10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Completely slaughtered them early.

It's possible you'll all remember the final margin, but at half time we were 10 points up.

And It was mainly due to the non stop (down the throat) tap work of Blake. It was truly awesome.

Wojo's run had massive impact. To be able to put the ball 20 metres wider when the team was under pressure and to have a guy burst was invaluable.

These two guys held the team together.

Don't go forgetting the first half while you're sipping on your Burgundy.

Re: Blake & Wojo

Yeah they were both excellent, even noticed Blake beating Brogan around the ground for the most part. Used his body well in contested marking situations. Nearly plucked em' too!

Glad someone considered Blakes' game deserved a toast as with Wojo.

Would also like to throw in Tom Lonergan, had a great game, looking very composed and growing in confidence by the week.
Mitch Duncan just does things so well, for a kid, fantastic.

Very happy with Wojo's game - back to how we like him to play. Will stay in the side with that.

Blake I thought was so-so. He did a lot better around the ground than he has before, but a few pieces of play were sloppy, e.g. two of Ports goals in the 2nd quarter iirc were from ruck taps straight down the throat of Port players. Still, a serviceable game from him though.

Blake's tap work was very impressive, but he is still embarrassing any time he gets near the ball. Sooner or later, a good team will exploit this (ie. Saints round 14 last year).

Blake's tap work was very impressive, but he is still embarrassing any time he gets near the ball. Sooner or later, a good team will exploit this (ie. Saints round 14 last year).
What happened against that team in the GF?

Blake was using his body nicely. He still doesn't use the ball all that well but he's playing his role. He did tap it straight to the opposition a couple of times but I thought our midfield probably should have read the play a bit better as well - it didn't look like we were putting the pressure on when we should have.

Wojo was sensational. He added zip when it was needed.

It's possible you'll all remember the final margin, but at half time we were 10 points up.

And It was mainly due to the non stop (down the throat) tap work of Blake. It was truly awesome.

Wojo's run had massive impact. To be able to put the ball 20 metres wider when the team was under pressure and to have a guy burst was invaluable.

wojo showed why he is in the team today
great pace, awesome effort

blake gets taps, we know that, but his miss from straight in front is why he is not up to it, he taps but given the modern game he needs to add more to the team
if he was not playing in a top team, he would not receive the latitude he does, wce had cox and in walks nat and he adds to their team, we really need blake to be first ruck to give otto less ruck time more forward time

duncan is awesome, and will be in his prime with hogan, when we have a few retirements, great drafting

good effort by davenport, quality player, but would never had any game time at the cats

Glad someone considered Blakes' game deserved a toast as with Wojo.

Would also like to throw in Tom Lonergan, had a great game, looking very composed and growing in confidence by the week.
Mitch Duncan just does things so well, for a kid, fantastic.
I had to wait for the go ahead, as have always felt Blakey sets us up like that, very under-rated and over-abused, he had a better game than Ottens today, but the combination is going to get us through. Who goes for Scarlett? Milburn via MRP? That bump looked pretty fair in real time, worse on tv.

Love that assessment VC. That's what we spoke about in the long drive back home. That drive is so easy after a win like that.

blake gets taps, we know that, but his miss from straight in front is why he is not up to it, he taps but given the modern game he needs to add more to the team
if he was not playing in a top team, he would not receive the latitude he does, wce had cox and in walks nat and he adds to their team, we really need blake to be first ruck to give otto less ruck time more forward time

The situation is simple, the job of a 2nd ruckman is to win taps, which Blake does excellently. That's his job, and he does it better than any other in his position in the league.

Regarding the miss from a 45 degree angle, can I refer you to the 2nd quarter, where a very reliable man by the name of Chapman missed a sitter from 15 metres out, directly in front. It happens to the best of us, and the sooner everyone hops of Blake's back (including the general off-putting noise the crowd makes when he gets it) the better he will be.

What happened against that team in the GF?

You all of a sudden jumped back on the Cats wagon after the final siren, that's what. And don't discount the difference in having Otto in the GF compared to the round 14 match. Christ, Blake barely even contested the final Gardiner mark.

If it wasn't for Mackie, Blake would have been the worst Cats player on the ground yesterday IMHO. Occasional tap ruckmen just don't cut it any more.

Downhill skiers ski downhill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You all of a sudden jumped back on the Cats wagon after the final siren, that's what. And don't discount the difference in having Otto in the GF compared to the round 14 match. Christ, Blake barely even contested the final Gardiner mark.

If it wasn't for Mackie, Blake would have been the worst Cats player on the ground yesterday IMHO. Occasional tap ruckmen just don't cut it any more.

Blake is developing into more than just a Tap Ruckman. He was sensational yesterday (Final hitouts 44-18), with a great percentage to effectiveness. Blake is actually starting to impose on the contest, he is more confident in taking possession and is clearly an asset to the team. I have been a critic, but there is just no way you could condone the man for his form thus far. As was mentioned, he has stood up in the GF also, so things are clearly on the improve.

As for Mackie - we have seen it before, he can look crap in the early season, but when it counts, you want him there.

Further mentions for Lonergan who seems to be combining with Harry very well. Played a great role down back today and i just can't wait to see us play Scarlo in the pocket alongside Milburn, with Harry and Lonners taking the big posts - very excting!

Blake is developing into more than just a Tap Ruckman. He was sensational yesterday (Final hitouts 44-18), with a great percentage to effectiveness. Blake is actually starting to impose on the contest, he is more confident in taking possession and is clearly an asset to the team. I have been a critic, but there is just no way you could condone the man for his form thus far. As was mentioned, he has stood up in the GF also, so things are clearly on the improve.

As for Mackie - we have seen it before, he can look crap in the early season, but when it counts, you want him there.

Further mentions for Lonergan who seems to be combining with Harry very well. Played a great role down back today and i just can't wait to see us play Scarlo in the pocket alongside Milburn, with Harry and Lonners taking the big posts - very excting!

He stood there in awe of Sandilands last week.

Blake gave Brogan a masterclass in tap ruckwork and it was a joy to watch, and no doubt a joy to be on the end of his delightful work.
He's also starting to have a presence around the ground (and not before time) which, if he persists with, adds a huge extra dimension to our game and takes the pressure off Otto, who we need to nurse through the season.

He rarely ever gets any praise on these boards so it's nice to see his superb performance acknowledged.

That was also the best Wojo has played this year.
His first three weeks were ordinary but yesterday he was back to his best with his trademark dashing runs and daring play.
Long may it continue.

Just another thing on Lonergan I was very impressed by was when Port got a clearance and someone kicked an absolute wormburner into the forward 50 (I think it was Gray). Would have been a forwards afternoon delight, but rather than just conceding it was 'one of those kicks that no one could stop' Lonergan was right there to get the fist in. Excellent closing speed.

In the Round 14 match we got pumped in the clearances when Mumford was rucking and 2 of Gardiner's 3 goals occurred because Mumford left his opponent to unsuccessfully contest for the ball. That's not to say I was particularly unhappy with Mumford's efforts, and Blake should have done better in that final contest, but it's just another example of the hilarious double standard that is always wheeled out when Blake's name is mentioned. Probably should be noted that Blake had more possessions out of less TOG than Ottens and truly great ruck stats (22 hit outs at 32%) yesterday, and while I would have liked to have seen more clearances and tackles it was hardly a bad performance.

Wojo, I said on these boards during the week that you were very lucky not to be dropped, and I stand by that, but you were outstanding yesterday. The runs, and most importantly 83 % efficiency :thumbsu:

Spot definitely secured for next week, and as for the whole season, we'll see.

Blake was ok without being outstanding. I loved it when one of our mids was about to handball it, then saw that Blake was running past, and decided...not to. And then when Ablett gave Blake a shot on goal in junk time :D

I noticed in the presser that Bomber said Blake 'needed to have a good game'. Do you think he put the acid on him and is thinking of going back to one ruckman, or did I read too much into it?

Wojo, I said on these boards during the week that you were very lucky not to be dropped, and I stand by that, but you were outstanding yesterday. The runs, and most importantly 83 % efficiency :thumbsu:

Spot definitely secured for next week, and as for the whole season, we'll see.

Blake was ok without being outstanding. I loved it when one of our mids was about to handball it, then saw that Blake was running past, and decided...not to. And then when Ablett gave Blake a shot on goal in junk time :D

I noticed in the presser that Bomber said Blake 'needed to have a good game'. Do you think he put the acid on him and is thinking of going back to one ruckman, or did I read too much into it?

Think it was Mitch, and while everyone around me laughed at it too, that's kind've been my point with Blake - at times he causes the other players to hesitate for a moment when thinking about giving him the pill and in today's game that moment's hesitation usually ends up in turnovers.

Think it was Mitch, and while everyone around me laughed at it too, that's kind've been my point with Blake - at times he causes the other players to hesitate for a moment when thinking about giving him the pill and in today's game that moment's hesitation usually ends up in turnovers.

We all know how big a role confidence plays in a footballer's performance. I wonder how much better Blake would be with a bit of that confidence from his own team mates. I feel so sorry for the big fella when that happens. Give him a chance, especially considering his kicking efficiency which is regularly over 80%.

We all know how big a role confidence plays in a footballer's performance. I wonder how much better Blake would be with a bit of that confidence from his own team mates. I feel so sorry for the big fella when that happens. Give him a chance, especially considering his kicking efficiency which is regularly over 80%.

He's not the worst kick in the team by a long way, and he's played some good games against good opponents. He'll be beaten on occasion - who isn't? - but I reckon as a ruckman he's still ahead of all but a few of the real guns in that position. Good test this week for him, too.

Blakes ruckwork in the 3rd played as big a part as anybody did. As far as ruck work goes I think he's easily in the top 10 in the league.

Those crowing on about his kick effeciency are a bit misguided though IMO. It's not like he ever jams it onto his boot for a quick kick. When ever he kicks it he has a paddock of space to find a team mate. It bloody should be 80%+.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Blake and Wojcinski

Remove this Banner Ad

Back