Biggest non-Grand Final Games of All-Time

Remove this Banner Ad

This game feels meaningless (in terms of a prelim) outside of who the clubs are.

Collingwood aren't a dominant force, Richmond are clearly a step above.

Big games need a long standing rivalry of two champion teams who are at the top of their powers meeting after a recent history of storied results.

This is just a match of the two best marketing teams in the AFL.
From a neutral perspective, you're right, but between the two clubs I feel like the rivalry has been re-building over recent years.

Richmond belted the Pies in late 2015 which had a bit of a fallout, then Treloar picked Collingwood over Richmond with the infamous "better list" quote. Then there was R2 2016, we lead by 3 goals late, Cotchin walked past Treloar with words to the effect of "who's got the better list now?" Treloar's response came in the form of 3 quick pies goals to pinch it with seconds remaining, and a ruffle of Cotchin's hair.
Obviously in 2017, we won the flag, and Treloar's comments from 2 years prior were on high rotation. Then Richmond smashed Collingwood's membership record, laying a serious claim to be the biggest club in the land, which has caused angst (at least on BF), and now Collingwood have got their shit together and meet us in a prelim. I'm pretty sure Cotchin seriously dislikes Treloar now too.

It perhaps doesn't do it for neutrals, and that's fair enough, but it is huge for the two clubs involved, who certainly aren't small clubs.

Essendon v Collingwood Round 19 1990

Game was moved to VFL/AFL Park and game was screened live into Melbourne. Melbourne games been screened live into Melbourne was a rare occurrence at that point in time.

Geelong v Hawthorn R17 2008 buildup was huge, only surpassed by R15 2009.

Collingwood v Gelelong R19 2010 was huge too. The day Collingwood announced themselves as genuine.

Carlton v essendon r20 2000 was a pretty huge buildup for a regular season game.
Essendon were on top and on some crazy unbeaten run(don't think they'd dropped a game yet the whole season). Carlton were clearly the 2nd best side all year and came into the game winning 13-15 in a row.
Kouta was in bronlow medal favorite form , having won a bunch of games off his own boot (though I think he went down in that game and missed the finals).
Was a huge crowd and pretty decent contest with Bombers taking the chocolates in the end

Carlton v essendon r20 2000 was a pretty huge buildup for a regular season game.
Essendon were on top and on some crazy unbeaten run(don't think they'd dropped a game yet the whole season). Carlton were clearly the 2nd best side all year and came into the game winning 13-15 in a row.
Kouta was in bronlow medal favorite form , having won a bunch of games off his own boot (though I think he went down in that game and missed the finals).
Was a huge crowd and pretty decent contest with Bombers taking the chocolates in the end
91,000 at the game and the two biggest clubs in Melbourne at the time. I remember it was massive. Carlton lost the week before to the dogs after winning 13 or so in a row and Essendon obviously undefeated to that point. They had a point to prove after the 99 prelim loss and they won by about 20 points, was even until Kouta went down. Memories!

as previously mentioned the 2013 Hawks v Cats prelim has to be number 1

-Cats undefeated against hawks in the 5 years (11-0) following the biggest Grand Final upset in the AFL era.
-Hawks the best team in the comp in that H&A season despite losing twice to second placed Geelong.
-Hawks went into the last quarter 20 points down despite dominating the game winning i50 count 63-42 and had 10 more scoring chances.
-Hawks came back with the last 3 goals in the game to complete a record 3 qtr time finals comeback.
-Leigh Matthews rule applied, first to 100 won. Hawks 102-97 Geelong. Crowd was so loud the final siren couldn't be heard on the ground.

Crazy, crazy game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest non-Grand Final Games of All-Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back