Blue Murder vs Underbelly

Which one is the better series?

• Blue Murder

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Underbelly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I've seen of Underbelly, its a no contest - Blue Murder easily.

Underbelly is over produced in my opinion.

Its been a long time since i've seen Blue Murder. I watched about 15 mins of one episode last week just to re jog my memory. I remember it being fantastic but revisiting it the acting is still sketchy. I think we just expect more these days, and rightly so i suppose.

If anything Underbelly just proves how far behind the UK and the USA we really are. But i still love it ;)

I think Underbelly is superior. Blue Murder may seem good in our fading memories but when you see it now it doesn't hold up well. Still an important series but not as good as the brilliant Underbelly.

I think Underbelly is superior. Blue Murder may seem good in our fading memories but when you see it now it doesn't hold up well. Still an important series but not as good as the brilliant Underbelly.

Nah, totally disagree. Went to a Blue Murder party last year (believe it or not, put on by some coppers:p) and rewatched the whole thing. Holds up extremely well over a decade down the track.

The acting and script for Blue Murder are vastly superior to the at times "Music Video" like Underbelly.

I'm enjoying underbelly, but its not in Blue Murders league. Not by a long shot.

Haha... No. Blue Murder still stands up as the best Aus drama screened so far... IMO, of course ;)

Underbelly is a poor imitation, you can see where they've tried to borrow production elements from Blue Murder and it is poorly done. The script had a lot of potential but was badly let down by the casting.

Underbelly by a long way for me.

Blue Murder was very good for its time but that genre of television has got so much better with shows like The Shield and Underbelly lives up to the hype for me.

From what I've seen of Underbelly, its a no contest - Blue Murder easily.

Underbelly is over produced in my opinion.

Nah, totally disagree. Went to a Blue Murder party last year (believe it or not, put on by some coppers:p) and rewatched the whole thing. Holds up extremely well over a decade down the track.

The acting and script for Blue Murder are vastly superior to the at times "Music Video" like Underbelly.

I'm enjoying underbelly, but its not in Blue Murders league. Not by a long shot.

Blue Murder is the best Australian production I have ever watched, it smashes Underbelly which is a reasonable show but not in Blue Murders league.

Haha... No. Blue Murder still stands up as the best Aus drama screened so far... IMO, of course ;)

Underbelly is a poor imitation, you can see where they've tried to borrow production elements from Blue Murder and it is poorly done. The script had a lot of potential but was badly let down by the casting.

Agree with all of the above. Blue Murder is in another class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The poll is 13 all - that pretty much sums up my feelings. Both are/were great shows. I was concerned that Underbelly might have been over hyped but it has lived up to expectation for me. Despite the cast being bigger name in Blue Murder, the acting is better in Underbelly. Maybe this is just because BM is old - I'm sure Underbelly will look like that in 15 years. But in saying that, the cast in Underbelly isn't shabby either. Gyton Grantly as Carl Williams and Kat Stewart as his wife Roberta have been all class. She pulls off that tacky rough bogan chick look perfectly.

East-West 101 was much better than Underbelly... As far as recent Aus crime drama's go...
The attraction to BM and Underbelly is that they are based on real people and real events. Take that away and I wouldn't be near as interested (but still would be good shows).

Everyone wants to know what our criminals get up to and how the underworld works. Underbelly seems quite realistic to me. Thankfuilly they didn't misrepresent these people as sophicated and intelligent crime people, rather the dumb thugs that they really are.

I think Underbelly has let itself down in a couple of points. The casting of Martin Sacks as Mario Condello and Kevin Harrington as Lewis Moran are 2 of the biggest casting blunders I have ever seen. Sacks' "accent" is appalling and Harrington comes off as just too warm and fuzzy (a la every other character he has ever played). That and a poor attention to detail in post production, as has been mentioned in other threads (Pure Blonde on tap, recent model cars being shown, recent music being played). It's just plain sloppy.

Blue Murder didn't have that. It was more polished, without the massive cast and budget of Underbelly.

Blue Murder. But not by a lot. Underbelly is still very good.

I think Underbelly has let itself down in a couple of points. The casting of Martin Sacks as Mario Condello and Kevin Harrington as Lewis Moran are 2 of the biggest casting blunders I have ever seen.
Agree. Don't really know much about these blokes in real life. but for some reason it doesn't ring true - particularly Lewis Moran. Does Condello have an Italian accent?

Blue Murder didn't have that. It was more polished, without the massive cast of Underbelly.
Not sure about that:

Roxburgh
Dimitriadis
Phelps
Graham
Martin
Sweet
Bastoni
etc

Essentially, every good domestic based actor was in it.

Despite the cast being bigger name in Blue Murder, the acting is better in Underbelly.

Richard Roxburgh and Tony Martin have more acting talent in their little fingers than the entire underbelly cast. The acting in Underbelly is way below blue murder standard.

But i'm still a big fan of underbelly, great show. But the acting isn't one of its high points. The production is pretty polished tho.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people who voted for Underbelly here have never even seen Blue Murder.

Not sure about that:

Roxburgh
Dimitriadis
Phelps
Graham
Martin
Sweet
Bastoni
etc

Essentially, every good domestic based actor was in it.

Don't forget Bill "Been battlin all me life" Hunter

billhunter2.jpg

Richard Roxburgh and Tony Martin have more acting talent in their little fingers than the entire underbelly cast. The acting in Underbelly is way below blue murder standard.

But i'm still a big fan of underbelly, great show. But the acting isn't one of its high points. The production is pretty polished tho.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people who voted for Underbelly here have never even seen Blue Murder.
Two words:

Vince Colossimo.

As good as any.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blue Murder vs Underbelly

Back