Big Bad Bustling Tyrone Vickery

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you might make a good defense lawyer.

It's really a poor defense anyway. Kind of like drink driving and doing damage, not many intend to harm.

That said, you swing your arm that hard, with a closed fist in the vicinity of someones face, then you deserve whatever you get.

That's what the system dictates. The consequences largely decide the penalty, and four weeks is a big penalty these days.

Copped a body shot and I think he intended to give one back. Wasn't looking at his target, and it might be argued that his fist glanced off Cox's shoulder.

He threw a punch that knocked a bloke out and will have to wear the consequences. But as others have pointed out, Hall/Staker it wasn't.
There is a similarity between this matter and the Hall/Saker incident. In both cases if the umpire had done his job properly and paid a free kick to Vickery and Hall when they were infringed against the incidents would not have occurred.

Yep he had motive and I agree that it was an intentional strike, but I honestly don't believe he meant to connect to the face. Look at trajectory of the swinging arm. Won't be surprised if Vickery argues his intention was to hit Cox across the chest and his arm glanced off Cox's shoulder. (And it wasn't a boxing punch.)

Vickery_zps25a670d1.jpg

He'll get what he's going to get. I'll cop anything up to 5 games (rest of the season). Four would be fair I think.

Looks like he hit him from behind, weren't you arguing before he didn't?

Weren't you saying he wasn't behind though as that was an aspect of a king hit?

My definition is walking up directly behind someone who can't see you coming and swinging a roundhouse to the head, as might happen in a nightclub brawl. You're free to call this a "king hit" if you want; I certainly wouldn't, but it doesn't change anything.

About 50 seconds in.

Last edited:
He didn't look beforehand to line up Cox's head and he didn't look during the act. He does some stupid things, but he's not stupid enough to do that intentionally. Otherwise would deserve 5 or 6.

watch the vision again, he didn't need to look at Cox's face because he used his left hand on Cox's shoulder to line it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, it's possible. In which case he's a campaigner and deserves 6+.

But the problem is proving intent when in the middle of grappling for a ruck contest. Vickery can claim it was a clumsy attempt to get a better position by trying to force him back...Hard to categorically prove that wasn't the intent, so it gets 'reckless'.

On intent, the MRP *tends* to avoid calling things intentional if there another option (although with MRP levels of consistancy, this cold come in anywhere from accidental to attempted genocide).

But the problem is proving intent when in the middle of grappling for a ruck contest. Vickery can claim it was a clumsy attempt to get a better position by trying to force him back...Hard to categorically prove that wasn't the case, so it gets 'reckless'.

On intent, the MRP *tends* to avoid calling things intentional if there another option (although with MRP levels of consistancy, this cold come in anywhere from accidental to attempted genocide).

They may send it straight to the tribunal, in which case anything could happen.

You'd think he will go for at least three, but a good defence advocate should be able to construct a case that will keep the penalty under the maximum.

They may send it straight to the tribunal, in which case anything could happen.

You'd think he will go for at least three, but a good defence advocate should be able to construct a case that will keep the penalty under the maximum.

Possible.

I'm thinking Reckless, High, High...Not sure what the points work out to, but with carry over points it'd probably work out to 3 after a plea

Possible.

I'm thinking Reckless, High, High...Not sure what the points work out to, but with carry over points it'd probably work out to 3 after a plea

I think that's 325 + 45 carryover * 0.75 for early plea = 2 weeks, which seems light. I have a feeling it'll be reckless/severe/high which will end up as 3 weeks. If not graded as reckless, I'd like to think we'll test it at the tribunal.

I think that's 325 + 45 carryover * 0.75 for early plea = 2 weeks, which seems light. I have a feeling it'll be reckless/severe/high which will end up as 3 weeks. If not graded as reckless, I'd like to think we'll test it at the tribunal.

4 down to 3 sounds about right (personally, I think penalties should be harsher across the board, but right in the 'consistent/by the rules' way).

My definition is walking up directly behind someone who can't see you coming and swinging a roundhouse to the head, as might happen in a nightclub brawl. You're free to call this a "king hit" if you want; I certainly wouldn't, but it doesn't change anything.

About 50 seconds in.

You know what's odd about that, other than the fact it was a disgrace, was the language Bruce McAvaney was using. He was telling it exactly like it is. When was the last time you heard a commentator talk like that.

Vickery never once looked at where Coxs head was, he was focused on the ball. The fact that he hit him in the head and put him out of the game will ensure he gets at minimum 3 weeks.

The strange thing in all of this is everyone demanding Vickery gets 4-5 weeks yet when Merrett deliberately elbowed Swallow in the head he got 2 weeks from memory and he actually knew what he was going hit when he threw the elbow.

Not really strange, I think you'll find that in that instance most people also thought he should get more than 2 weeks.

What the MRP hand down and what most people think are usually two very different things.

_RT_ mate vickery is a thug and swung a punch don't try and present shit and play it off as vickery was aiming for the chest
Vickery had his arm extended and swung at shoulder height, not from low to high, also look at the still photo that has been posted, Vickery doesn't have his hand clenched in a fist, it is slightly open and contact is more with the wrist lower forearm than the hand. Now look at the stats Cox is 3cm taller than Vickery and at the last moment you see him stoop forward from the hips bringing his head down to where his shoulder/chest area would have been had be been upright. IMO that is where Vickery was aiming to hit Cox, to make a statement that he wasn't going to be bullied by Cox throwing elbows at him like he had just done. Unfortunately for Vickery and Cox he hit him in the jaw and put him out of the game. Vickery will get punished for that and rightly so.

Steven King vs Jeff White is still my favourite ruck contest of all time. It happened in the 2005 finals.
White's skull was cracked like an egg - I was at the game and I heard it from 50m away.

Bomber Thompson, the media and Geelong fans took the view that this was simply an accident. Just one of those things which can happen...
No charge was laid. Somehow, the MRP decided this was neither reckless, nor negligent. :eek:

Steven King vs Jeff White is still my favourite ruck contest of all time. It happened in the 2005 finals.
White's skull was cracked like an egg - I was at the game and I heard it from 50m away.

Bomber Thompson, the media and Geelong fans took the view that this was simply an accident. Just one of those things which can happen...
No charge was laid. Somehow, the MRP decided this was neither reckless, nor negligent. :eek:

Not sure what the point of this is. There is no comparison. One is a player trying to kick the ball away from a contest & accidentally collecting another players face with his shin while the other is a deliberate strike to the face. The ball was no where to be seen when Vickery struck Cox and he had no other intention bit to hit Cox - whether he meant to clock him in the head is debatable but he definitely deliberately hit him

It can not be severe, as their was no structural injury. It will be either medium or high impact. Both Fyfe and Viney were initial graded Medium contact, and I think McKernan got medium impact as well.

I wonder if it will be graded as intentional?

I personally have it as Reckless, High and High but it could be anywhere from Reckless, Medium and High to Intentional, High and High

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Bad Bustling Tyrone Vickery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back