Biggest crowd pulling games / teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Koutou43

Senior List
Aug 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Since 1897 there have been 132 h&a games that have drawn a crowd of 70k+.

There were no games pre-1950's that drew 70k+ as the games were all played at the small suburban grounds aside from Melbourne.

In the 1950's Melbourne games against Collingwood at the MCG started to draw large crowds. In the 1960's Richmond moved from Punt Rd to the MCG and their home games against Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon started to draw consistent big crowds.

In the 1980's the league started to move Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon games to the the MCG and VFL Park and large crowds became more common place.

For the record the biggest games are;

25 - Carlton v Collingwood
24 - Collingwood v Essendon
13 - Collingwood v Richmond
11 - Carlton v Essendon
9 - Essendon v Richmond, Collingwood v Melbourne
8 - Carlton v Richmond
5 - Essendon v Geelong
4 - Collingwood v Geelong/St Kilda/Hawthorn
3 - Essendon v Melbourne
2 - Geelong v Melbourne, Collingwood v Nth Melbourne
1 - Carl v Geel, Geel v Haw, Ess v Haw, Swans v Coll, Haw v Swans, Rich v Melb. Rich v St K,Rich v Geel, Melb v St K

By Club;

86 - Collingwood
53 - Essendon
45 - Carlton
33 - Richmond
16 - Melbourne
14 - Geelong
7 - St Kilda & Hawthorn
2 - North Melbourne
1 - Swans

Thanks for the history lesson.

I am sure if Adelaide and Perth had big enough grounds the Crows, Eagles and maybe even Freo could draw big crowds.

I reckon our derbies would crack 70k more often than not if our stadium was big enough.

Yup. Be a lot more general public tickets - not to mention the other members

Our derbies - the 06/07 derbies in particular - would have got around 70-80k easily if we had a big enough stadium

40-50k eagles members + 30-40k freo members + general public would have covered 70k easily

but you dont have , and so facts show

true but you were the only big drawing team playing out of the MCG in the 60's 70's and 80's.

You're missing the point. The following table of 70K draws v ladder position shows you're much more likely to pull a monster crowd if you're sitting in the top four on the ladder.

Code:
  | R1  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 | To
--|----------------------------------------------------|---
Co|  4 11 13 10 15  8  7  4  2  6  1  2  1  -  1  -  1 | 86
Es|  3 12  8  8  4  1  -  1  3  2  3  3  2  2  -  -  1 | 53
Ca|  7 11  3  4  6  -  3  5  1  -  1  -  -  -  3  1  - | 45
Ri|  5  7  4  1  4  1  2  3  -  1  -  2  -  -  -  2  1 | 33
Me|  1  7  3  2  1  -  1  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  1  - | 16
Ge|  -  3  5  1  3  1  1  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - | 14
Ha|  -  1  -  2  -  -  -  1  -  3  -  -  -  -  -  -  - |  7
St|  -  -  1  2  1  -  -  1  -  1  -  -  -  -  -  -  - |  6
NM|  -  -  -  1  1  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - |  2
Sy|  -  1  -  -  -  -  -  -  1  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - |  2
--|----------------------------------------------------|---
To| 20 53 37 31 35 11 14 15  7 13  5  7  3  2  4  4  3 |264

This is the AFL, not the VFL right? This thread only applies to Victorian clubs, even though interstate clubs have more members than most. What a pointless circle jerking thread this is.:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the AFL, not the VFL right? This thread only applies to Victorian clubs, even though interstate clubs have more members than most. What a pointless circle jerking thread this is.:thumbsdown:

Get a real stadium or **** off then.

Edit: I don't like to post like this but the thread title is crystal clear, so nobody should open it then act all disappointed when it turns out to be exactly as proclaimed.

but you dont have , and so facts show

yuz gotz da gud gramerr and spellingz skillz broo

Nov. 2010 join date as well noice :D

But seriously...

Of course we don't have a big enough stadium and therefore we can't get 70,000+ to games with a 40,000 stadium

But if we did have a big enough stadium and tickets were readily available, even if we only got 2/3 of each teams respective members we'd get 50-60,000 seats filled for derbies and 40,000-50,000+ on normal weeks (Eagles would probably get 50,000-60,000+)

Sooner we dump this state govt. the better - Subi is an absolute shite-hole of a stadium

Get a real stadium or **** off then.

Edit: I don't like to post like this but the thread title is crystal clear, so nobody should open it then act all disappointed when it turns out to be exactly as proclaimed.
Oh, ok then.:rolleyes: It isn't our problem that we have a shit government. The cockiness of some Victorians is pathetic.

Oh, ok then.:rolleyes: It isn't our problem that we have a shit government. The cockiness of some Victorians is pathetic.

A 70,000-seater would only be fully utilised twice a year in Adelaide, if that.

I'm really not sure what your issue is with this thread. If it's that non-Victorian clubs barely figure in the list, that's pathetic.

A 70,000-seater would only be fully utilised twice a year in Adelaide, if that.

I'm really not sure what your issue is with this thread. If it's that non-Victorian clubs barely figure in the list, that's pathetic.

What I found interesting was that Victorian clubs need to play another Victorian club to get over 70k. The only game in Melbourne that didn't involve 2 Victorian clubs was the last ever game at Waverley.

You'd think the huge crowd pulling juggernauts of the 'big 4' would be able to draw 70k off their own bat now and then. I guess not. Now that's pathetic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest crowd pulling games / teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back