Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't underestimate a fully fit and primed N Murray - He looked short of a gallop when he came back late this season but his pre injury 2023 form was extremely sound.

If he can have a big 2025 season - we might just look alright :thumbsu:

Gather Round 2023 v Carlton; Big Nick was imposing.

He can be very, very good.

An easy fixture may well get us into finals, but I don't think it will do anything to help us get to a prelim. We have to actually beat some good teams to do that.

I will just be happy if we see genuine improvement across the board in 2025. Not just in terms of the players themselves, but in terms of better selection policies, clearer gameplan, etc.

Thats definitely an interesting take.

In 2023 - we went 3 wins and 4 losses against the top 4 teams. Those 4 losses came at an average losing margin of 4 points.

In 2024 - Our record wasn't as good, but we were definitely competitive. We went 2-5 against the top 4 teams. One of those losses was by 5 points at the cattery. Admittedly we got smoked by Sydney twice. We also had a draw and 8 point loss to the premiers.

We aren't that far away. Adding in ANB, Cumming and Peatling makes us significantly better when you consider the amount of games given to McHenry, Murphy, Hamill, Berry, Schoenberg, Parnell over the past 2 years.

I reckon we will surprise next year too
I thought that this year 😢

I was surprised alright.

The Thilthorpe pre season injury was a harbinger.

Well, no, not really surprised when, and after it all went south in the first 4 games.

I'm busting for 2025 with the new additions and hopefully we don't lose our backline at various stages of the season again.

I reckon we will surprise next year too

For me I think we actually have an extremely even list now and the additions of 3 quality best 22 players makes us stronger.

But TT is the big one for me. I am expecting a Tippet 2009 level breakout for him (Tippet was 22 entering 2009 - same age as TT will be entering 2025).

He average 2.1 goals in his 7 games this year. Another preseason under his belt entering 2025 and he just seems ready to absolutely dominate the AFL.

For me I think we actually have an extremely even list now and the additions of 3 quality best 22 players makes us stronger.

But TT is the big one for me. I am expecting a Tippet 2009 level breakout for him (Tippet was 22 entering 2009 - same age as TT will be entering 2025).

He average 2.1 goals in his 7 games this year. Another preseason under his belt entering 2025 and he just seems ready to absolutely dominate the AFL.
No doubt we will have a better side but so will other teams above us and some of these teams were miles ahead of us, just those out of the 8:

Collingwood 4.5 wins ahead of us added Perryman and possibly Houston.
Freo 4 wins ahead of us adding Bolton and possibly Baker.
Gold Coast 2.5 wins adding Rioli, Noble

Plus some of the teams in the 8 like the Hawks and Cats adding to their team. Lions will have a heap back from injury.

Plus we have Nicks.

No doubt we will have a better side but so will other teams above us and some of these teams were miles ahead of us, just those out of the 8:

Plus some of the teams in the 8 like the Hawks and Cats adding to their team. Lions will have a heap back from injury.

All fair points.

But many others have seemed to not improve at this stage (Carlton, Bulldogs, Saints, Bombers) - whilst others seem to have lost significant pieces (GWS, Power, Melbourne).

Geelong is interesting - they lost best 22 players Tuoy, Hawkins, - but Age alone could see a slide with Danger (35), Cameron (32), Stewart (32), Duncan (33), Stanley/Blikavs (34) when the season starts.

Sydney are going to be up against it in 2025 after getting smoked in the Grand Final. History hasn't been kind to teams who get smoked in the Grand Final.

Plus we have Nicks.

That is the #1 concern in 2025 for me.

M

Plus we have Nicks.
Where you think we finish ?

I thought that this year 😢

I was surprised alright.

The Thilthorpe pre season injury was a harbinger.

Well, no, not really surprised when, and after it all went south in the first 4 games.

I'm busting for 2025 with the new additions and hopefully we don't lose our backline at various stages of the season again.
Our pre season wasn’t up to scratch and you could tell in pre season games and then TT injury

Was a complete different feel to the prev pre season where we hit ground running in our trial games abs everyone looked fit and confident

Pre seasons are just so important as are injuries

Pre seasons are just so important as are injuries

Its another one of Nick's massive red flags. You can understand slow starts for finals teams. Late start to preseason, focusing on the long season - player rest is vital.

We have had early preseasons - every single one of Nicks 5 full seasons.

We are 1-9 over the past 5 seasons in the first 2 rounds. Thats bloody disgraceful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its another one of Nick's massive red flags. You can understand slow starts for finals teams. Late start to preseason, focusing on the long season - player rest is vital.

We have had early preseasons - every single one of Nicks 5 full seasons.

We are 1-9 over the past 5 seasons in the first 2 rounds. Thats bloody disgraceful.
Yep I think 2024 was the worst too , looked unprepared

2023 we looked good in pre season and even though took a few rounds to get going were playing well in patches

This one is vital and then hit ground running

Yep I think 2024 was the worst too , looked unprepared

2023 we looked good in pre season and even though took a few rounds to get going were playing well in patches

This one is vital and then hit ground running
Didn’t help we spent the preseason working on a stupid defensive game plan so when we played we were missing that run and attack which made it look worse.

Yep 0-4 and sacked then go 16-4 will do
Season 2 Yes GIF by Paramount+

Well we did have to improve our defence , but we didn’t execute it well correct
9th ranked defence, we didn’t need an overhaul of our gameplan. We needed a better midfield and to allow our young defence more time together and to gain experience. Also didn’t need Murphy moving up the ground so much to leave our forwards out numbered and monstered by intercept defenders as they didn’t give a shit about seeing Murphy up the ground.

9th ranked defence, we didn’t need an overhaul of our gameplan. We needed a better midfield and to allow our young defence more time together and to gain experience. Also didn’t need Murphy moving up the ground so much to leave our forwards out numbered and monstered by intercept defenders as they didn’t give a shit about seeing Murphy up the ground.
Was more full ground defence the issue

Not our defenders so much

Mainly forwards and mids I think , need more speed in forward half for pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back