the early game and the seniors, suggesting those actually interested actually got off their arses and went to the games. (Shocking in todays climate i know)
Great effort by all players, coaches and support staff - there's no shame in getting done by a traditionally stronger comp in the GVFL.

Hardly, there was a decent representation of BFL people at both the early game and the seniors, suggesting those actually interested actually got off their arses and went to the games. (Shocking in todays climate i know)
Great effort by all players, coaches and support staff - there's no shame in getting done by a traditionally stronger comp in the GVFL.

Wonder what the buy in from the players, coaches, staff & supporters would of been if the game was played at eastern oval or in Shepparton.

Surely it’s time the BFNL scrapped these night games! Lights go out as Redan are making a run at lakers and the game is abandoned.
The lights at these grounds are great for training and might be passable for playing, but they’re crap for watching as a spectator. Add the 8-degree nights and the heavy dew and the standard of play drops significantly. You’ve only got to look at the scores to see most of these games fail to reach any great heights. Get rid of them now! No one wants them!
Coached a game at Melton one night, couldn't see a thing!

Wonder what the buy in from the players, coaches, staff & supporters would of been if the game was played at eastern oval or in Shepparton.
Playing at the 'G obviously helped but it doesn't change that people put their hand up to play on what would have otherwise been a week off.
Credit where it's due..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back