Games & Recreation BigFooty Death List Game 2024 - May Deaths Be Forever In Your Favour (Host @ClarkeM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sid Vicious (Eudy), 63 New
Leonard Riggio 83 Literary Entrepreneur

Made Barnes and Noble into the mega giant

Listened to a podcast 2 weeks ago about it

https://slate.com/podcasts/decoder-ring/2022/12/youve-got-mail-and-the-fight-between-real-bookstores

(This episode originally aired in March 2020.)
The 1998 romantic comedy You’ve Got Mail, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, is about the brutal fight between a beloved indie bookstore, the Shop Around the Corner, and Fox Books, an obvious Barnes & Noble stand-in. On this episode of Decoder Ring we revisit the real-life conflict that inspired the movie and displaced independent booksellers on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. This conflict illustrates how, for a brief time, Barnes & Noble was a symbol of predatory capitalism, only to be usurped by the uniting force at the heart of the film: the internet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Utterly tragic. The family and loved ones of those guys must be totally destroyed.

Needs to be harsher penalties worldwide for drink drivers imo, esp those who end up killing or severely injuring innocent people.

One for the trivia buffs

Masamitsu Yoshioka 106 Last surviving Pearl Harbor Pilot
For something whose influence and legacy hung heavy in mine and many other families when I was growing up it feels strange watching WWII disappear from living memory.

For something whose influence and legacy hung heavy in mine and many other families when I was growing up it feels strange watching WWII disappear from living memory.
Doing some more digging I found a site that has longest lived veterans etc and its amazing how many are still going. Disappearing quickly for sure

A lot of the older people when I was younger hated the Japs due to what when on in WW2 and they hated the Germans as well.

It's totally different to my experiences with them as most Japanese and German people I've met have been very nice and friendly.

We are lucky to be in the generation we are where we weren't forced to fight in a war against them and can be friends with them.

I believe it's who the character in the recent Godzilla film was based on.

I haven't seen the recent Godzilla film but I saw the awful 1998 Godzilla film which made me want to become a kamikaze pilot.

Another super-centenarian died during the week, Charlotte Kretschmann aged 114. Born on 3rd December 1909 in the Prussian region of Germany when Kaiser Wilhelm II was in charge of the country and Adolf Hitler was a 20-year-old painter and decorator who enjoyed painting landscapes in his spare time, she was the oldest German ever recorded.

Her passing leaves just five verified cases of living people born prior to 1910, two in 1908 and three in 1909. Both the world's oldest woman Maria Branyas (from Spain born 1907) and oldest man Juan Vicente (born 1909 in Venezuela) who held the record at the start of 2024 have since died, and Shi Ping (born late 1911 in China) who took the title of the world's oldest living man died aged 112 in June just weeks after inheriting it.

This means there are no verified men still alive from when the Titanic sank in April 1912 (the world's 50 oldest people at present - all women - were born before the disaster on 15-Apr-1912), although the world's current oldest man John Tinniswood from the lost liner's home port of Liverpool was a fetus at the time. Born on 26th August 1912, he recently celebrated his 112th birthday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Games & Recreation BigFooty Death List Game 2024 - May Deaths Be Forever In Your Favour (Host @ClarkeM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back