Biggest crowd pulling games / teams

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a habit of counting membership car stickers and just random people wearing footy gear.

One time at Kmart (where I work casual) I decided to ask all the people walking through my register what team they supported, I kept the results in my head and these results also validate the OP's 'big four' 70k theory.

Collingwood 57
Richmond 48
Carlton 43
Essendon 39
Melbourne 11
Geelong 8
St.Kilda 3
Hawthorn 1
North Melbourne 1
Interstate 5.

Either way you look at it there is a big gap between the top four and the rest.

Melbourne supporters are also hiding, and I bet there are many more who are willing to come out once they win.

Geelong still have bandwagon support and the other teams are all similiar.

We have gotten a few in the 65-68k region that I know of, but no 70k+. But is it really that surprising?

If true, I am genuinely freakin surprised at that. Never?

Never been up near the top and played the Pies at the G or something.

Yep - genuinely surprised.

Whatever you reckon - but that's not borne out in the crowd figures. Whether an opponent is Victorian or not does not appear to encourage more than a small number of extra fans of a club to attend.

BTW, your Cousins scenario proves my point - it's the hype and event that get the part timers attending. If Richmond was playing an interstate opponent in round 22 for top spot, then i'd expect a crowd of 50k (lets say 47k Richmond supporters. If it was a Victorian opponent, then i'd expect exactly the same number of Richmond fans to be there. The crowd would top 70k because of the opposition support, not because more Richmond fans would attend.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, although I maintain that, in the face of constraints, Richmond supporters will make arrangements to attend matches against Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon in preference to others, with non-Victorian clubs at the bottom of the heap. Also reckon it's a slightly different crowd v the interstaters - more family-oriented.

Between 2002-2010 Richmond played 28 games with crowds of 50k or more. In 16 of those games Richmond were the home team. 6 of those home games came in 06 & 08 where Richmond were a chance of making finals.

Over the same period Carlton have played 41, interestingly 22 of those games came between 2008-2010 when the Blues also happened to start climbing the ladder again and played more games against other sides in finals contention.

In the 04-05 seasons where the Pies missed the finals they had a total 15 games with 50k or more. In the 5 years since where they have played finals every year they have averaged 12 per season.

In 05-06 Essendon were bottom 4 and played only 7 games in front of 50k or more. In every other year when they have had some chance of finals or were coming off finals i.e. this year they have averaged around 8 per year.

No surprise that each teams numbers increased or decreased depending on their level of onfield success. Just goes to show that its not only Richmond that need onfield success to draw crowds, but interestingly enough Richmond seems to have the least amount of difference between a good year and a bad year.

Between 2002-2010 Richmond played 28 games with crowds of 50k or more. In 16 of those games Richmond were the home team. 6 of those home games came in 06 & 08 where Richmond were a chance of making finals.

Over the same period Carlton have played 41, interestingly 22 of those games came between 2008-2010 when the Blues also happened to start climbing the ladder again and played more games against other sides in finals contention.

In the 04-05 seasons where the Pies missed the finals they had a total 15 games with 50k or more. In the 5 years since where they have played finals every year they have averaged 12 per season.

In 05-06 Essendon were bottom 4 and played only 7 games in front of 50k or more. In every other year when they have had some chance of finals or were coming off finals i.e. this year they have averaged around 8 per year.

No surprise that each teams numbers increased or decreased depending on their level of onfield success. Just goes to show that its not only Richmond that need onfield success to draw crowds, but interestingly enough Richmond seems to have the least amount of difference between a good year and a bad year.

and in that time richmond has been gifted games such as the opening game of the season and the "dreamtime" game.

There is a large correlation between attendance and build-up, i fail to understand why people cannot see this

but you dont have , and so facts show

Ok so then how about this, WA has a population of around 2.3 Million and Victoria has a population of 5.5 Million. So with less than half your population we still get regularly 43K ( sell outs mind you ) @ Subiaco Oval and if we use an often used system of per/head of population we in fact have far greater turn outs ( ie: big crowds ) on a more regular basis.

Put that in your pipe and smoke that!

Had Waverley Park had decent public transport there, would St Kilda, Hawthorn and possibly a few other teams figures look better.
Geelong have done well for 14 considering the amount of people that would have had to have made a trip up the highway.

and in that time richmond has been gifted games such as the opening game of the season and the "dreamtime" game.

There is a large correlation between attendance and build-up, i fail to understand why people cannot see this

Yes...because Richmond were 'gifted' those matches and the AFL paid for everyone's ticket...

Your opinion is just wrong :eek:

You say we've been gifted the opening game, since 2002 our opening game crowds have been:
2002 65k vs Collingwood (home)
2003 61k vs Collingwood (away)
2004 55k vs Collingwood (home)
2005 48k vs Geelong (home) second best crowd for the weekend on Easter Sunday
2006 43k vs Bulldogs (away) second best crowd for the weekend, beaten by Essendon v Sydney, played on Friday night.
2007 59k vs Carlton (away) again second best crowd for the weekend, played Sunday twilight.
2008 72k vs Carlton (away)
2009 87k vs Carlton (home) Cousins/Judd factor
2010 72k vs Carlton (home)

As you can see when we play the opening game of the season we along with Carlton/Collingwood fans are assured of bringing in a good crowd.

Even when we've been drawn in a later time slot we've always played in the second biggest game attendance wise for the round. Nothing like an optimistic Richmond fan to get the season off to a good start.

As for the Dreamtime game, in the 4 years that has been running its attracted 64k, 73k, 60k & 61k, although I doubt its just the Dreamtime game that has brought in the crowds. Since 2000 we've played the Dons 20 times, in that time we've only had 2 games where the crowd has fallen below 45k, with 13 games drawing more than 50k.

So using your 'logic' Carlton gets gifted the opening round each year as well? How dare Carlton profit on the back of the strong support that Richmond get. :rolleyes:

I have a habit of counting membership car stickers and just random people wearing footy gear.

One time at Kmart (where I work casual) I decided to ask all the people walking through my register what team they supported, I kept the results in my head and these results also validate the OP's 'big four' 70k theory.

Collingwood 57
Richmond 48
Carlton 43
Essendon 39
Melbourne 11
Geelong 8
St.Kilda 3
Hawthorn 1
North Melbourne 1
Interstate 5.

Either way you look at it there is a big gap between the top four and the rest.

Melbourne supporters are also hiding, and I bet there are many more who are willing to come out once they win.

Geelong still have bandwagon support and the other teams are all similiar.

I'm tipping you don't work at Southland ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to think that over the years the AFL can put anyone up against Carlton or Collingwood Round 1 and hey presto they are "gifted" a 70K attendance. It simply isn't like that mate. For example 1998 to 2001 saw Hawthorn "gifted" Round 1 openers at the G V the Magpies every year.....average attendance was about 50,000. You see not anyone can be "gifed" big attendances. A club has to have the core matchgoing fanbase to turn the "gift" into a blockbusting attendance.

Thge simple reality is that Carlton against Richmond ( or Essendon or Collingwood) will on average draw thousands more than any other match up the AFL can have for the Blues.

This exemplifies why many of us are unhappy with the AFL's decision to keep propping up North Melbourne.

So you are unhappy that North have had 3 profits in a row whilst increasing their football spend by $3m a year, building a facility and having no interstate games (losing 1.2 m in revenue)?

Gee, North better not get back in the top 4 or wipe their debt or get 600 -750 K a game for selling games like the Hawks do in Tassie.

Gee if that happens you will never get rid of them.

You seem to think that over the years the AFL can put anyone up against Carlton or Collingwood Round 1 and hey presto they are "gifted" a 70K attendance. It simply isn't like that mate.

Case in point - Round 1 double-header, March 20, 2008.

Carlton v Richmond - 15th & 16th the previous year - draws 72K to the MCG

Port Adelaide v Geelong - the Grand Final rematch with Port out for revenge on their home patch - draws 28K to AAMI

Case in point - Round 1 double-header, March 20, 2008.

Carlton v Richmond - 15th & 16th the previous year - draws 72K to the MCG

Port Adelaide v Geelong - the Grand Final rematch with Port out for revenge on their home patch - draws 28K to AAMI

its not really fair to bring port into it.

As Ron the Bear said earlier ladder position is everything in deciding how often a Big 4club breaks 70K.

Use Richmond at home to Essendon for example in second half of season since 1995 to show this.

Eight Richmond home games.
Richmond top eight 3 times; Two 70K plus and Average Att 66,689.
Richmond bottom eight 5 times : Biggest attendance was 58, 812 and the average is 50,440 - a 25% fall off.

A similar exercise for any of the match ups will reveal similar stats using second half of season because ladder position is well established and the Anzac day/ Dreamtime/R1 factors are nullified.

Example. Collingwood have been designated home team in eight games V Essendon in second half of season since 1995.

In 4 games Colllingwood have been top eight. average att. 70,782 with two 70K plus.
In 4 games Collingwood have been bottom eight ave. att. 52,659 - a drop off of 25% exactly as with Richmond VS Essendon - and a highest crowd of 56,129.

Ladder position is the key. The Big 4's percentage of home games drawing 70K plus WHILE TOP EIGHT or WHILE BOTTOM EIGHT,, once ladder position is established and the set piece blockbusters are over, will be and are remarkably similar.

Following my above post we have Carlton designated at home to Essendon 7 times in second half of season since 1995

Carlton top 8 four times. Average att. 70,793 with one 70K plus.
Carlton bottom 8 three times ave att. 48,617 with none bigger than 58,512.

None of Carlton/Collingwood/Richmond have ever drawn more than 60K at home to Essendon second half of season while bottom 8. All three have drawn 70K V Essendon while top 8.

What a suprise ! coll & Ess 1 & 2, always said we carry the rest of you lot !

Honestly its Collingwood then a huge gap. Without Anzac Day Essendon would be behind Carlton.

To summarise its Collingwood then a gap to Carlton, Essendon and Richmond making up the top 4.

Melbourne and Geelong are on the next level followed by Hawthorn and St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest crowd pulling games / teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back