Black Diamond AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosford v Cardiff Cardiff by 10 goals (stung after loss)
City v Terrigal City by 6 goals (rolling along nicely)
Killarney Vale v Warners Bay Killarney Vale by 2 goals (could go either way, This will decide whether they are the real deal)
Wyong v Nelson Bay Wyong by 5 goals (closer margin last week for Wyong, shocker for Nelson Bay)

These results may be a little closer due to the wet.

Cardiff
Killarney Vale
City
Wyong

All winners

Where are the posters gone. Seem to be following the way of their affiliated clubs. Lets keep the forum alive guys.

This weeks games

Nelson Bay V CARDIFF
Terrigal v GOSFORD
NEWCASTLE CITY v Warners Bay
Wyong v KILLARNEY VALE.

Seasons are almost on the line for Terrigal, Gosford and Warners Bay. Which ever one of these emerges out of the pack over the next month will probably taste September action, the others will taste a few coldies watching.

All three have been struggling of late.

At this stage its a race in 3 based upon the results.

Killarney Vale have answered every challenge to date and like City, must be regarded as a real threat to the Hawks supremacy.

Where are the posters gone. Seem to be following the way of their affiliated clubs. Lets keep the forum alive guys.

This weeks games

Nelson Bay V CARDIFF
Terrigal v GOSFORD
NEWCASTLE CITY v Warners Bay
Wyong v KILLARNEY VALE.

Seasons are almost on the line for Terrigal, Gosford and Warners Bay. Which ever one of these emerges out of the pack over the next month will probably taste September action, the others will taste a few coldies watching.

All three have been struggling of late.

At this stage its a race in 3 based upon the results.

Killarney Vale have answered every challenge to date and like City, must be regarded as a real threat to the Hawks supremacy.

After the weekend, I would say it is definitely a race in 3

City flogged Warners Bay
Cardiff def Nelson Bay and Killarney Vale def Wyong comfortably

Close between Terrigal and Gosford, with Terrigal getting the points.

wats everyones thoughts on the interleague side, who are the shoeins who will be unlucky will we win
Who are the shoeins ??? who are the selectors??? and am l experiencing DEJA VU or what? Did this side change form 2006 who saw what games because they certainly weren't at the games l saw. How does Snelling get the guernsey as League ruckman l slipped into watch them against Wyong on Saturday and that big bloke from the Magpies gave him such a towelling in a side that was beaten by 10. Also how does Koop Folkes their Vice captain miss out in my opinion (and Ricky Quades) he moves so well and he is in my best 3 for the league.
Does anyone know who the selections are l bet looking at the lineup up they have big connections with Gosford and Killarney.
Cheers

you sound like someone who thinks he been hard done by, Gosford had 3 selected in the side, may also have been stiff not to have another, the 3 are top quality players who can bring alot to the interleague side, maybe u should get to some more games mate

And to back you up sideliner, there is no Gosford official associated with the selections in this representative squad. Amazing what some people automatically assume.
For the guys that were selected (which I offer my congratulations)-:
Tadd Walford was last years best and fairest for the club. Finished in the top 10 in the league best and fairest last year, and is playing very good footy right now (was best on ground against Terrigal on the weekend).
Aaron Monk is a rock solid, utility player who is more than capable at competing at the upper eschalon of the competition. Regularly dominates whatever position he is put in, and played well in last years exciting rep final win.
Tim Eather is a dominant forward, kicking 50+ goals in a team that did not make the fianls last season. He has great hands, accurate kick and would be an asset to a rep team if making the cut.
Other players unfortunate not to make the squad would be, Brad Dietz (consistent ball magnet with great skills) and Steven Church (dynamic on baller who suffered fascial injury in round 3 is due to comeback this week).
Maybe individuals should stop looking for people to blame for non selections, and be proud of the players that were.
Go Tiges!!:cool:

Very interesting to see how the season is panning out so far as well as the players picked in the rep squad. Killarney Vale and City have already got their finals spot sewn up and I cant wait to see the clash between those two sides, Cardiff are there or there abouts and their experience come finals time will hold them in good stead. Although they are missing Ryan and Krake, McMahon has played the odd game and will be a key for them 2nd half of the year. 4th spot seems the interesting battle. Warners Bay have the front running and the past form, but they havent been overly impressive in recent weeks. Gosford have been the big disappointment after their big finish to the year in 2006 with only wins over Wyong and Nelson Bay. I know they have had a struggle to get their best side on the paddock but it will be hard to make an impact from 2-5. Terrigal are a big chance if they can gain some momentum and will in all likelyhood leapfrog Gosford. Have some key players coming into form and remember they did win 11 in a row last year after everybody wrote them off. Wyong have been having a real crack and from results they must have pushed Gosford close, only goalkicking seperating the sides. The big fella looks a handy player but in this league he really should be dominating, especially with no real star defenders in the comp outside Rawnsley and old man river Grimmond. Nelson Bay appear a bit of a basket case with no first division side a few times and no 18s. Lets hope they can field a team for the rest of the year.
To the rep side now. Obviously it will be well represented by Cardiff and City and Mayday, Killarney are unbeaten, how can you deny them 6 players in the train on squad??? Page is on fire, Ireland is one of the best 5 players in the comp from what ive seen, White will be a good palyer in a reps side, Smith is one of the young guns of the comp and was in the train on squad last year, Triegaart has been in ther best every week and Snelling has been good from what ive seen in a league where there arent many dominant ruckmen anymore. There are definitely a few blokes out there who could feel hard done by. These include Scott Bartlem from Warners Bay who was in the side last year and been brushed for no apparent reason this year, Brad Deitz who is Gosfords best and most dangerous player, Tim Cotter from City who has been there in the past and is one of Citys best and Cardiffs new bloke Sheldon, he really looks a player.
As for C. Koop-Folkes, he might move well but who in that squad is he a better player than?
Still we will wipe the floor with North Coast anyway so they could pick just about anyone in the comp with the regulars and it wouldnt really matter

Saw on the BDAFL website, they are concerned about lack of support for the Under 18's first rep training.

Maybe I am not looking in the right place, but they haven't seemed to even put the squad on the website themselves.

Obviously the clubs must have been notified, but lets hope they at least post the squad at some stage.

Well well gentleman and l use that term loosely obviously l got a few hackles up with my OPINIONS! I do remember reading earlier some one saying " Keep this forum alive!" Well obviously we are alive and ranting.
Dear Sideliner & Blueblood7 l wasn't asking for a laboured blow by blow description of your allegance to your club or to your club players. That parochial attitude is so short sighted . What l and many club officials and players are asking is Who is doing the selecting ?and What is the criteria for selection?. Why does it appear that the side changes little from year to year with the same high profile players getting a guernsey when young & new footballers are being overlooked. I believe that to ask these questions is to raise the bar and isn't that what we are hoping for. I thought that interleague was all about flying the flag and "blooding" young players in a competition that is superior to what they have experienced in the hope of strenthening the league and flying the flag for AFL in NSW. Maybe l am wrong yes there are certainly players who deserve annual selection but you must admit that there are players who's names appear each year and this year on form should be omitted.
" Gentleman" as you tried to intimate Assumption is the mother of all "F....ups. Why would you assume that l sound like "a player that has been hard done by" why would you asume that l am a player at all?. I can tell you that you are wrong on so many counts.
As for blaming individuals did l name any individuals. What l am asking is that we give an honest appraisal of why players are selected in interleague sides.
Mr Weaglesman l must disagree about your comments '"in a league were there aren't many dominant ruckman" l must reiterate my comments about Moloney from Wyong who against Killarney Vale rucked against 2 Killarney players all day without a rest off the ball. According to the Killarney Vale stats man he also took 13 marks at 7 foot l would call that dominating. To your comments about "especially when we have no backmen then who are these "stars" you all keep talking about are we going to the interleague without a backline?
As Coops Folkes l would replace him with any of the "on ballers" in the Interleague side. He has both sides of his body and in one game I watched he had 36 possessions whilst being changed from ruck rover to centre half forward to full back in a side that got beaten by 24 goals! I do however agree with you about Sheldon l saw him a fews week ago and he was very unwell after the game; from leather posioning. Again why is he not in the side?. He is a class above anyone l have seen this year! Recruited from Vic ( the home of the game) See Sideliner l do get to a few games MATE!
Now gentlemen if you want your forum to be a toothless "pat on the back "old boys" club. I will refrain from asking the tough questions in the hope of raising the standard of this league and to give myself some entertainment and just give my little previews and tips every week. As for "and be proud of the players that were selected " and "go tiges" pleaseeeeeeeeeeees save me!

Interesting comments fellas...good stuff!!

I have been to a few games this year also and am not all that concerned with those that were left out.

I think Scott Bartlem is a quality player, as is Ben Hunter (WB) and Adam Cambourn (KV).

I agree with the comment that we should be blooding new players into the fold and as good a player a the "spoonman" is, its good to see his reputation put aside (i know he hasnt played many games) for young backman to come through.

In relation to Tim Snelling, the games i have watched him play he has been excellent and gives so much around the gound in terms of mongrel and hard ball gets. I personally feel that for that reason along he gives the rep side more than what Maloney would. My personal opinion on maloney is that he will win the rucks all day (or until he gets tired) but really doesnt dominate around the ground as much as he should for a guy his size.

Regardless, the side is picked and it will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Interesting i have heard on the grapevine that the BDAFL might be playing the RFL (Riverina) next year in Newcastle for the rep fixture. Obviously we beat them last year in wehat was the best come from behind victory i have ever witnessed, but i think they will put together a very strong side if they were to travel up here next year. They aslo now have the Wagga Tigers to choose players from.

Well round 8 should be great, Cardif V Killarney Vale should be an absolute cracker...can Cardiff knock KV off??? I think they will and do it somewhat comfortably, by 5-6 goals.

Cheerio!

I think the call to keep the forum alive was warranted seeing the only person who posted from May 11 to the 21st was myself.

As for what is posted, go your hardest boys great to see some opinions.

There is always controversy around rep sides, the selection of sides is always an issue.

As stated they didn't declare who was in the 18's side let alone who is coaching and selecting squads.

Maybe transparency stops people like us kicking their asses over who is in and who is out.

On the rep side, I think its a pretty good squad chosen, obviously a few blokes unlucky but that is the case every year, good to see Stoney from Nelson Bay get a crack at it this year but, he is by far their best player and in a good side would definitely get more recognition.
3 sides have definitely booked themselves a finals birth, City who are the best side we have played this year. If it stays dry they are going to be tough to knock off with their height around the ground. Killarney are also proving themselves to be a real title threat even without Bubbles. They have a lot of guys stepping up this year and are obviously thriving under Cuts and Patty Schell.
Cardiff werent overly impressive when we played them (probably had something to do with the fact they had heaps backing up), but they cannot be discounted, especially around the end of the season. They have picked up an absolute gun player in Sheldon and Kocon and McIntyre are definitely underrated down back for them.
4th spot looms as an interesting battle between Warners Bay, Gosford and Terrigal. Warners are a good side and i thought theyd be right up there this year. Obviously they arent getting their best side on the paddock every week so that must be taking a toll. This week looms as a crucial game for us as we have them at home. If we dont get over the line its season over, while a win keeps us in contention for the 4th position. We have been in positions to win games all bar 2 weeks and to slip away at the end is causing massive frustration for all at the club! Having players out hurts but there are no excuses as we have enough players capable of doing jobs in seniors and playing 3 quarters doesnt win you games of footy. Terrigal were alright against us but they still didnt display too much that makes me think they will get over Warners. They rely on the same old same old a bit too much and while Maurie gets all the headlines for them, the two blokes who are their gun players are Grentell and Grimmond who is a dead set freak.
Wyong were good against us and have improved out of sight from last year. The big fella is definitely a handy acquisition and would have taken 15 marks against us. I would have had C. Koop-Folkes in the rep side ahead of J. Koop-Folkes because he can play forward and back as well as on a wing at rep level, but Wyong do have a few good young kids coming thru as well so im sure they will be on pace in a couple of years.
Nelson Bay definitely having big problems up there. Struggling to field ressies a number of times and not looking like it this year. Teddy is definitely a man for a challenge but and the young blokes starting out in senior footy will be learning plenty off him. There has to be big doubts on their future unfortunately so it will be interesting to see how the remainder of the year goes for the Bay.
Just in good news for the regions young guns Craig Lowe from Terrigal has been picked in the State Under 16s side and scholarshipped to St Kilda, hes very raw and in his 1st year of footy but has great athletic ability and is a top kid to boot, while Josh Nesbitt from City has also made the state 16s final 25. Josh is a great kid whose attitude to footy and improving his game is awesome and thoroughly deserves his spot. Other boys to make the final 40 in the 16s squad were Zach Manley from Wyong who is a real hard at it in and under type, Ben Jones from Gosford who is all class and Shane Adams from Lake Macquarie who is a tall capable of playing all key positions. All the boys are top kids and the week with them in the Northern Heat was the best week i have ever been involved with in footy. Full credit to them and they will definitely be players to watch in future years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Saturday I went and watched the Gosford and Warners Bay match. The Bulldogs started well despite their well documented injury problems and led all the way. They were well led by their captain Newburn who kicked 3 goals from the backline and drove his players all day, Brennan and Buckley who dominated the centre of the ground while they had numerous other winners around the ground. Gosford were best served by Church who was probably the best player on the ground in my opinion and Eather up forward who had plenty of chances but only kicked 4 goals as a result of the Tigers indirect style of play and having to take many shots from difficult angles. It was only the 2nd time I have seen the Tigers this year and they looked a bit lost and lacking direction. They had plenty of opportunity but kept going wide and their skills were poor which resulted in at least 4 goals from bad skill errors to Warners Bay who were much cleaner with the ball.
I left wondering what Church did or said to the umpires on the day as he was constantly belted around the head and did not receive any protection at all from one fella out there (as happened on numerous occasions for both sides) but Church seemed to cop the worst of it and even got penalised holding the ball despite being pushed in the back, taken high and clearly having no opportunity to get rid of the ball.
I am not involved at any club in the black diamond but I have watched a lot of footy over 40 years and it was the most interesting umpiring display i can remember, but I must stress it did not influence the result and Warners Bay showed that they can be a force in this competition if they get their best side on the paddock.
Best wishes as well to the two young fellas from Gosford and #38 Warners Bay who knocked themselves out when attempting a mark. Especially the young lad from Gosford #16 who was taken away in an ambulance. It didnt look good from where I was sitting but hopefully both boys are back on the park soon as both boys only had eyes for the ball and were tremendously courageous in their attack at it.

just wondering what everyone thought of the weekends games?Looking at it from the past couple of weeks it looks like Newcastle City and Cardiff are the teams to beat again with killarney vale a chance if they get a full side on the paddick and play 4 quarters of football.I watched them play terrigal on the weekend and they were lucky to get away with a win as they only played well for 2 quarters,in saying that the 2 quarters they played well they were outstanding and had some great passages of play.

Gee, a bit quiet here!

Has everyone dried out yet after the flood??

Hope all and sundry are safe & well. Have seen some wild pictures!

Hopefully we get some footy this weekend!
City v KV match of the year! (So far ha ha) is going to be played at Ferodale oval Medowie, apparently a good ground. It's never had senior football played on it, hopefully it's big enough.
Also City v Singleton in the two's and 18's next round looks like it'e going to be played at Muswellbrook! Good luck to them!
It's like the start of a new season again, let's hope it will finish undisrupted for the rest of the season.

Sounds like everyone is a little water logged here, no comments, no interest.

My word tonight is that N'tle City Council is keeping Bill Elliott Oval closed this weekend. If this is the case, major worries for the Cardiff V Warners Bay rivalry match.

Sounds like everyone is a little water logged here, no comments, no interest.

My word tonight is that N'tle City Council is keeping Bill Elliott Oval closed this weekend. If this is the case, major worries for the Cardiff V Warners Bay rivalry match.

Would not surprise in the slightest as it is built on reclaimed swamp land. Once the under ground water table has built up, as it has with all of that rain, it will take months to dry out. How long is hillsborough??

Would not surprise in the slightest as it is built on reclaimed swamp land. Once the under ground water table has built up, as it has with all of that rain, it will take months to dry out. How long is hillsborough??

Hillsborough isn't long enough, being only that its a revamped soccer field. They've run the field diagonally to get 135m out of it. It hasn't come up too bad after the big wet, but just a bit short for Senior footy.

I hear the Seniors have been training there after not being able to get the lights fixed at Bill Elliott.

Hillsborough isn't long enough, being only that its a revamped soccer field. They've run the field diagonally to get 135m out of it. It hasn't come up too bad after the big wet, but just a bit short for Senior footy.

I hear the Seniors have been training there after not being able to get the lights fixed at Bill Elliott.

Its never that they weren't able to, just weren't prepared to fork out big $$ to repair lights that they didn't own, on a ground that they effectively had no care & control over, given that Bill Elliott is supposed to be a short term proposition.

But for Cardiff I guess it remains to be seen if the LMCC will

(a) kick the tin and build at Edgeworth as promised.
(b) kick the tin and redevelop Hillsborough so that senior footy can be played there or
(c) do what everyone thinks they will do (i.e, nothing)

game against wyong and gosford looks to be a good contest this weekend as wyong are mark improvers in the last couple of weeks, gosford look to have the edge with class players but need to put in a good team performance if they are going to get across the line in this one

geez guys this has died in the arse, getting closer to finals time, is newcastle unbeatable, has kilarny stopped and will they be a force3 come finals time, will warners bay hold onto the last finals spot and is gosford about to make another late season charge, give us ome thoughts guys, are some clubs already looking to next year ans on the recruiting already? whats going to happen with next year when clubs are forced to bring a first grade side to the comp, i think it will only be good and teams like nelson will be competative against some sides, i think the more teams the better, as clubs aare starting out their will be a big gap between them and newcastle but it would give clubs something to stive for and maybe recruit some good players

Agree Sideliner, good to see a few clubs have to step up to the plate with a senior side.

Some good Juniors coming through the ranks, which should assist in building all clubs squads.

Like many areas though, the 18's are being propped up with 16's at many clubs. This may need to have some more effort put into it.

Have to wonder about the league honcho's, when they head the website with shite about netball.

Think they should get the football right before they start mucking around with other sports.

The gap between the haves and the have nots is as wide as ever, BDAFL should spend more resources on the two junior leagues, not a netball comp.

Gday guys, can anyone confirm a rumour i heard(but hvnt researched much)that Newcastle No1 centre of ground collapsed after all the recent rain?? I may be looking stupid here so can anyone shed light on it. Will finals be held there still?If not where??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back