Billy Hartung

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were apparently very interested in him in his draft year and linked to him a fair bit and from memory Tony Elshaugh mentored him in his draft year, so it certainly wouldn't surprise if we picked him up. Especially as we need more run, in particular with Montagna having just retired.

More of a reflection of Hawthorn's depth than Billy's talent. Never stood out to be a player to me.
But Alex Morgan on the other hand..

#bigfish

Legitimately if Gaff and Brandon Ellis can make a career out of hard running and link providing I think Hartung can be a serviceable role player.

Hartung a decent user of the pill with great running, dont think his career so far has been any worse than Melksham before his second half of 2017. A good club will back themselves to develop him well, maybe Sydney could give him a shot? If Goody decided to go for Hartung I'd also back him seeing as we actually seem to have competent coaches nowadays.

Am quite surprised at this, I know he has his limitations but there are plenty of good points to his game that sides should back to use to advantage.

Not as though he hasn't played games of substance recently either which to me makes his delisting seem an unnecessarily drastic step by the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought he's good enough to be a list. Why the Hawks delisted him a nagging worry. Dont think outside run is a priority for us, we do seem to have a surplus of list spots in the end to useable draft picks though.
Wouldn't be completely shocked if we picked him up.

View his delisting through the Hawthorn mantra of supporting it's players.

A contract cannot be agreed to - very different ideas on his worth between club, and manager/father.

Accepting that, HFC have two options - formalise the contract offer, Hartung refuses and goes to PSD. Or, rescind the mid-season offer, do not offer a contract and Billy is a DFA.

Either way, HFC get nothing so there is literally no difference to them. In PSD, Billy names his price and may or may not get to the club he wants. As a DFA he can go anywhere, without restriction.

The 'inside' word has stayed pretty consistent throughout about Billy having another offer(s) for longer term and better $$$ elsewhere. You would have presumed an informal agreement has been made between Billy and the other club prior to the delisting announced.

Framed in that context (and trusting the HFC sources) I worry one of two things has happened - Billy and his team misunderstood the underlying demand for his services (unusual given his performance, experience and age combination in comparison with his DFA peers), presuming multiple offers would be forthcoming once a DFA - or the 'other' club is in fact now trying to use their new negotiation advantage to get Hartung through draft/rookie list rather than PSD/DFA which will significantly impact (worsen) his income potential.

I think I posted earlier in here about the comparison with Menegola - who was 'promised' a senior list spot elsewhere and essentially resigned from Hawthorn, only to end up on another rookie list instead.

So as it stand no other AFL club has rolled the dice and offered Billy a contract as yet.
Mullett taken as a blue and Morgan as a roo.
Hmmm interesting times to see if any team will take him or not.

So as it stand no other AFL club has rolled the dice and offered Billy a contract as yet.
Mullett taken as a blue and Morgan as a roo.
Hmmm interesting times to see if any team will take him or not.
There's plenty of time.

Watch for 15 seconds from the 6:55 mark.

Tell me thats a not a glimpse?

He's short stepping to avoid contact and was lucky enough for the ball to bounce into his lap. Another lucky bounce for the goal. That guernsey looks fantatsic though. I'd be happy if it was our full time strip.

He's short stepping to avoid contact and was lucky enough for the ball to bounce into his lap. Another lucky bounce for the goal. That guernsey looks fantatsic though. I'd be happy if it was our full time strip.

You are looking at all the negatives for some reason.

He actually gets the hardball, blind turns the player, burns off 2 other players and keeps the ball low as there was no one between him and the goal and nails it.

What else do you need to see to admit he shows glimpses?

You are looking at all the negatives for some reason.

He actually gets the hardball, blind turns the player, burns off 2 other players and keeps the ball low as there was no one between him and the goal and nails it.

What else do you need to see to admit he shows glimpses?
More glimpses. Let's call that a half glimpse because it wasn't very good. Get me another three half glimpses and then we're up to two glimpses and we can start talking about glimpses in plural.

More glimpses. Let's call that a half glimpse because it wasn't very good. Get me another three half glimpses and then we're up to two glimpses and we can start talking about glimpses in plural.

He is purely an outside player you have to remember.

He definitely has his limitations but it's his attitude that supposedly is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back