biggest australian sport rivalries

Remove this Banner Ad

lol why?? Its embarrassing mate... I mean 6-0 when we are close enough to be equal with them (or were IMO)

Im always gonna see games vs Sydney more important or a greater rivalry

that is one match. Rivarly to me means it usually close, unexpected and causes alot of emotion.

that Grand Final was unexpected. But for me the emotion factor was zero because when it comes down to it, its soccer and I really could not care less about soccer.

that is one match. Rivarly to me means it usually close, unexpected and causes alot of emotion.

that Grand Final was unexpected. But for me the emotion factor was zero because when it comes down to it, its soccer and I really could not care less about soccer.

Probably true but I will always have more emotions present in a match v Sydney - generally we have great games with them
So far in 05-06 year we had a goodun with them, while in 06-07 it was Melbourne
I foresee a Roar rivalry this year lol

The West Australian lost all credibility when they said the Derby is Australias biggest rivalry.

What a joke, because Fremantle is a joke (today was an exception).
Its all in perspective (of course the WEST AUSTRALIAN NEWSPAPER will think the ALL WEST AUSTRALIAN GAME will be Australia's biggest rivalry) But it is in the tops for the most intense rivalries. I personally think NSW v QLD is the biggest, but the Derby is up there

SA vs Vic and Aus vs England would be the biggest 2 surely
Well. Aus vs England wouldn't count as England isn't IN Australia............
I would have agreed with the SA vs Vic rivalry 15 years ago... but no longer

Its all in perspective (of course the WEST AUSTRALIAN NEWSPAPER will think the ALL WEST AUSTRALIAN GAME will be Australia's biggest rivalry) But it is in the tops for the most intense rivalries. I personally think NSW v QLD is the biggest, but the Derby is up there

Im West Australian and i don't give a toss about the sanfl.

And most south aussies wouldnt know there was a east/south freo rivalry if it wasnt for the name and couldn't care

Im West Australian and i don't give a toss about the sanfl.

And most south aussies wouldnt know there was a east/south freo rivalry if it wasnt for the name and couldn't care
Thank you for proving my point :confused: ( i dont know whether you were agreeing or criticising my post lol)

I just thought it was obvious to the above post (above yours ashley) that considering all the rivalries are in Australia, thats what it meant (he noted this in the column)
Else the top 5 would only include the SOO league rivalry concerning Australian only rivalries

glen quartermans a fair dinkum goose:thumbsu: Fancy having east and south freo at 7....lol.

And Ashley beat me to it. NSW and QLD state of origin easy, then the Ashes, then Bledisloe cup, then the Derby. Showdown is just a pissy game in a tiny state. It generates NO interest anywhere else.
Then Ricmond vs credibility

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showdown is just a pissy game in a tiny state. It generates NO interest anywhere else.

I'm a neutral fan but I love watching showdowns. If you understood the reasons behind the rivalry, port going behind the sanfls back to try to enter the afl in 1990 etc etc then it would mean much more. The wa teams don't have this background behind their derbies.

Thank you for proving my point :confused: ( i dont know whether you were agreeing or criticising my post lol)

I just thought it was obvious to the above post (above yours ashley) that considering all the rivalries are in Australia, thats what it meant (he noted this in the column)
Else the top 5 would only include the SOO league rivalry concerning Australian only rivalries

Do you think rivalry means to fight one another or too cause emotion on the field and inspire teams to win when they wouldn't be expected too.

The Derby is just a slaughterfest West Coast- 18 Freo- 8?

Showdown is so close, spilts a state and with due cause. It has historical background and the games are actually close. Adelaide -11 Port -12

Thats why I find it so strange that they can claim the Derby is a bigger rivalry then the Showdown.

I still say SOO is the biggest because it pitts two states against one another. And is an honour of each player to represent there state.

Do you think rivalry means to fight one another or too cause emotion on the field and inspire teams to win when they wouldn't be expected too.

The Derby is just a slaughterfest West Coast- 18 Freo- 8?

Showdown is so close, spilts a state and with due cause. It has historical background and the games are actually close. Adelaide -11 Port -12

Thats why I find it so strange that they can claim the Derby is a bigger rivalry then the Showdown.

I still say SOO is the biggest because it pitts two states against one another. And is an honour of each player to represent there state.
lol I mentioned in another thread that the Derby is massively overrated and i also said it would be more of a rivalry if the win/loss ratio between the teams was much closer. Unfortunately the Derby gets much more attention due to the thuggish nature of both teams and the fact that its supporters tend to go overboard in these cases. At least its mainly words in Showdowns (though I heard on 5AA this morn that a few fights broke out, around 4)

The Showdown is more historical yet the Eastern states seem to take much more interest in the Derby (maybe because of game styles I dont really know)

Both are good and I agree that Showdowns seem more important to the team for the Crows and Port, while the Derby seems to mainly affect Freo supporters (only the extremely childish of course)

And of course, SOO actually matters in comparison, and it should for the players... Still because of the decline of AFL SOO the Vic/SA rivalry is not really much more any longer, so of course the only choice is the SOO of RL.

lol I mentioned in another thread that the Derby is massively overrated and i also said it would be more of a rivalry if the win/loss ratio between the teams was much closer. Unfortunately the Derby gets much more attention due to the thuggish nature of both teams and the fact that its supporters tend to go overboard in these cases. At least its mainly words in Showdowns (though I heard on 5AA this morn that a few fights broke out, around 4)

The Showdown is more historical yet the Eastern states seem to take much more interest in the Derby (maybe because of game styles I dont really know)

Both are good and I agree that Showdowns seem more important to the team for the Crows and Port, while the Derby seems to mainly affect Freo supporters (only the extremely childish of course)

And of course, SOO actually matters in comparison, and it should for the players... Still because of the decline of AFL SOO the Vic/SA rivalry is not really much more any longer, so of course the only choice is the SOO of RL.

The Clubs of the AFL will do there best to kill any rebirth of the AFL SOO. When in reality it would cause an explosion of interest in the game. We would see games with the best of the best playing.

I think the Derby is only rated because of the fights. An American friend of mine said when he was in the USA they used to show the fights(from the derby) and pay out the sport.

The Clubs of the AFL will do there best to kill any rebirth of the AFL SOO. When in reality it would cause an explosion of interest in the game. We would see games with the best of the best playing.

I think the Derby is only rated because of the fights. An American friend of mine said when he was in the USA they used to show the fights(from the derby) and pay out the sport.
lol thats a little sus considering there are many fights like that in games like Baseball and Basketball (non contact sports)

he is a baseball fan. I am pretty sure the fights in those two sports are very rare, and are usually by the managers. haha.
Which is even more sus lol

Nah very few traditional rivalries anymore other than LEAGUE SOO seeing that its no longer the VFL exclusively and no more AFL SOO

Rather watch a good match between two teams that respect each other than a good match fueled by hatred

Come to WA in dErby week and you'll see why it owns the Showdown..plus footy has a prouder and longer tradition in WA then SA. I also think that Vic V WA would be a bigger rivalry than SA V Vic.

Which is even more sus lol

Nah very few traditional rivalries anymore other than LEAGUE SOO seeing that its no longer the VFL exclusively and no more AFL SOO

Rather watch a good match between two teams that respect each other than a good match fueled by hatred

Yep. I know I am pushing the topic, but as soon as the fights started happening the commentators were like "WOW What a great game!". I relaly don't think fighting makes it a great game, just fires up the crowd.

The showdowns have calmed down in terms of fights and cheap shots. But still the intensity is still there.

I love SOO, its the only time of year when I wish SA was a rugby state.

bring back AFL SOO stat! (I wont have to buy a new flag, already got a state coloured flag:thumbsu:)

Remove this Banner Ad

biggest australian sport rivalries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back