Black Diamond AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a look at the Black Diamond clearance list City seems to have a few boys from down south on there list. Interesting to see how this Henry Whiting goes, says he is from the VAFA from Old Xaverians.

Who is Ryan Barrett ?? Says he is transfering to East Freo in the WAFL is he any good?? And is he a CC junior ?

Another play Aaron Monk seems to be East Freo bound very interesting as well.

It was also be interesting to see how the Sharks list pans out. As WAFL rules only allows 4 interstate players per team on each senior list.

Ryan Barrett started with Gosford in 2005 from a soccer background. Represented Northern Heat 18s in 2006 and BDAFL 18s in 2006. Played about 15 senior games at Gosford, tall mobile back flanker/wingman with penetrating left foot kick. Missed most of last season with complications from a broken scaphoid.
Aaron Monk would have to be a big chance of playing senior WAFL footy this year at some stage. Great size and fitness base, good footy brain and fantastic skill, can play anywhere on the field. Played 10 games in Swans reserves last yr, including the premiership. The style of play in W.A. will suit him right down to the ground. Was talking to him last Friday and he said he went ok in an intraclub match, so for him to say he went ok he would have played unreal. The coach of East Freo is Brownlow Medallist Shane Woewodin.
I know Gosford havent picked up 15 players without the Woy Woy boys. Went to watch their trial on Saturday and there were about 7 or 8 new faces with 4 apparently from Woy Woy. Gosford knocked Penrith off by about 3 goals and put together some good passages of play, especially as they were missing prob 4 of their better players.

Very disappointing to see another club gone from the BDAFL in Singleton. Why are clubs falling by the wayside? In 8 years we have seen a number of clubs lost from the competition and a few more struggling to stay on their feet. Maybe the BDAFL should spend some time addressing these issues instead of tripe like Hall of Fames and netball!
Interesting to see Monk has gone to the WAFL. Very talented player. Makes you wonder where a few of the other good young players in this competition could go if they wanted to try and break into a state league.

Very disappointing to see another club gone from the BDAFL in Singleton. Why are clubs falling by the wayside? In 8 years we have seen a number of clubs lost from the competition and a few more struggling to stay on their feet. Maybe the BDAFL should spend some time addressing these issues instead of tripe like Hall of Fames and netball!
Interesting to see Monk has gone to the WAFL. Very talented player. Makes you wonder where a few of the other good young players in this competition could go if they wanted to try and break into a state league.

WHY??? Rightly or wrongly the BDAFL's expectations on football clubs is that they are run like a business...with considerable administrative requirements. Unfortunately the area does not have an AFL football background and one of the biggest problems is volunteer burnout and/or volunteer turnover. So few are expected to do so much. Juniors are not much better with the GSJ running the show now...
by the time people get to seniors they just about had enough.

It is a worry for now and for the future

I know Gosford havent picked up 15 players without the Woy Woy boys. Went to watch their trial on Saturday and there were about 7 or 8 new faces with 4 apparently from Woy Woy. Gosford knocked Penrith off by about 3 goals and put together some good passages of play, especially as they were missing prob 4 of their better players.[/quote]

How do you know so much about Gosford Deizty?? Do you play for them?? The information i received was that they had at least a dozen minimum non woy woy players. Not all may have played the other weekend. Do you know who might have been missing from the game against Penrith and would these players have made much difference to the result??

Rightly or wrongly they want to get rid of blokes who just want a kick and a beer without a 4 hour round trip for a game, and become an elite (in country NSW terms) league.

Since I played in Newcastle we have lost Wests, Wallsend, Coalfields, Maitland, Singleton and RAAF/Williamtown

Since I played on the CC we have lost Woy Woy/Peninsula, Bateau Bay and North Central Coast

I know some of these still run some junior teams, but its still a great shame

I disgusted with BDAFL atm. They have handed all the club to sell raffle tickets but if they don't sell them all they be fined for not selling them. why doesn't the BDAFL try to something beneficial for the clubs instead of doing stuff that is just to purely benefit them. :mad:

I think most people on this forum know who I am Sherin. I had spent 12 years at the club until this yr, and have 2 brothers who still play there, as well as a number of very good mates who I hear plenty of news off regarding the club. Just looking at their player Calcutta list there is 18 new players including Woy Woy, from what ive been told a lot are new to the game, but there are probably 5 or 6 regular senior players from last season gone.
Sherin is what is your story? I notice the only 3 posts you have written are about Gosford. I would hate to think that you are actually involved there and trying to talk the side up, as we all know where that got the club last season when there was plenty of hype from within!
Probably the 4 blokes who werent there on Saturday were Steve Church who is an absloute gun footballer, Sammy Stockwell who was an important player in the side last yr, Travis Walls the ruckman and Scott Stokes who plays key positions

no need to pump up churchys tyres johnny haha, few little suprises at gosford training this week, as the season gets closer all the boys start thinkin games so numbers have been right up there. couple of boys from past years an also looks like churchys got a new mate from ovens an murray club lavington who may step up, cant wait to hit the field this year and see where we are at

Just the other thing that I think is totally wrong now. Lake Macquarie were all set to play their 1st game on their home ground in the twilight game rd 1, but now they have the bye. Seems a stupid situation, but probably not as stupid as the one that has presented itself in the 2s and 18s competitions. I havent checked the draw out, but from what ive heard the Cardiff lower grades dont get a game for about 4 weeks in May, I know the dogs will probably only get 4 games in the 1st 8 rounds, not sure where other clubs stand but wouldnt it make sense now to redo the draw in both grades, change 1st grade back to a 18 round comp with everyone playing twice with 2 byes and shuffle the 2s and 18s around as close as possible to that???

Hey Hey Deitzy cool down am not here to ruffle feathers. I am only new on here having only just found this website. I spent about an hour or so reading all the posts from the start to now, you name seemed to keep coming up and you knew about Gosford. I followed them many years ago when some friends played, but i think they finished playing a long long time ago and was just interested to see how the club was going if it still exisited. I keep in touch with some friends but their info seems like it is all wrong seeing you have 2 brothers playing there still. Does this mean your the older brother and if so are you still playing, retired, or injured???
Do you also know where i can keep up with the scores and reports for the season?? Are they located anywhere on this site or can i read about them in print anywhere?? As for talking them up if thats the best i can do then they are doomed, dont have enough info to talk anyone up and it seems like the info i received was wrong.

Cheers

Hey Sherin,

You can keep up with all the scores etc on the BDAFL website.
www.bdafl.com.au

They are usually posted on Saturday night, sometimes late, but they are certainly on their by Sunday morning.

Thanks madmonk. Just been and had a look at the site u sent me too. Looks like a good site. So do you know when the season starts, is it still the same as on the website with all the changes that seem to be going on with lost clubs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks madmonk. Just been and had a look at the site u sent me too. Looks like a good site. So do you know when the season starts, is it still the same as on the website with all the changes that seem to be going on with lost clubs?

The Black Diamond are having their season launch in 2 weeks Saturday 29/03 at Tulkaba Oval, Teralba (Lake Macquarie's hm ground). They started this last year and it proved very successful. This day will be Rd 1 of the competition for 1st grade only (All Res & 18s start the next w.end).

The draw for Rd 1 is as per the teams finished the previous season ie 1 V 2, 3 V 4 etc. The shame of this year as Woy Woy are no longer,the Lake Macquarie club is back in 1st grade and therefore will have a bye. The day will be run in reverse order therefore 1 v 2 will be the last match of the day. It will be interesting to see how many youngest City use in Rd 1 or in fact throughout the season. As a whole they would certainly have more outstanding youngsters than any one else. I suppose they're the benefits of only losing 1 match in the last two years in the U 16s competition. At least half of NC 18s premiersship squad was made up of 16s.

You seem to know a fair bit too madmonk. Who do you think will go ok and who will not. Any suprises that you see? Are you any relation to that player they spoke about that has gone West a few posts back Aaron Monk or are you him?

With the loss of singleton and woy woy i was wondering who is responsible for the growth and development in the region , surely the AFL must have some plan to connect non bdafl juniors through to senior footy along with the excellent nth heat initiative.
I checked the BDAFL Strategy on there website http://www.sportingpulse.com/pics/15/31/153125_firstfileFILE.pdf
and apart from being for 2005-2007 they would be very dissapointed with their achievments in relation of encouraging participation

Whos driving this regions development, surely its not the BDAFL responsibility- does the AFL have a plan to develop senior footy in this region?

There was a Academy idea floated last year to supplement the Heat initiative, probably designed to also catch a few of the kids not selected or doing other sports other than Heat. Alas the powers again vetoed the idea, Why???

The basis of the academy was to work with those a little more gifted to ensure they get through to the senior ranks and strengthen clubs.

You seem to know a fair bit too madmonk. Who do you think will go ok and who will not. Any suprises that you see? Are you any relation to that player they spoke about that has gone West a few posts back Aaron Monk or are you him?

I am no relation too and/or am not in fact him!

!!!News Flash!!!

GOSFORD AFC AND HILTON HOTELS ANNOUNCE NEW SPONSERSHIP DEAL

Gosford Australian Football Club and the Hilton Hotel chain have announced today a new partnership that will see the club have access to the Hilton worldwide network of quality hotels for all of its post-season footy trips. It is believed that the deal only includes holiday stays during the month of August. A spokesman for the football club said "We are extremley happy to join forces with the Hilton hotel chain. After many years of keeping our diaries free for September, we felt it was about time to finally bite the bullet and make all our future footy trips for mid to late August. The deal with Hilton Hotels allows us to make these early arrangements up to 3 years in advance."​

A spokesman for Hilton said "We are happy to be providing our support and services to the Gosford Australian Football Club. They are good club with great people." When quizzed on the potential for possible vandalism of hotel rooms and anti-social behaviour of end of season "footy trips" the spokesman from Hilton was quick to assure "These things generally when clubs have something to celebrate, be it premierships, finals appearences or generally a good season on the track. With Gosford we have no doubt none of these will occur"​

Re: !!!News Flash!!!

GOSFORD AFC AND HILTON HOTELS ANNOUNCE NEW SPONSERSHIP DEAL

Gosford Australian Football Club and the Hilton Hotel chain have announced today a new partnership that will see the club have access to the Hilton worldwide network of quality hotels for all of its post-season footy trips. It is believed that the deal only includes holiday stays during the month of August. A spokesman for the football club said "We are extremley happy to join forces with the Hilton hotel chain. After many years of keeping our diaries free for September, we felt it was about time to finally bite the bullet and make all our future footy trips for mid to late August. The deal with Hilton Hotels allows us to make these early arrangements up to 3 years in advance."​

A spokesman for Hilton said "We are happy to be providing our support and services to the Gosford Australian Football Club. They are good club with great people." When quizzed on the potential for possible vandalism of hotel rooms and anti-social behaviour of end of season "footy trips" the spokesman from Hilton was quick to assure "These things generally when clubs have something to celebrate, be it premierships, finals appearences or generally a good season on the track. With Gosford we have no doubt none of these will occur"​

Interesting News Reel. Can you confirm this as you have just become a member and know all this info so you must be connected the Gosford club somehow. Sounds to good to be true?? Hey Diezty or Mad Monk can you shed some light on this if its the case.

Can anyone tell me where Hawkins Oval is. I heard soem rumblings that no one uses it much anymore from an AFL point of view so the code may loose it to another code?

Any results or reports on games at the weekend?

!!!news Flash!!!

NSW/ACT AFL Look to the Future After Woy Woy’s Departure From BDAFL

The NSW/ACT AFL is at crisis point this week after the board of the BDAFL decided to revoke the license of the Woy Woy Swans. The ramifications of which may deal a huge blow to the game not just on the Central Coast, but Australia wide. Speaking at a press conference last night, AFL chairman Andrew Demetriou had this to say: “Obviously it is disappointing for the players and staff of the Woy Woy Swans, and to the game in general on the Central Coast. We had identified Woy Woy as a key Bogan market that we were hoping to tap into in the lead up to establishing a second team in NSW from 2012. We now fear that with the loss of Woy Woy, we are going to lose a lot of young talent from the bogan and redneck communities.”

It is unclear just how much the loss of Woy Woy will affect the chances and viability of a second NSW AFL team by 2012. However Demetriou was quick to point out they were still going full steam ahead with the plans and that other options were available to the rednecks and bogan’s in the area to continue playing the game. “We now see Wyong and Lake Macquarie as key battle zones in the devolpment of bogans, rednecks and hicks to the game of AFL.”

“It’s terrible ya know. The Black Diamond don’t give a stuff bout us an our kids. My son Jaiden is 12 and I wanna see him excel in this sport and give him the best chance. How can he do that when the junior development is taken away from him?” Charleen-Reighlee Hunter, 24 of Woy Woy said.

Hunter Academy of Sport – discussions have been held with the Academy regarding AFL involvement. I believe that they were and are still keen to have AFL involved. Whilst the AFL has the northern Heat squads from what is picked the AFL Academy players, there is nothing at the moment for those players that don’t quite make it other than Hunter Sports High. The latter has what I believe is a good but developing AFL program within the School. This is okay but what if you choose not to send your son there? Unfortunately there is at present no program to capture the remaining talented/ potentially gifted players. Personally I can see a gap developing between those not good enough to make the Academy sides or attend HSH for specialized training. The original thoughts behind a program at H A of S was to compliment rather than compete with existing AFL programs. The idea was to capture those players who don’t quite make it in the AFL elite program or those second tier players with thought to at least develop then into good or very good senior players within the BDAFL. Initial discussion even considered 18 and 19 year olds in a potential program.
As swan 12 said: The basis of the academy was to work with those a little more gifted to ensure they get through to the senior ranks and strengthen clubs.
I doubt if the AFL would see it this way and whilst the H A of S have said initially that they have the resources to start a program (not necessarily the personnel with an AFL background) eventually funding will have to come from somewhere. However what they do have is links to substantial coaching recourses from other codes
Web site: http://www.hunteracademy.org.au/
Western Sydney Academy of Sport appears to run an AFL program in association with the AFL!
http://www.wsas.com.au/main.php?do=clientsitecontent&action=home&pageid=program_afl
But then again I assume that the AFL are throwing a substantial amount of money towards Western Sydney… aren’t they?

Hawkins Oval is on Maitland Road in the suburb of Islington which one of the older suburbs of Newcastle. Western Suburbs used to play their (another defunct BDAFL team), Umpire used to train there, now Rugby plays there! Unfortunately the ground is basically lost to AFL which is “really really” disappointing. The ground is not far from No 1 Sports ground, the home of Newcastle City AFC. Their juniors were encouraged to play home games at Hawkins so that AFL could be seen to be using the ground. But alas they decided to stay at No. 1 - which has far better facilities and a superior playing surfaces --- but No 1 is expensive to hire and every time it looks like rain you can’t use the ground – training included. "No1 has a lot of constraints on it." Hawkins would have in my opinion “could have” been developed into an excellent venue for AFL. A venue that could have been used by all in the AFL commiunity---- Too late now………Look at what has happened at Naranderra.

AFL focus – The AFL development team have a limited budget and their focus is primarily on participation. In previous year this has the number of Auskick packs sold! The development team is now partly focused on school Competition in cludeing High Schools. In 2007 the open age competition called the Swans Cup was very successful. In 2008 I believe that there will be substantially more schools involved. Other than U18 Northern Heat I do not believe that AFL development has a plan to develop senior footy in this region. Although the new Regional Manager has an interest in Senior footy and liaises closely with the BDAFL

Newsreel, definitely the best stuff ive read on this forum. You dont have anything to do with the Cardiff website do you, because some of the stuff on there is gold as well!
Being a member of the AFL Development team, our focus is primarily on primary schools and the Auskick program. We have been doing some stuff in high schools, which will increase next term with the Swans cup and other competitions, but the focus on senior footy is very minimal.
Im sure 99% of senior footy leagues in Australia have no input/funding from the AFL, and it is seen as the job of the senior league and the clubs to promote, and develop the BDAFL. I remember several years ago, long before the current points system for rewarding and fining clubs was put in place, there was a suggestion that monies received from fines (which was quite substantial back in 2002-04) went to the promotion and development of the Under 18s competition. I guess that was a stupid idea, and the money from the fines may have infact been invested in a feasibility study into a BDAFL sanctioned netball competiton.
The regional manager does have a very keen interest in local footy, while the Central Coast manager could very well be lining up for a local club this year as well, so they have a pretty good idea of where the BDAFL is at.
The problem as I see it is the retention of kids from 15 yrs into senior footy. How do we keep these kids involved? Im sure everyone has seen gun players at their club lose interest and give up the ghost, be it cars, women, beach, work, outside activities etc. Usually the guys lost are the ones not quite good enough to get to the next level, but would be fantastic BDAFL players. Maybe a suggestion to get the ball rolling is each club has to play 5 players under 20 in their senior side every week? This is probably the case in most clubs anyway I guess, but maybe its a way to show young guys that there is an opportunity to play with the men and feel welcome at a senior club? Any other suggestions out there????

Gee if its upto the BDAFL to promote senior footy its a worry, that strategic plan is full of objectives, strategies and deliverables but void of any responsibility, implementation and accountability- maybe building relationships with non bdafl junior clubs and local schools would be more fruitful than netball, im hoping my ladies netball team doesnt start a footy side to attract familys to the sport, they would probably poach our umpires!!!
Good to hear there is some positive work going on , thanks for the info Dietzy & bdk
Anyway Good luck for the season and my tips
Blues in a scrappy affair by 17 pts
Cardiff come out guns blazing 45 points
Terrigal by 3 points over Gosford (who will spend fri nite in the Hilton- Speers Point)
Nelson Bay to outlast Wyong by 14 pts
Theres some ammo for KV, Warners, the Tiges and Wyong!!!!!

And in The Nertball-
who cares!!!!!

Intersting to see the flood of clearances on the site, some hectic emailing and phoning this week no doubt.

Always hard to guage players from clearances, but Cardiffs recruit from North Hobart and Gosfords O & M, should be handy.

My spies tell me Warners Bay have worked hard and look pretty good, but Cardiff with Ryan back will always be tough to crack.

City v Killarneyvale, hard to guage as both have lost some and picked up some, Kemp the key question, retired (lets see)

Gosford v Terrigal, its time for the tigers to stand up if this is their year. They have recruited a few and would want to deliver.

Nelson Bay Wyong, well both under achieved in 07, so it will be interesting. Nelson Bay should be a hell of alot more competitive than last year and Wyong fitter I believe.

All in all writing this it is clear that the BDAFL is an unknown quantity in 08.

One thing I am looking forward to in 08 is the influx of the younger kids into various sides, more this year than ever. Most clubs have a few and it will be great to see them popping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back