Biggest Album Let down?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's better than Adrenaline.

Chi got in a car crash a few weeks ago. Hope he makes it :(

Yeah, heard about Chi, really hope he pulls through as well.

I actually like Saturday Night Wrist, although it probably is my least favourite album of theirs. I love Cherry Waves and Hole In The Earth, but it's certainly not in the class of Around The Fur or White Pony.

If I had to rank their albums, I'd go with:

1. White Pony
2. Around The Fur
3. Adrenaline
4. Self Titled
5. Saturday Night Wrist

Pearl Jam - Binaural (Shocking production and half the songs are weak)

Metallica - St Anger (Worst drum sound in history. Only 3 or 4 songs i like)

Judas Priest - Turbo (Were my favourite band when this came out. Went from heavy metal to **** rock. What a sellout)

Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstacy (After releasing 6 classic albums they came out with this dreck)

R.E.M. - Up (Lost their drummer and the plot)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (About 2cd's too long)

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore (Should have been a billy solo album. Doesn't sound anything like the pumpkins)

Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door (Dissapointing way to end their career)

I think it was a pretty cool move from the band to use the drumming machine in Up, instead of immediately replacing Bill Berry.

Up's one of my favourite REM albums.. i can understand why many people dont like it though, its as far from the traditional REM sound as you could get.

I add a vote for "One by One" by FF - I would like to have known what the album would have sounded like if it hadn't been rerecorded and the original songs kept. it Was rushed and I think it sounds rushed.

I love the Foos but since Colour and the Shape each album is worse than the last.

Every time a new one comes out I buy it hoping for a turnaround, and every time I'm disappointed.

The current album has The Pretender and **** all else.

KidA still the biggest let down for me. "Be Here Now" was also crap, although I never expected much from them anyway. "Only by the night" is a massive let down. A few good songs do not make a great album. Another one from years gone past is "Sandinista" by the Clash, big drop off after London Calling - but it did grow on me.

White Light-White Heat doesn't stand up to their debut.

It would be a mammoth task for anything to top the Velvet's first album, one of the best rock records of all time, I think that White Light/White Heat was a great follow up record, was never going to be better, but is still a great album.

It would be a mammoth task for anything to top the Velvet's first album, one of the best rock records of all time, I think that White Light/White Heat was a great follow up record, was never going to be better, but is still a great album.

This is true. Nico's absence also reduced the likelyhood of making another one as good.

KidA still the biggest let down for me. "Be Here Now" was also crap, although I never expected much from them anyway. "Only by the night" is a massive let down. A few good songs do not make a great album. Another one from years gone past is "Sandinista" by the Clash, big drop off after London Calling - but it did grow on me.

That's interesting, Rolling Stone has it high up in their top 500 albums of all time, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I was thinking of buying it off ebay for $1 actually

That's interesting, Rolling Stone has it high up in their top 500 albums of all time, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I was thinking of buying it off ebay for $1 actually

You'd be mad not to!

One of the great albums... terrific to see a band throw their proven formula out the wondow and come up with some completely different.

Obviously not everyones cup of tea though

I love the Foos but since Colour and the Shape each album is worse than the last.

Every time a new one comes out I buy it hoping for a turnaround, and every time I'm disappointed.

The current album has The Pretender and **** all else.

The pretender wasn't even close to the best song on ESPG. They are ****ing immense live though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have to be The Killers - Sam's Town
I can't adequately articulate how bad this album is compared to their debut.

Ministry - Filth Pig after Psalm 69 a very big let down

Marilyn Manson - Golden Age Of The Grotesque..... and grotesque it is, though it's all been going down hill for him for awhile now.

Would have to be The Killers - Sam's Town
I can't adequately articulate how bad this album is compared to their debut.

Ministry - Filth Pig after Psalm 69 a very big let down

Marilyn Manson - Golden Age Of The Grotesque..... and grotesque it is, though it's all been going down hill for him for awhile now.

It won the majority after multiple listens.

I wonder if you gave it enough time?

It won the majority after multiple listens.

I wonder if you gave it enough time?

By other peoples standards, maybe not, but by mine, certainly.
Gone are the days when I'll listen to an album for 6 months, desperately trying to like it. I don't love any band enough to put myself through that anymore.
I struggled through that album a number of times, always fighting the urge to just turn it off, but that urge became too strong in the end,
I've heard the single "Bones" (too) many times on the radio and it still shits me.
I do have a musical background and one of the hazards of that is dissecting things too much, but from what I recall, and I have managed to blot most of that album from my memory, structurally, melodically and lyrically it really wasn't doing anything for me.

That said., if you like it then I'm happy for you. That's all it has to do, and it's just my opinion after all, and you're entitled to yours too. :)

By other peoples standards, maybe not, but by mine, certainly.
Gone are the days when I'll listen to an album for 6 months, desperately trying to like it. I don't love any band enough to put myself through that anymore.
I struggled through that album a number of times, always fighting the urge to just turn it off, but that urge became too strong in the end,
I've heard the single "Bones" (too) many times on the radio and it still shits me.
I do have a musical background and one of the hazards of that is dissecting things too much, but from what I recall, and I have managed to blot most of that album from my memory, structurally, melodically and lyrically it really wasn't doing anything for me.

That said., if you like it then I'm happy for you. That's all it has to do, and it's just my opinion after all, and you're entitled to yours too. :)

Good post. Sums my thoughts up nicely

I'd be VERY interested to hear your opinion on Day & Age..

If you thought Sam's Town was bad...

Good post. Sums my thoughts up nicely

I'd be VERY interested to hear your opinion on Day & Age..

If you thought Sam's Town was bad...

Would you believe I haven't exactly rushed out to buy that one? :D

I just read a few reviews, but reading between the lines of "flowery" prose,
I remain unconvinced. Sounds like you've actually heard it and are...erm
underwhelmed somewhat?

Day and Age is contrived pap.
I LOVED Hot Fuss, warmed to Sam's Town (although some of it still irks me), but Day and Age is just...well...crap.

Shame, cos I had great hopes for The Killers.

Would you believe I haven't exactly rushed out to buy that one? :D

I just read a few reviews, but reading between the lines of "flowery" prose,
I remain unconvinced. Sounds like you've actually heard it and are...erm
underwhelmed somewhat?

I've heard it through about 5 times. Huge let down

I love Hot Fuss and i thought Sam's Town was just a small blip. In fact i let it slide cause I respected that they were trying something different, with the Sam's Town imagine and what not..

Day & Age though.. :thumbsdown:

You've got to expect that though, every Prodigy album is extremely different. Their new album coming out though....sounds a bit....twee for the Prodigy. Fat of the Land was brilliant IMO.

Poison is still their best ever tune. :thumbsu:

"awww ****'s sake...tryin to write this ****in tune man"

Prodigy have always been pretty progressive in terms of what they bring out. Jilted was insanely good. Electronic music at its very best. Fat of the Land was good. I liked it. Some songs couldnt get into then I really like now like Narayan. But smack my bitch up and breathe are classics. Again, they got on the electro train ahead of the curve with AONO.

The one coming out in Feburary should be interesting.

I can't. How can anyone be disappointed with that album? Only reason I can think of, was that it was after the massively successful albums of Ten, Vs and Vitalogy.

Gun album.

course its a gun album. but it was different to the first 3. people are quick to jump off when change arrives.

as for binaural, i didnt give it a lot of love for the first 20 listens. but have given it a lost more respect over the last 5 yrs or so. mike tearing up NAIS live for instance. i reckon it is a far stronger "live" album so to speak. take of the girl, grievance and insig for instance. rival is one i wish they'd bring back. parting ways is also a cracker. evacuation is a pretty weak tune... but then didnt matt write that? his songs are shithouse.

I've heard it through about 5 times. Huge let down

I love Hot Fuss and i thought Sam's Town was just a small blip. In fact i let it slide cause I respected that they were trying something different, with the Sam's Town imagine and what not..

Day & Age though.. :thumbsdown:

I thought Sawdust was the worst of all of them imo. I don't think they actually released a single from that album, maybe Tranquilize.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest Album Let down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back