Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Celtic Utopia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Boston ones.
Ok it's official his game gives me the ********s.

He strolls around like he thinks hes got all the time in the world to get rid of the ball.

He squibs too many hard ball or body contact situation.(iv'e nicknamed him the squib)

Added to that he still plays with his ********in hair too much.

He cost us a couple of goals on Saturday and i was glad to see Pagan drag him there at one stage.

Sure he can do a few freaky things that make us think wow hes got talent.

I just think at times his thought process is a bit too slow which leads to poor decisions, and his brain seems to think his legs are going faster than they are.

Just wondering what other fans think of his playing style

AndSmithMustScore said:

He strolls around like he thinks hes got all the time in the world to get rid of the ball.

He squibs too many hard ball or body contact situation.(iv'e nicknamed him the squib)

He cost us a couple of goals on Saturday and i was glad to see Pagan drag him there at one stage.

I just think at times his thought process is a bit too slow which leads to poor decisions, and his brain seems to think his legs are going faster than they are.

everyone seems to either be for or against houla ...

i for one think he's a huge talent, he frustrates me like hell, but he had a poor game sat night, but everyone has them!

two weeks ago he was sensational picking up 24 touches ...

he is still young he'll come good ...

ps: walker gave me the irites, he seems to turn the ball over a lot too

He has alot of confidence in his own ability. He seems overconfident at times. But I think his technique suits our gameplan. He runs hard and has a superb kick.

Jimmae said:
He sets up the play, he makes the opposition play at him.

Of course there'll be turnovers involved :p

He had a solid game last night - the only one who really disappointed for me was Wiggins - he was a deer in headlights.

Nervous or what?
well i totally disagree about Wiggins he chases and tackles like his life depends on it..he will be an integral part of this blues line up ..just you wait and see.
as for Houla he has great skills and appears casual at times ..he made a couple of mistakes during the game .but which player on the ground didn't ?
campereale missed 2 players 35 out from goal and kicked the ball between them to the defenders .
Nick Stevens had a shot at goal when he had a player free 10 metres out calling for the ball .
Fev had a snap on his left from the pocket when he had a player free directly in front . we forget these little stuff ups because these players are stars and will make the correct descision 99 percent of the time .
we should extend the same courtesy to the younger blokes

Houla's positive points far outway his negatives IMO.
He is the type of player who will always be copping abuse for his style, like a fiora type, but it comes down to, it takes different types to win a game.
A key member to the blues line up, and adds the creativeness that we require to create goals from the backline

I like Houla...He's reliable and his attacking disposals are always handy and he rarely stuffs it like say a Wiggins or Carrazzo. He's an important part of our backline.

i think houlihan has talent but he's given the same role as lappin, which is running off the backline. But, when we compare the two lappin is miles ahead due to his speed and footskills. Houlihan is a good player but he has to play faster footy and he has to be more lively on the field, its like his walking in a mall, when his on the field.

legendtofski said:
I like Houla...He's reliable and his attacking disposals are always handy and he rarely stuffs it like say a Wiggins or Carrazzo. He's an important part of our backline.

I'm a fan of Carazzo, has good pace and reads the play well. He's just gotta stop rushing his kicks.

Waite_30 said:
i think houlihan has talent but he's given the same role as lappin, which is running off the backline. But, when we compare the two lappin is miles ahead due to his speed and footskills. Houlihan is a good player but he has to play faster footy and he has to be more lively on the field, its like his walking in a mall, when his on the field.

But in all honesty, that is because Lappin is a brillant player. i would always expect him to do a better job than houla's. he is quite a few years his senior, and it doesnt detract from the fact that Houla still has a good game, even if Lappin had a better one - also means that if need be, we can play lappin up forward, and let houla play his role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

astro_toby said:
But in all honesty, that is because Lappin is a brillant player. i would always expect him to do a better job than houla's. he is quite a few years his senior, and it doesnt detract from the fact that Houla still has a good game, even if Lappin had a better one - also means that if need be, we can play lappin up forward, and let houla play his role

Did you enjoy watching a team that can win premierships? Must've been a change of pace for you. :D

Waite_30 said:

Lappins nearly 30. Houlas still only 22-23. Houla is a better all round player than lappo was at houlas age.

He seems to lack urgency at times...........he also turns the ball over in the back half at least once a game - too many times if you ask me. We can't afford to be giving easy goals away like that in the back half

I cringe whenever he has the ball........

If only we could merge the talent of Houlihan with the urgency of Wiggins... what a player we'd have then.

We could call him Wigglihan.....! :D

T-Bird32 said:
If only we could merge the talent of Houlihan with the urgency of Wiggins... what a player we'd have then.

We could call him Wigglihan.....! :D

Or "Houligin"

fahmi said:
Or "Houligin"

Great call :D

As for whoever was suggesting I was trashing Wiggins, I said I was disappointed - He was looking fantastic last year before he did his shoulder - same as Prenda.

The difference I know the way Prenda goes about his footy, and that will lead to him returning to those heights. Wiggo I'm not so sure about.

But he did pull an effort (7 minutes into the second quarter if you have footage) where we spoiled in a contest, swooped on the ball and fired it out to Stevens in the same motion before getting collected, play on advantage - F50 entry.

But in that situation where he ran straight into an Eagles bloke, he was looking to pass when Simmo kept telling him to run - he had just shut his brain off. Disappointing is how I described that.

AndSmithMustScore said:

I can see where you're coming from, but I think he's extremely skilled and therefore an asset to our side. Shirking the hard ball? Not sure about that. If anything he's guilty of trying to do too much - too much fiddling and finessing. If he's no good I'm sure Pagan wouldn't be persisting with him.

gadj1976 said:
I can see where you're coming from, but I think he's extremely skilled and therefore an asset to our side. Shirking the hard ball? Not sure about that. If anything he's guilty of trying to do too much - too much fiddling and finessing. If he's no good I'm sure Pagan wouldn't be persisting with him.
when asked about Houlihan on club previews on fox, Pagan said he was hoping to play Houla in the midfield at a later date . so he apparently rates him very highly

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody Houlihan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back