Bickley's Performance - Rate

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Simplified the gameplan, encouraged risk taking.

2. Dangerfield, VanBerlo in the middle, got plenty of it

3. Walker played forward and looked relieved and allowed to play like a forward.

I have doubts about Bicks as a head coach. However these factors above, despite playing the bottom team, tick all the boxes so far.

Thoughts?

Knights on the wing! That guy still has the ball magnet in there somewhere.

Way too early for this post, 1 game against bottom of the ladder team.

I like the question but need to give it another three or four games first...:eek:

Bollocks. Played the same gameplan we have all year, executed it terribly, and still managed to win - almost entirely because of the utter ineptness of the opposition. Port weren't even able to conjure up enough pressure to force the players to drop their bundle and revert to defensive football.

3. Walker played forward and looked relieved and allowed to play like a forward.

Walker was allowed to play like a forward because, much to my disbelief, at no stage did Port ever try and park a loose man in the hole in front of him.

I have doubts about Bicks as a head coach. However these factors above, despite playing the bottom team, tick all the boxes so far.

Thoughts?

The only thing this game showed was that Port are more rubbish than we are. Nothing more.

Reilly out of the middle.
Running with hands after the first kick out from fb.
Knights to the wing.

Credit for trying new things and playing to players strengths.
This game was always a throw away though for rating bicks.

Craig didn't try the changes because..... It was against every grain in his body to back down from things he believed would work if only we tried harder.

Thoughts?

AS I said, it's early and I am not yet convinced, however, the performance by Bickley indicates to me that the assistants had very little say in what happened in planning or on matchday. That's why I asked the question.

At least he did something. Not rocket science, really some basic stuff that most have been calling for all year.

At least he appears to have acknowledged it is all about the midfield. Work on fixing that first and get that right. The rest will take care of itself.

Agree on the calls though on Port's ineptness. Can't believe we just didn't see Chaplain sit on our F50 all day. This is normally move #1 in the Port showdown play book. Normally though Craig will do nothing about it.

Walker was allowed to play like a forward because, much to my disbelief, at no stage did Port ever try and park a loose man in the hole in front of him.

The only thing this game showed was that Port are more rubbish than we are. Nothing more.

I think bicks manned chappy up mate. Wright was alongside him quite a few times. Tex also was on the move most the time which helps.

It showed a bit more than your saying tbh.mainly that making changes can work and our playing group isn't as bad as we may have feared.

You'll get over it... ;)

I think bicks manned chappy up mate. Wright was alongside him quite a few times. Tex also was on the move most the time which helps.

It showed a bit more than your saying tbh.mainly that making changes can work and our playing group isn't as bad as we may have feared.

You'll get over it... ;)

You're perpetuating pure fiction. We tried nothing out of the ordinary in this game - the only thing that could be said to be new is Walker playing without Tippett. Otherwise, we played the same gameplan as we have all year - we just played it against what must surely be the worst team in the league, and it showed.

Using this game to formulate any sort of conclusion is going to leave you wandering off in the wrong direction. Were you even watching that awful mess? The only thing we consistently showed me of this week was effort, otherwise our skills were terrible, the gameplan was the same. Port showed essentially nothing, other than they will be down and out longer than we will.

Reilly out of the middle :thumbsu: Great move

Actually had a decent game down back besides getting caught out on the lead a couple of times. I never really thought he was the inside midfielder Craig/Viney turned him into.

Nice to see Van Berlo get a ton of the ball, went head to head with Cassisi didn't he?

VB is a classic centreman. He should be able to find a lot of the ball, because a) he has tremendous aerobic capacity b) the opposition pay no attention to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bicks biggest change wasn't positional or personnel. It was mentioned by walker in the after game interview.
"Bicks told us to take risks, he didn't care if we made mistakes"
Craig is a perfectionist, The younger lads may well have been to worried about making mistakes.

At least he did something. Not rocket science, really some basic stuff that most have been calling for all year.

At least he appears to have acknowledged it is all about the midfield. Work on fixing that first and get that right. The rest will take care of itself.

Agree on the calls though on Port's ineptness. Can't believe we just didn't see Chaplain sit on our F50 all day. This is normally move #1 in the Port showdown play book. Normally though Craig will do nothing about it.

No Carlisle meant that Chaplin had to play a more accountable role.

I have ahorrible feeling that you are correct. Two dreadful sides IMO. At least we had a dip which to me was more important than the way we played.

I think Bicks biggest change wasn't positional or personnel. It was mentioned by walker in the after game interview.
"Bicks told us to take risks, he didn't care if we made mistakes"
Craig is a perfectionist, The younger lads may well have been to worried about making mistakes.

This was mentioned before the game by more than one player. So that was a change. We attacked and played on at most opportunities. He played players in their rightful positions. Everything he did was basic, simple moves we have all been screaming for.

Yes it was only against Port, but this same Port embarrassed us last time.

Some Craig lovers just are being bitter and can't concede that they were wrong that he would be coach next year. ;)

VB is a classic centreman. He should be able to find a lot of the ball, because a) he has tremendous aerobic capacity b) the opposition pay no attention to him.

a) Yet Craig didnt play him there
B) Cassisi was on him all night

they played like they were having fun...

the melee...

the hard attack on the body of the opposition...

great start, good luck next week...

loved it...:thumbsu:

go crows...

This was mentioned before the game by more than one player. So that was a change. We attacked and played on at most opportunities. He played players in their rightful positions. Everything he did was basic, simple moves we have all been screaming for.

Yes it was only against Port, but this same Port embarrassed us last time.

Some Craig lovers just are being bitter and can't concede that they were wrong that he would be coach next year. ;)

Look, I can see why some might be taking that tack, but you really can't take much from the game because the opposition were crap. You can't categorically say bickley tried all these new things and that's why we won. Let's let the dust settle before we can say one way or the other.

Too early to make any call on Bickley's coaching prowess, given that we were playing the worst team in the comp.

He gets points for playing Knights, Dangerfield and van Berlo in the mid-field (31, 27 and 30 disposals respectively), but really that wasn't rocket science. I think many of us would have liked to see these players played in their correct positions for some time. More of a minus for Craig rather than a huge plus for Bicks.

We did have more aggro and we took a heap of risks - some which could have hurt us against a decent side.

Bickley gets a pass for the night, but that's about it. It doesn't enhance any claims in isolation for Bicks to be appointed as Craig's successor.

I'll be more interested in how we perform against quality teams such as Geelong.

You're perpetuating pure fiction. We tried nothing out of the ordinary in this game - the only thing that could be said to be new is Walker playing without Tippett. Otherwise, we played the same gameplan as we have all year - we just played it against what must surely be the worst team in the league, and it showed.
Reilly as a defender.

Dangerfield permanent midfielder.

Two genuine ruckmen.

Yes, the opposition stunk and wasn't a true test. But there were some differences.

Also our sub actually made sense - one of their key forwards goes down, so we sub off a key defender. Sounds so simple but Craig wouldn't have done this.

You could also see with Walker's ridiculous screw punt attempt from the boundary. He wouldn't have dared try that a week ago.

Look, I can see why some might be taking that tack, but you really can't take much from the game because the opposition were crap. You can't categorically say bickley tried all these new things and that's why we won. Let's let the dust settle before we can say one way or the other.

Everything he tried worked because they were all commonsense, you can't ask for any more than that.

Yes the opposition were crap but they were crap last time too and still flogged us.

Some have agendas who just hate to admit they were wrong about Craig and their pompous posting makes them look even more bitter.

No one is saying Bicks is the best coach ever, but his commonsense should be commended. Enjoy the win because after the crap we have served up it was nice to get a win against our main rival.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back