Billy Hartung

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was able to be taken as a DFA but went in the draft, that's the point.

There’s probably a straight forward answer but why didn’t the club pick him up as a DFA instead of waiting till the draft where he may have been picked up by another team.

Unlikely to happen, but there’s a chance and that chance is negated being a dfa to go to wherever he pleases

I assume the same thing will happen with Hartung

W
There’s probably a straight forward answer but why didn’t the club pick him up as a DFA instead of waiting till the draft where he may have been picked up by another team.

Unlikely to happen, but there’s a chance and that chance is negated being a dfa to go to wherever he pleases

I assume the same thing will happen with Hartung

I assume team is waiting to see what is availiable and if nothing better then they pick player up. Would be devestating if they were keen on a youngster who slips to their pick but they have no spots on the list availiable

Then pick the experienced player as a rookie instead of the national draft, doesn’t make sense to me at all

*not your response, just how and why it happens

One because there used to be rules against when rookies could be upgraded so no use having a player on the list who they need to play immediatly not able to play.

Also because they may not have had an early pick in the rookie draft and were worried a team wiith an earlier pick would grab them. May have been three teams looking to rookie the player so instead of risking missing out they used a late draft pick and most probably used the rookie spot on a player they were lookig to draft in main draft anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It helped them exploit a loophole in the academy rules.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/draft-loophole-to-remain-despite-some-clubs-concern

Basically the more list spots they had on draft day the more points they could use on academy players. So if they took De Boer as a DFA before the draft they would've had less list spots/points.

It helped them exploit a loophole in the academy rules.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/draft-loophole-to-remain-despite-some-clubs-concern

Basically the more list spots they had on draft day the more points they could use on academy players. So if they took De Boer as a DFA before the draft they would've had less list spots/points.
Pick 58 is worth 170 points. I can see it could mean we have those points available as we can only use points from the numberof draft picks we have. We could also only match one top 10 bid as we finished in the top 4.
I see a trivial advantage.

Pick 58 is worth 170 points. I can see it could mean we have those points available as we can only use points from the numberof draft picks we have. We could also only match one top 10 bid as we finished in the top 4.
I see a trivial advantage.

In the end I don't think it mattered when you took De Boer because you would've had enough points either way. But before the draft you weren't to know where the bids would be placed, and with 7 academy players in the draft (3 taken in the top 20) it made sense to try and save up as many points as possible to prepare for a worst case scenario (Setterfield bid at pick 1).

In the end I don't think it mattered when you took De Boer because you would've had enough points either way. But before the draft you weren't to know where the bids would be placed, and with 7 academy players in the draft (3 taken in the top 20) it made sense to try and save up as many points as possible to prepare for a worst case scenario (Setterfield bid at pick 1).
Fair enough
Given we got our target anyway. Objectively the trading of "pick bunches" useless to the giving club but useful for points to academy clubs was much more of an inequity, which this rule is to prevent. Typically with these things some bumps need to be ironed out.

Has me perplexed this one.

While I don't rate Billy at all. He has shown enough to indicate he deserves a list spot somewhere.
Pretty fair assessment. I did see an article the other day where we were linked because we needed speed which made me seriously pop my eyebrows given Raz, Walla, McKenna, Saad, McGrath etc.

We don’t need him, we’ve got Colyer who’s a slightly better version already.

Has me perplexed this one.

While I don't rate Billy at all. He has shown enough to indicate he deserves a list spot somewhere.
Hmmm.... "Don't rate Billy at all" & "enough to indicate he deserves a list spot"

That comment has me perplexed. If you don't rate him, then just come out and say "send him to the local leagues".

Personally, I feel he should be picked up. His dash off HB and his few years under Clarko at a successful club will come in handy had a club like Goldy or Brissy... perhaps even Saints. He's only 22, give him a full season and a red hot crack on a year contract, if he doesn't come good - send him packing at 24-25yo. No huge loss. Taking a kid in a shallow draft at 75 is the same concept, 2yr contract ends up no good seeya.... but that 18yo at 75 doesn't come with 4 years under clarko & 63 games. Which one carries more risk? I say the 18yo. At least you know what you will get at minimum with Hartung, that's an afl ready player selected 15-22 on the teamsheet on a thursday night.

Saad leaving GC - Who replaces him?
Doch down at Blues - Who replaces him? (Mullett/Byrne likely)
Wilson leaving GWS - Who replaces him? (probably one of the many young kids they've got sitting in NEAFL that were top 30 picks in past)
Smith (inj), Wigg (left) Crows - Wigg would have replaced Smith I felt, so perhaps there's a hole for an experienced IN to keep tilt alive?
The above list is only a few clubs who may see value, and someone has already mentioned Hartung doesn't play the Doch role, correct, but there's a hole for him to slot in, He's 22 and can learn the craft required by players and coaches around him.

FYI - I may have Hartung in a keeper league of mine HAHA. Still, this is a guy who should be picked up by a club in the AFL... there are some damn useless players getting around, and this draft is shallow.. take a punt! I mean doggies gave Trengove a lifeline, Port gave the other trengrove a new home and might even look at Lindsey FFS - There's evidence right there that Billy still has a year or 2 in the AFL! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back