Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I work for a winery.....that also owns spirits
To say I have some grog here would be an understatement.

My audio interface arrived, gee not much too em.
Effects pedals and some shure ears next

Think that Metallica gig posted above was the same one pantera did there domination vid from??
What region? I've been getting good red from around Heathcote lately

Spotted a black LTD viper 400 with EMGs for $600 with hard case included. Tempting.

Thoughts? dwwaino

No-one produces anything that sounds this good anymore. Why was everything sonically better in 1993??

No-one produces anything that sounds this good anymore. Why was everything sonically better in 1993??

Yeah I’m with you. These ‘sound wars’ are ruining sound. It’s all so sterile nowadays. No dynamic range at all. It’s all 5s, 6s and 7s.

Angry Metal Guy posted a series on this topic a few years back. Took an in depth look into what it was and why it was happening. Probably still on their website somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I’m with you. These ‘sound wars’ are ruining sound. It’s all so sterile nowadays. No dynamic range at all. It’s all 5s, 6s and 7s.

Angry Metal Guy posted a series on this topic a few years back. Took an in depth look into what it was and why it was happening. Probably still on their website somewhere.

I agree 100%

There's new stuff that I put on now that I just can't get through because of the way everything is pushed to the max. Drums in particular are just overpowering and toms begin to sound like kick drums whilst cymbals don't ring out, they just crash and disappear.

Compression and mastering. Absolutely killed most death metal imo. Every track in the mix is identical. These are the types of guitarists who even put compressors on their pedal board live. Think of a mix as a room, you want depth and each track to occupy a seperate layer of the room. These days everything is crushed up against the front. My mob are actually looking at grabbing some single coil guitars for recording just so they sit higher in the mix. It sounded like a hipster move at first but when I read Nergal say he recorded The Satanist with a Telecaster it eventually made a lot of sense. Of course the recordings are still clean, but that's because it's digital and you're either recording with a direct line into a board or your amp is mic'd up at room level. No one has the time for live tracking anymore.

Anyone else feeling wary of order from overseas at the moment? I wanna order some stuff from the US but not sure.

Anyone else feeling wary of order from overseas at the moment? I wanna order some stuff from the US but not sure.

Nah. I ordered some new RAM for my next PC build on Monday from the US using UPS and had it by Thursday morning. Just wiped the box down with an anti-bacterial wet wipe and stuff. No cold or flu symptoms yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back