Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely mids and leaving our forwards out numbered.

Nicks tried to counter that by a possession game and slow ball movement so our defenders weren’t exposed. Issue is we eventually just bombed it long anyway to their intercept defenders and we were caught on the rebound anyway.

It was a stupid plan which he eventually changed but the damage was done. Fancy moving the ball slowly to our forward line which is our strength. Having said that, given what they had to endure this year, I reckon our defence was our best line.
The need to improve our defence was correct ( not talking purely defenders but scores against )

The execution to do it with the players we have was well off the mark

The need to improve our defence was correct ( not talking purely defenders but scores against )

The execution to do it with the players we have was well off the mark

Strongly disagree with this. This is what conclusion you come to when you do kiddy level data analysis (ie just looking at for and against sums), which is what it looks like the club did, which is kinda disturbing.

When you look at the context, blind freddy could see our issue was that we still weren't attacking enough.

We had long strings of uninterrupted opposition scoring between our scores.
We had no ability to score quickly when the game was on even terms or against us.

Things like this then contributed to scoreboard pressure against us and not the opposition. Which culminated in defensive breakdowns and added a lot of oppo scoring to the tally.

This was similar again for this season, though probably not as bad as for last. Not helped by personnel issues at both ends of the ground this year too.

I still don't think that the club's defense enhanced gameplan was shifted to the extent it was made out to be on here, it was only a minor shift, but a flawed one that didn't really help, nor, unlike others, do I think that it played a particularly large part in our early results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back