Remove this Banner Ad

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Great win by the Cats this arvo.

Sadly, the TV coverage was marred by what has to be one of the most disgracefully biased presentations I have seen in a long, long, long time.

Before the game the coverage was 100% about the Dogs - how there was a sense of destiny, how their last lot of premiership players had talked to them to inspire them, how they had lots of great young players, how they had the form, blah blah blah.

At various stages an interview with Rodney Eade was promoted, focusing on the Dogs 09 finals campaign. David Smorgon was also shown repeatedly throughout the game.

Luke Darcy was transparently barracking for the Dogs throughout, letting anything unfair (umpiring errors, infringements) favouring the Dogs go by without comment but complaining like a toddler about anything that went the Cats way. After the game he looked like he was going to cry (good on Huddo for pointing out that he looked disappointed).

Even at half time with the Cats in front and looking pretty good the commentary was all about Geelong's (alleged) history of fade-outs and the Dogs (alleged) history of winning last quarters. The gradual backpedaling was predictable and pathetic ("of course Geelong are a great side, blah blah blah") after getting the impression early on that the Cats may as well not show up.

After the game the theme was that Geelong had sent "a message" but that the Dogs would "take a lot out of it" and would feel like they had missed a great opportunity to win.

Surely it's not right to have a recent player for a club commentating on its matches? And surely when a team like Geelong has been struggling a bit and had a lot of people questioning it, the focus in the commentary should be about how they have responded to that challenge and pressure, not about how great it would be if their opponents won. Unfortunately that didn't fit in with the 'theme' and 'script' that 10 had evidently decided to go with.

I'm sure some will call this a pointless whinge, but the whole presentation was unprofessional and pathetic. It makes AFL seem incestuous and petty instead of being presented in a serious, professional fashion.

Cats got a couple of important frees up forward from dodgy decisions (the ruck contest and Bartel tackling someone in the back and getting holding the ball) and they were fairly called as incorrect by the commentators.

Pretty hard for Darcy - you know he just wants to barrack. :) Didn't think they were too bad, but yeah, there was a little bit of bias in there. Like listening to Eddie commentate a Pies game.

Great win by the Cats though.

Pretty hard for Darcy - you know he just wants to barrack. :) .
I have no problem with that, but I don't want to hear it on the broadcast any more than I want to watch the game with some obnoxious opposition supporter sitting in my lounge room.

As for the in the back decisions, there must have been about 10 against Geelong today thanks to the new interpretation that a "tackle" is henceforce to be called a "push in the back". Aker copped one which was much closer to a real push in the back but because he didn't arch his back and lunge forward he didn't get a free, unlike a number of his team mates.

whinge whinge whinge!!! we get this thread every week!

it is so old after 23 weeks... if u don't like the coverage, go to the game, or turn the sound off.

whatever you decide to do, please realise that no one gives a shit about the constant whinging of commentator bias.

every afl commentator has a vested interest... and anyone that doesn't (ie. someone who never played AFL) is then accused of not having the expertise.

and commentators aren't that important anyway. i don't know why people are so fixated on their opinions

Great win by the Cats this arvo.

Sadly, the TV coverage was marred by what has to be one of the most disgracefully biased presentations I have seen in a long, long, long time.

Before the game the coverage was 100% about the Dogs - how there was a sense of destiny, how their last lot of premiership players had talked to them to inspire them, how they had lots of great young players, how they had the form, blah blah blah.

At various stages an interview with Rodney Eade was promoted, focusing on the Dogs 09 finals campaign. David Smorgon was also shown repeatedly throughout the game.

Luke Darcy was transparently barracking for the Dogs throughout, letting anything unfair (umpiring errors, infringements) favouring the Dogs go by without comment but complaining like a toddler about anything that went the Cats way. After the game he looked like he was going to cry (good on Huddo for pointing out that he looked disappointed).

Even at half time with the Cats in front and looking pretty good the commentary was all about Geelong's (alleged) history of fade-outs and the Dogs (alleged) history of winning last quarters. The gradual backpedaling was predictable and pathetic ("of course Geelong are a great side, blah blah blah") after getting the impression early on that the Cats may as well not show up.

After the game the theme was that Geelong had sent "a message" but that the Dogs would "take a lot out of it" and would feel like they had missed a great opportunity to win.

Surely it's not right to have a recent player for a club commentating on its matches? And surely when a team like Geelong has been struggling a bit and had a lot of people questioning it, the focus in the commentary should be about how they have responded to that challenge and pressure, not about how great it would be if their opponents won. Unfortunately that didn't fit in with the 'theme' and 'script' that 10 had evidently decided to go with.

I'm sure some will call this a pointless whinge, but the whole presentation was unprofessional and pathetic. It makes AFL seem incestuous and petty instead of being presented in a serious, professional fashion.
I wouldn't call it a pointless whinge, I could see exactly what you were saying, some of it cringeworthy.

Just smile in the fact that after next week, they won't have a team to be biased over haha

:D

Three Hawthorn supporters on here whining about Geelong only winning because of biased umpiring. :thumbsu: Go away and play somewhere else until 2010 chaps.....

BTW - I didn't think that Luke Darcy was more biased than usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, what great suggestions. Bit hard for people who live interestate and like experiencing the world in sonic as well as visual form.

well then be thankful for what you have... u still got to see the game.

people in past generations weren't so lucky.

I guess what is noticeable is that some commentators (e.g. Denis C & Bruce) can call a game and you wouldn't have a clue who they barrack for personally. It's so unneccessary to have these hacks like Darcy bringing petty personal stuff to the call.

I thought Christian and Huddo were the commentators, with Darcy special comments. Darcy was bias and so was Huddo. Who cares you won. Or did you forget the tightrope horseshit at 3/4 time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biased Channel 10 coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back