Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that many 200 game ruckmen were playing VFL in their second year.
Normally because they were playing behind AFL level rucks. Grundy can't beat out Witts. Says it all at the moment.

Grundy also has less development potential than other young rucks as he's already advanced physically, normally the tall rucks are beanpoles that need filling out, hence they play reserves till the get the muscle. Grundy isn't going to suddenly improve by putting muscle on, and i don't think he's finding an extra 5 inches of vertical leap he needs to really make a step up.

Reckon Grundy will have a long successful career without ever cracking the top 5 rucks in the league.

Normally because they were playing behind AFL level rucks. Grundy can't beat out Witts. Says it all at the moment.

Grundy also has less development potential than other young rucks as he's already advanced physically, normally the tall rucks are beanpoles that need filling out, hence they play reserves till the get the muscle. Grundy isn't going to suddenly improve by putting muscle on, and i don't think he's finding an extra 5 inches of vertical leap he needs to really make a step up.

Reckon Grundy will have a long successful career without ever cracking the top 5 rucks in the league.

Witts is a few years older and playing well, not really any shame in that. Grundy didn't even start playing footy until 2010, he's still very raw, can see plenty of upside myself.

I would say that many 200 game ruckmen were playing VFL in their second year.
Yeah true.

But old mate said he already had the tap work and footy smarts of a 200 game player. So how many 200 games players are running around in the VFL that aren't Ben Hudson?

Yeah true.

But old mate said he already had the tap work and footy smarts of a 200 game player. So how many 200 games players are running around in the VFL that aren't Ben Hudson?

Yeah Mightypies may have gotten a bit carried away. ;) His tapwork isn't that great yet and he does a lot of dumb things which will hopefully be ironed out of this game. But he's shown enough in patchss to suggest he'll be a good player, predicting how good a ruckman will be in his second year is not easy though.

How many 200 gamers do you see running around at VFL level?

Not sure but there is no young ruck as good as Witts. Not even Grundy compares right now.

FWIW between Gunrdy (18) Toumpas (4) Kennedy (19) and Broomhead (20)

If the draft was re-done it would go like this.

Grundy
Broomhead
Kennedy
Toumpas.

Grundy is tracking really well. :thumbsu:

Not sure but there is no young ruck as good as Witts. Not even Grundy compares right now.

Grundy
Broomhead
Kennedy
Toumpas.

Toumpas is an intriguing selection from that draft. Hardly got a run at it through injury.

From those drafted pre-Grundy, you could've picked Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas, Stringer, Macrae, Wines, Mayes, Vlastuin, Daniher, Menzel, Jaksch, Lonergan, Corr, Garner, Thurlow or Simpson. Wonder why you picked Toumpas?

Toumpas is an intriguing selection from that draft. Hardly got a run at it through injury.

From those drafted pre-Grundy, you could've picked Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas, Stringer, Macrae, Wines, Mayes, Vlastuin, Daniher, Menzel, Jaksch, Lonergan, Corr, Garner, Thurlow or Simpson. Wonder why you picked Toumpas?

Ahem, um ahhh, I just wanted to gauge with a Melbourne supporter where I see Grundy at. ;)

Lycett has been fantastic since we've been giving him full games. Same age as Witts. Offers a fair bit more around the ground, Witts has the advantage of just being one massive man.

Would not trade Lycet for either Witts or Grundy.

Lycett has been fantastic since we've been giving him full games. Same age as Witts. Offers a fair bit more around the ground, Witts has the advantage of just being one massive man.

Happy with our ruck prospects too. Ok, time to grow up guys, Grundy, Witts and Lycett all promising ruck prospects, how they develop remains to an extent a mystery.

My last post on the matter.

Grundy
Broomhead
Kennedy
Toumpas.

Grand :thumbsu: Relevance?

Happy with our ruck prospects too. Ok, time to grow up guys, Grundy, Witts and Lycett all promising ruck prospects, how they develop remains to an extent a mystery.

My last post on the matter.
:D

Grundy has been winning the hit outs vs good ruckmen until he runs out of steam in the second half. By improving his aerobic capacity he has just as much room to improve as anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lycett is much better as a fwd/ruck. I think Witts will be a much better no. 1 ruck.

Grundy
Broomhead
Kennedy
Toumpas.

Toumpas' shitness doesn't make the others any better. The only difference is that we can accept it.

I can't remember a time public opinion changed on a player so brutally so quickly.

Last year Grundy was the next coming of god in nearly everyone's eyes. Not a year later those same people now consider him a plodder with little upside.

Let's get real fellas.

- Grundy's a second year player
- Players do have second year syndrome sometimes. It does happen
- Grundy is a key position player. Key position players normally develop and peak later than smalls
- Grundy started playing AFL much later than most players

I personally think Grundy's the same if not a better player than he was last year. His numbers might be down but a lot of that is due to playing in a dual ruck setup. Last year 5/6 games he was the only ruckman. This year he shared it with Witts nearly every game. Of course when spending a considerable amount of time in a position you're not really good at (forward) your numbers will suffer. Not to mention the TOG% reduction he's had as a result of the dual ruck setup

Grundy mightn't be in the side but that's not because he's worse, or shit, or anything. It's because Witts smashed the door down and earnt that spot.

I'm not a massive Grundy fan; 100% on #teamwitts but seriously, the fella had an incredible debut season for a bloke of his size. Let's not all turn on him and forget what he's shown when he's just turned 20.

I can't remember a time public opinion changed on a player so brutally so quickly.

Last year Grundy was the next coming of god in nearly everyone's eyes. Not a year later those same people now consider him a plodder with little upside.

Let's get real fellas.

- Grundy's a second year player
- Players do have second year syndrome sometimes. It does happen
- Grundy is a key position player. Key position players normally develop and peak later than smalls
- Grundy started playing AFL much later than most players

I personally think Grundy's the same if not a better player than he was last year. His numbers might be down but a lot of that is due to playing in a dual ruck setup. Last year 5/6 games he was the only ruckman. This year he shared it with Witts nearly every game. Of course when spending a considerable amount of time in a position you're not really good at (forward) your numbers will suffer. Not to mention the TOG% reduction he's had as a result of the dual ruck setup

Grundy mightn't be in the side but that's not because he's worse, or shit, or anything. It's because Witts smashed the door down and earnt that spot.

I'm not a massive Grundy fan; 100% on #teamwitts but seriously, the fella had an incredible debut season for a bloke of his size. Let's not all turn on him and forget what he's shown when he's just turned 20.
But Chad Wingard is a spud whose AA was one of the "weakest in recent years". Didn't you know that not playing well for a month or two makes you a massive spud on bigfooty?

If anyone watched the VFL game today on ABC, they would have witnessed one of the most dominant displays by a young ruckmen up against mind you, Essendon's mature ruck in Bellchambers.

Grundy smashed Bellchambers, absolutely smashed him.

Oh, and having watched the Essendon v Tigers game and and see Joe Daniher have a shocker, then see Grundy tare Bellchambers a new arseh*le, I've got to say, I'd much rather Grundy over Daniher right now, even though I do think Daniher will be good.

Both are developing young players and there's not much between them.

But It's pretty funny seeing Collingwood fans brag about Grundy and Witts. You'd hope they're developing ok since currently the pies have the worst ruck division in the comp. It's also unlikely that they'll become better than good rucks similar to what most clubs already have. Oh and then whichever one doesn't get games is likely to leave in a few years giving a good ruck to another team. If my team was taking a massive infield hit to develop young rucks when they can't both play effectively in the same team I'm not sure i'd be bragging about it.

If anyone watched the VFL game today on ABC, they would have witnessed one of the most dominant displays by a young ruckmen up against mind you, Essendon's mature ruck in Bellchambers.

Grundy smashed Bellchambers, absolutely smashed him.

Oh, and having watched the Essendon v Tigers game and and see Joe Daniher have a shocker, then see Grundy tare Bellchambers a new arseh*le, I've got to say, I'd much rather Grundy over Daniher right now, even though I do think Daniher will be good.
Lol who cares, our rookie listed American ruckman that had never touched a football before this year beat Bellchambers.

Longer and Minson had a great battle in the ruck today in the AFL.

Grundy for me.

Obviously only early days, but Longer reminds me alot of a shorter Robert Warnock, good tap ruckman, but provides just about nothing around the ground and his marking is almost none existent.

Grundy for me.

Obviously only early days, but Longer reminds me alot of a shorter Robert Warnock, good tap ruckman, but provides just about nothing around the ground and his marking is almost none existent.
Yeah, the 7 Contested Marks that Longer have over 21 career games is nothing compared to the massive 9 Grundy have over 19 games. Grundy offers so much more.

You know before you make claims like that you should at least look at some stats.

Yeah, the 7 Contested Marks that Longer have over 21 career games is nothing compared to the massive 9 Grundy have over 19 games. Grundy offers so much more.

You know before you make claims like that you should at least look at some stats.
I dont recall saying Grundy offers so much more? Please guide me to where i said that?

I wasnt looking at just contested marking, i was looking at Marking in general and finding the football around the ground, Longer averages something like 7 point something disposals and 1 mark a game over 2014.

I dont remember a ruckman being a dominate contested mark in there first 2-3 seasons anyway, which is why i clearly stated 'obviously only early days', meaning i acknowledged that Longer is only early his development and could become a Lobbe type of ruckman just as much as a Warnock type(a player in which i said reminded me of Longer).

I had no reason to look up the stats as i wasnt comparing Longer to Grundy at all, i was describing the type of player Longer reminded me of.

You know you really should have already known that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back