News Welcome to Carlton Rob Inness - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

When looking at the Burgess conversation, I looked into the teams who I perceived who had the best season injury wise in 2024, and Innes' name was one of the first that came up. It wasn't clear on the Swans website if he was top dog, or one of many, but I think this is a positive appointment.

Welcome Rob, go well. Tough gig implementing a new fitness regimen expected to provide instant results. Not sure what his philosophy is yet, some research required.

When looking at the Burgess conversation, I looked into the teams who I perceived who had the best season injury wise in 2024, and Innes' name was one of the first that came up. It wasn't clear on the Swans website if he was top dog, or one of many, but I think this is a positive appointment.

Feels like a massive win.

Bar has been set so low now he can literally walk over it. 17 injuries coming into r23 including the spine of the team. Not exactly hard to beat.

I don't have the figures but I'm going to take a guess and say we're constantly up there with the teams using the most players

I agree we probably would be but I'm not sure that players used is a very accurate measure in this case. I'd guess that developing teams like us will always use more players than the more established lists purely because they're searching for their best team.

Perhaps a better measure is the number of games played by the better players and the benefit of having more consistant team structure.

Using this season as an example and comparing the Swans to us:

The Swans have had 9 players (50% of a run on team) play all 23 games. We had 4

Swans had 17 players play 20 games or more. We had 12.

That seems to me to allow the Swans to run a far more consistant structure than us over a full season.

Who knows how much of this can be attributed to high performances, luck or just list quality but easy to see why they finished where they did (specially with a home ground advantage) and we finished where we did.

If this guy can help to bring us the Swans kind of numbers he'll be a great get.

We would’ve had to pay well above to ‘Poach’ him from the Swans I reckon…

Don’t reckon well above, cost of living up there is horrendous. Straight away he’s made an extra 5-10%, Chuck in LaTrobe uni extras and he’s probably 10-15% more in the pocket
Pretty good start, then he’s coming to a club that’s been diabolical in his field and he has a huge chance to increase the value of his brand, no brainer to me

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree we probably would be but I'm not sure that players used is a very accurate measure in this case. I'd guess that developing teams like us will always use more players than the more established lists purely because they're searching for their best team.

Perhaps a better measure is the number of games played by the better players and the benefit of having more consistant team structure.

Using this season as an example and comparing the Swans to us:

The Swans have had 9 players (50% of a run on team) play all 23 games. We had 4

Swans had 17 players play 20 games or more. We had 12.

That seems to me to allow the Swans to run a far more consistant structure than us over a full season.

Who knows how much of this can be attributed to high performances, luck or just list quality but easy to see why they finished where they did (specially with a home ground advantage) and we finished where we did.

If this guy can help to bring us the Swans kind of numbers he'll be a great get.

Consistency is huge.

Having inexperienced players coming in, as well as players taking at least a couple weeks to adjust to the pace and intensity of AFL after coming back from injury is another massive factor IMO.

Eureka.

Literally the best Carlton news I’ve heard all year.

Tigers were so well managed during their premiership run (when Innes was there).

They wouldn’t play players until they had completely recovered from injuries.

We seem to continually have recurring injuries (eg. Cerra) - and it does my head in.

We have had 10-16 players on the injury for most of the last 5 years!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would’ve had to pay well above to ‘Poach’ him from the Swans I reckon…
I would be shocked if he wasn't getting Russell's paycheck at least.

Getting a critical staff member to move out of a high-functioning team isn't a cheap business

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Without the likes of Marchy, Cuners, Martin on our list next year. I am betting he provides a much healthier group for us

to enjoy watching next year. The only way is up. Normally you do get, what you pay up for.

He had those players Martin for about half and vast majority for Cuners and Marchy of their careers.
Plenty of time to turn them around and failed along with others like Philp.

Now we have Cerra, Motlop, Walsh, Saad, McGovern, M Carroll et al that are bordering on chronic

Agree Martin, Cuners and Marchy have to go, should have all gone last year. They are now virtually unfixable, but to say there’s not others that need “fixing” is very shortsighted.

Innes will have his work cut out for him, the proof will be in the pudding.

He had those players Martin for about half and vast majority for Cuners and Marchy of their careers.
Plenty of time to turn them around and failed along with others like Philp.

Now we have Cerra, Motlop, Walsh, Saad, McGovern, M Carroll et al that are bordering on chronic

Agree Martin, Cuners and Marchy have to go, should have all gone last year. They are now virtually unfixable, but to say there’s not others that need “fixing” is very shortsighted.

Innes will have his work cut out for him, the proof will be in the pudding.

Never said that their were no others who needed fixing. M Carroll will not be at our club next year, you would think.

Out of the other players that you mention, only Cerra really concerns me. His hammys are a real problem atm.

Hopefully Innes and his team can get him right for 25, he is such a talent. Of the others, just really hope they can all have a

solid pre-season with no niggles.

Walshy looks like he has turned the corner, was much better vs the Aints. I will back him to be best on, on Sat night.

Best of luck, the toughest job in football. Wonder if it was the challenge of fixing our woes with the list, better coin, something else or a combination that enticed him across from Swans who do things well all round.

Best of luck, the toughest job in football. Wonder if it was the challenge of fixing our woes with the list, better coin, something else or a combination that enticed him across from Swans who do things well all round.

CASH…

No way he would be leaving the Bondi lifestyle for East Brunswick…

What about Carlton over the same period of time?

2024 37 Eq 11th (remembering Silvagni isn't in that as he missed the whole season)

2023 37 Eq 9th with 4 other teams

2022 40 Eq 15th

2021 39 Eq 12th with 4 other teams

2020 36 Eq 7th

2019 37 Eq 10th

2018 37 Eq 9th

2017 39 16th

2016 35 Eq 5th with 3 other teams

Bear in mind that we have players that have lost full seasons, Charlie, Doc x 2, Marchbank x 2, Williams etc. All of these would have been played if available.

This applies to other teams too of course.

Last edited:
CASH…

No way he would be leaving the Bondi lifestyle for East Brunswick…
The Bondi lifestyle? Never heard something so funny. Least desirable location in Sydney... Only in front of the overly hot west and the housing commish in Waterloo...

Its cash + time for a change. Simple as. the swans have 'sold' their setup around the world previously.

Out of respect for our new high performance overlord I feel the need to note that his surname is

Inness.

Double s.

If we are to demand this man deliver us premierships we must leave no stone unturned in our own referencing and discussion.

In all seriousness I’ve had a little bit to do with his brother and he’s a pretty high quality person/operator so I have no doubts the club is in really good hands

Remove this Banner Ad

News Welcome to Carlton Rob Inness - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back