Player Watch Billy Frampton

Remove this Banner Ad

I dare say we put yesterday down as a “Frampton in defence” game, given nearly all our “winning” happened when he was there. Played forward against Melbourne.

W-L-D
Defence: 7-1-2
Forward/Didn’t Play: 1-3-0

Last edited:

He's a defender. And a good defender. Please leave him there.

I don't think anyone has ever challenged that premise that he's a better defender than a forward, but he's still our best option as a 2nd ruck (Frampton 3 HOs from 7 RCs; Kreuger 2 from 11) which means he's still needed to play forward. Be interesting to see which way the selectors opt to go.

I don't think anyone has ever challenged that premise that he's a better defender than a forward, but he's still our best option as a 2nd ruck (Frampton 3 HOs from 7 RCs; Kreuger 2 from 11) which means he's still needed to play forward. Be interesting to see which way the selectors opt to go.

Hopefully the set up which won by 49 points, instead of the one which lost by 48. Being 24% better at being a part-time ruckman and earning those 1-2 extra hitouts just isn’t worth it.

Was one of Frampton’s ruck “hit-outs” the one where he smacked it away from congestion straight into the lap of a North player on his own while inside 50m? All you need is a contest from a back-up ruck, half the hitouts go to the opposition anyway.

Last edited:
Hopefully the set up which won by 49 points, instead of the one which lost by 48. Being 24% better at being a part-time ruckman and earning those 1-2 extra hitouts just isn’t worth it.

Was one of Frampton’s ruck “hit-outs” the one where he smacked it away from congestion straight into the lap of a North player on his own while inside 50m? All you need is a contest from a back-up ruck, half the hitouts go to the opposition anyway.

I think that was more about the transformation in midfield fortunes than anything to do with where Frampton lined up.

Am I sensing some negative vibes directed to our Billy. He's done serviceable jobs on Daniher, Kernow Wright, Lynch (last season) and now Larkey. Our defence works best when he takes the main guy and Darcy and Howe support him. Generally uses the ball well. Just because he hasn't set the world on fire when asked to take one for the team and play forward/ruck doesn't mean he should be bagged. Billy is ok.

I get the Dean selection to get games into him. But going forward this year. Billy boy has find he’s spot down back. DM needs his soldiers around him now, no more future thinking. This team will catch fire shortly the pieces need to be set.

I can see this comment has been made before. But it's so obvious that he is a total defender. Even when he plays forward he looks like a defender.
I really like the combination or Moore, Frampton and Dean as our key backs, and move Howe forward full-time.

Am I sensing some negative vibes directed to our Billy. He's done serviceable jobs on Daniher, Kernow Wright, Lynch (last season) and now Larkey. Our defence works best when he takes the main guy and Darcy and Howe support him. Generally uses the ball well. Just because he hasn't set the world on fire when asked to take one for the team and play forward/ruck doesn't mean he should be bagged. Billy is ok.
I agree that Billy is OK. I'm more suggesting that there is a chance that Billy gets squeezed out. Howe has been excellent playing alongside Moore. If they want to keep that pairing, Dean might hold out Billy for that third role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it remains horses for courses with Howe, depending on match-ups. For me though Frampton should remain in the back half; whether Howe plays there too depends on the need for a 4th 'tall' defender who's capable of intercepting, otherwise I'd like to see him either forward or on the wing with a licence to either help out in defence or stretch the opposition wing.

I agree that Billy is OK. I'm more suggesting that there is a chance that Billy gets squeezed out. Howe has been excellent playing alongside Moore. If they want to keep that pairing, Dean might hold out Billy for that third role.
I'd be really surprised if we went that way.

Dean is showing good signs and is improving, but in his limited career to date he has looked a bit suspect 1 on 1. When Dean plays on someone not particularly good he does well; against a threat, he looks vulnerable. of course that might change with experience, and none of this is surprising, most inexperienced KPD cop a few educative hidings along the way. Billy is more experienced and has some big name scalps.

Play Dean, and Howe and Moore have to play on the threats. Play Billy and one of them plays on a lesser player and that frees them up to do what they do best - intercept...

I'd be really surprised if we went that way.

Dean is showing good signs and is improving, but in his limited career to date he has looked a bit suspect 1 on 1. When Dean plays on someone not particularly good he does well; against a threat, he looks vulnerable. of course that might change with experience, and none of this is surprising, most inexperienced KPD cop a few educative hidings along the way. Billy is more experienced and has some big name scalps.

Play Dean, and Howe and Moore have to play on the threats. Play Billy and one of them plays on a lesser player and that frees them up to do what they do best - intercept...
I think you're right. We'll settle a defence and there are some forward lines that you'd defintely prefer Billy for a specific role - however, I do think there are some forward lines that you'd prefer Dean. Significantly though, Carlton and Sydney (who are the teams I'd be planning for) are two where I'd want Billy - so it should be Billy, but I won't be surprised if it's not.

The GF debacle should have been the nail in the Frampton as a forward coffin.

If we lose that game, Fly never lives down selecting Frampton at FF and having his opponent get 16 touches and 9 marks.
Most of those came in the last quarter when Frampton was mainly on the bench though

The GF debacle should have been the nail in the Frampton as a forward coffin.

If we lose that game, Fly never lives down selecting Frampton at FF and having his opponent get 16 touches and 9 marks.

What was the alternative up forward?

I am sure Fly would have banked on McStay playing forward.

Compared to what damage Andrews can do, i think the move worked well.

I’ve loved the inspired recruiting of Bill as tall team polyfiller.
I loved his GF effort and he will forever be a premiership hero.

It’s time we look past the B grade cult hero status and concede he needs to be a transitional player that we go past rapidly.

As a forward he is a Hail Mary.
As a ruck, he’s a plan B
And last two games as a defender he’s been a liability.

Thank you, Billy.
But quite a bit of VFL awaits.

Two games in a row he's been a massive liability.

I just don't trust his decision making in defence and for a big guy he doesn't often use his body very well.

Fortunately for him, Dean doesn't look ready yet (and might never be).

I'd be tempted to play an undersized defence with Moore, Howe and Maynard as the talls but at the end of the day Billy will most likely be there so I'm hoping he can improve on the last couple of weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back