Strategy Blair Hartley Project 2015 II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If Stevie J is cut off by the Cats, should we consider picking him up as a mature aged recruit and plonking him in our forward line for 1-2 years?

I would personally love the idea, in all honesty he's still playing fantastic footy for the Cats, but considering they have about 9 guys over 30 on their list, it's understandable that they'd want to develop some of their young guns, and therefore would potentially look to move him on.

Provided of course that we picked him up as either a UFA or a DFA, and that it didn't interfere with our other plans for securing talent such as Yarran, Motlop, or whoever else, I think we'd be mad to not at least consider the possibility. To be fair, the same discussion was had about Chappy before he went to Essendon, but I think Stevie J has shown that he's still got the capacity to play a permanent small forward role very very well.

For anybody who watches On The Couch, they said that Stevie J is one of only 8 players in the competition who currently averages more than 20 possessions and 1 goal per game.

For the record, two of the other eight players were Brett Deledio and Dustin Martin, and another one was Steven Motlop. So if we managed to secure Motlop as well, we'd have 4 of the 8 players on that list running around for us, which would make us a very dangerous outfit.

Also, given the news about the retirement of Chris Newman, and also previously Nathan Foley (our two oldest players), it certainly would not be a stretch to get him on the list at 31 years of age, considering that our next oldest player would be Ivan Maric at 29 years old (turning 30).

The upside of bringing Stevie J into our team would far outweight any potential risks or negatives, and if he is indeed cut loose by the Cats, we should consider it very seriously.

Thoughts?

Do you think he'd be after a lot of money though? I do.
I also reckon other teams would outbid us for him, if he doesn't just retire instead.

Do you think he'd be after a lot of money though? I do.
I also reckon other teams would outbid us for him, if he doesn't just retire instead.

Depends on what you'd define as "alot of money"

I'd happily part with 700k over 2 years for him, maybe 400k next year, and down to 300k in 2017.

It'd probably be somewhat of a paycut compared to his Geelong contract, but then again, it'd surely be better than the 100k he would earn in the bush league.

Not sure if many clubs would go for him, given his age. Our club is one of the few that doesn't have anybody over 30 years old, but is still a team that will be looking to contend from next year onwards, and so can afford to offer him something.

Freo, Hawks, Swans, North, and even the Dogs have a bunch of guys over 30 already.

Eagles might be the only other team who are in our situation, but I doubt Stevie would uproot to WA, and the Eagles already have his position covered anyway.

Stevie J to Richmond would be a perfect match for mine, tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant remember which footy show it was last night, but they said the Tiges should be going for both Motlop and Yarran.
It was footy classified.
This shit about dimma being two faced is a crook of shit. He stated that he thought the system was flawed in that clubs could speak to players mid contract and it be played out within the media.
At no stage did he say he wouldn't he is playing within rules he thinks need altered.

Don't like him as a person, but would be handy to put on a flank to have Menadue develop in the VFL. So if he comes relatively cheap, I wouldn't be against it.

would rather put the time into lennon or a younger forward. of course if we go very deep into finals he could be worth it for a couple of years to push us that last little bit towards a premiership, but i still dont think we go past week 1 of finals yet so i dont think we are in a position to take a player of his age as a top up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back