Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm retiring on Monday Woo Hoo!

Looking forward to having time to go to Crows training and maybe get to meet some of the players bigman.
Congrats! You lucky **** :p :D

naD.gif

But seriously - bigman where do you go to find (open) training session times? I've never had any luck with the club website, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Im pretty sure the sessions arent really open, theres just no fence to stop people watching. I guess if you turn up to footy park at 9am on a monday and wed you will be a good chance to catch them training.

Where would Nank, Dowling, Jones on a wing leave smith?
Hinge and Milera are our two back flanks surely. Spots getting tight for smith, but we know how Adel treat senior players regardless of form or better youngsters ..
With everyone fit and with no injuries, I think Nank will start in the SANFL. He looked really good in his couple of games last year but I think he is still behind a couple of others when everyone is available. And with Curtin coming in that now adds another option he is competing with for a spot.

Nank will still get plenty of games this year and I can see him having a good career with us, but right now I think he has a few in front of him.

With everyone fit and with no injuries, I think Nank will start in the SANFL. He looked really good in his couple of games last year but I think he is still behind a couple of others when everyone is available. And with Curtin coming in that now adds another option he is competing with for a spot.

Nank will still get plenty of games this year and I can see him having a good career with us, but right now I think he has a few in front of him.
Spots 20, 21 and 22 really come down to coaches support

Who do they rate? Who do they see a role for?

There are always a bunch of players putting their hand up for those last few spots and a number of ways the coaches could go.

But seriously - bigman where do you go to find (open) training session times? I've never had any luck with the club website, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

They’re all open arrowman. Just rock up and grab a park from 9am on mon wed and fri. There’s a grassy knoll to watch from too. The club has been good about it too, I’ve seen players especially the rehab boys pose for photos and chat with fans.

As for today not going to lie there was not a whole lot to take out of it. The club’s academy lads were there and took part in some of the drills which would’ve been a real thrill for them, some of them weren’t too shabby either. Welsh was there but I could’ve sworn he had a slight limp, hopefully nothing too sinister.

As for no-shows it was just pedlar today. Probably first session he’s missed in a long time. Hinge was back while sloane milera and dragon all participated in some of the drills which was good to see. Murray still in rehab as expected while Harry was a bit more involved today on the sidelines. Thilthorpe did all the drills and looked good. Murphy has some heavy strapping in his knee

Would seem that rachele and soligo both left the track early before the end of session running. Hopefully nothing too serious going on there.

Players were split into groups of four for majority of session with each rotating between four different drills (hands in tight, ball movement, tackling etc) A small amount of match sim-style followed but overall no one really stood out today. Typically Wednesday and Friday have a bit more of the interesting stuff.

Ryan continues to impress me, he’s got a slightly rugged style about him but there is a bit of class and speed there that makes you take notice, reminds me a bit of wilmot from Brisbane albeit not quite as explosive. Better kick though

Other things that caught my eye were a beautiful spinning clearance from Taylor to release the ball by hand (his ball handling is right up there with the best in the squad), nank and his sheer speed and I thought billy again showed good signs today including an excellent run down tackle of soli.

Club had their camera team following the players a lot today so I would expect some footage on social media.

Last edited:
I don’t think any of those 3 are in our best team as wingmen. Dowling will be half forward and inside mid if he makes it and Jones showed last year that he is definately a backman if he makes our best team, and I think he does. I love the idea of Nank on a wing but he has work to do to get there. Smith and Hinge should be first chosen there as both have real weapons for the position, and both are not needed at half back this year with Mileras form as well as Curtin and Max coming into the team.

I really don’t understand the talk about Smith. He and Tex both played at an extremely high level last year (unlike Sloane unfortunately) and both could easily have 2 years left.
Jones best games last year were on a wing imo... just kept being pushed back into defence as defenders kept getting injured during games.

I have Nankervis in my best side... but he's likely to be on thr fringe for sure.

Really like his height & adds to the players we can play either wing or HBF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have Nankervis in my best side... but he's likely to be on thr fringe for sure.

Really like his height & adds to the players we can play either wing or HBF.
What will elevate Nank is when he gets his chance, he needs to play with real dash and flair but keep the error rate right down in terms of kicking efficiency and decision making (not saying either is bad, but being clean whilst providing real drive will be the key for him)

They’re all open arrowman. Just rock up and grab a park from 9am on mon wed and fri. There’s a grassy knoll to watch from too. The club has been good about it too, I’ve seen players especially the rehab boys pose for photos and chat with fans.

As for today not going to lie there was not a whole lot to take out of it. The club’s academy lads were there and took part in some of the drills which would’ve been a real thrill for them, some of them weren’t too shabby either. Welsh was there but I could’ve sworn he had a slight limp, hopefully nothing too sinister.

As for no-shows it was just pedlar today. Probably first session he’s missed in a long time. Hinge was back while sloane milera and dragon all participated in some of the drills which was good to see. Murray still in rehab as expected while Harry was a bit more involved today on the sidelines. Thilthorpe did all the drills and looked good. Murphy has some heavy strapping in his knee

Would seem that rachele and soligo both left the track early before the end of session running. Hopefully nothing too serious going on there.

Players were split into groups of four for majority of session with each rotating between four different drills (hands in tight, ball movement, tackling etc) A small amount of match sim-style followed but overall no one really stood out today. Typically Wednesday and Friday have a bit more of the interesting stuff.

Ryan continues to impress me, he’s got a slightly rugged style about him but there is a bit of class and speed there that makes you take notice, reminds me a bit of wilmot from Brisbane albeit not quite as explosive. Better kick though

Other things that caught my eye were a beautiful spinning clearance from Taylor to release the ball by hand (his ball handling is right up there with the best in the squad), nank and his sheer speed and I thought billy again showed good signs today including an excellent run down tackle of soli.

Club had their camera team following the players a lot today so I would expect some footage on social media.
I have seen a few clips of Thilthorpe and I feel like he looks noticeably stronger through the core and shoulders.

Have you noticed him playing with any additional functional strength?

If he makes the senior team, Karl becomes the third Gallagher to play an AFL game for the Crows.

It would be the 5th time three or more players with the same surname have played for the Crows.

4 x Cook
3 x Brown
3 x Thompson
3 x Stevens

There are quite a few cases where 2 players with the same surname have played (at least 10). I think a fair few of those were brothers, and I think the Rowes are the only F/S combo so far.

Has Cook being going well? I love to hear that if so.

He's one that i've been a touch worried about making it, so if he's training the house down i'd be over the moon!
I am so keen for Cooky to become the gun player he can be.

Still looks like an 18 year old in his photos though. Hopefully they are just unflattering, as the noise was he's put in a lot of effort in the preseason.

Has Cook being going well? I love to hear that if so.

He's one that i've been a touch worried about making it, so if he's training the house down i'd be over the moon!
Only based on the Bigman report that Cook is leading Gollant in the forward line and race to McAdam's spot. Interesting that Gollant had the spot in the West Coast game when McAdam didn't play.

Don't want to put words in Bigman's mouth!

Im pretty sure the sessions arent really open, theres just no fence to stop people watching. I guess if you turn up to footy park at 9am on a monday and wed you will be a good chance to catch them training.
And easy to see over the fence if you are a bigman

Yeah, Gallagher is among our all-time worst players. I remember in his first few games I thought "wow, this kid has some confidence, loves to take the game on and run with the ball etc.". Then after a little while it became apparent that he was just running with the ball until he inevitably got caught because he had absolutely no idea what else to do with it once he got it.
My memory may be fading but I think it was D Gallagher who had a personal tragedy whilst in Adelaide so the AFC helped him get home to Victoria - I think football may have been a long way from his priority at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back