Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Butler is a good start, upgrade on Polson and Lebois which certainly makes our list better.
He did some nice things yesterday Butler, he did drift in and out like any small forward but he certainly impacted the game when he got a chance. Plus his tackles stuck! We can talk all we want about our best players but when it comes to premiership sides they almost always have a better bottom 6 players than their opposition. Ensuring we’re upgrading players like Polson into Butler will ensure we continue to get better.

With respect to impact players - I don’t think we have scratched the surface of what Walsh is capable of.

Iirc, many of walsh’s u18 highlights had disposals dropping just a but short of players upfield and as a result, one of the criticisms of Walsh was disposal efficiency. I had always thought this was because the upstream players were not responding quick enough and the issue would largely resolve itself at AFL level. I still think this is the case.

To my eyes, walsh’s disposal efficiency this season hasn’t so much been kicks falling short but rather from trying to do a bit too much - particularly when fatigued. I don’t think there have been many 18yos that have consistently gut run to the extent that walsh has this season. This takes a toll and will result in lower disposal efficiency and reduced impact per game.

Give Walsh a season or two to develop (to cope with physical stress and fatigue, develop a better understanding pacing himself through game etc) and you will see the disposal efficiency and impact per game significantly increase.

On the above, wondering if anyone could offer up a couple of names of players that, at 18, consistently pushed themselves to the point of fatigue as Walsh does? Reviewing the development of such players may give a good indication as to how much development Walsh has in him...

Apologise if this has been covered, but I skipped about 20 pages. I figured there wasn’t heaps of solid content amongst them.

If we do secure Butley, Papley and Betts does this push Martin(if we land him too) up the ground? I don’t know heaps about him. Or would he and say Papley both rotate between midfield and small forward positions. I don’t know heaps about either of these guys or what they are capable of...
Please and thank you.

Martin is a pure mid who happens to be able to kick great goals. Wing probably his best position....

He did some nice things yesterday Butler, he did drift in and out like any small forward but he certainly impacted the game when he got a chance. Plus his tackles stuck! We can talk all we want about our best players but when it comes to premiership sides they almost always have a better bottom 6 players than their opposition. Ensuring we’re upgrading players like Polson into Butler will ensure we continue to get better.
Polson has no talent except drving Bolton to footy training.
Cannot kick handball or tackle.
Runs around like a headless chook.
Like McCreadie he cannot get a touch.
Get rid of them both and pay them out. We have plenty of money now we missed on Cogs.
They are list cloggers.
Never will be any good.

Polson has no talent except drving Bolton to footy training.
Cannot kick handball or tackle.
Runs around like a headless chook.
Like McCreadie he cannot get a touch.
Get rid of them both and pay them out. We have plenty of money now we missed on Cogs.
They are list cloggers.
Never will be any good.

Diamond Jim going all studs out just like T Greene ...

I really like Butlers speed, that forward pressure will be a delight.

If we get Betts and Butler doesn’t make Papley worth over paying for, even though Papley can play midfield minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t really get it with Martin

Sure he’s a nice player

But is he gunna be a better wingman than O’Brien? a better back flank than SPS, Doc or Williamson? A better third tall than McGovern? Can he even play small forward? He is certainly not going to be a mid in our team once developed.

I reckon he’ll be the 18th-22nd player picked each week.

Severely underrating Martin here. He's better than LOB and Willo. Two top three finishes in the B&F. Sublime talent.

Chances are i was a CFC member before you were born.

But I'm less informed (or connected) because I've posted less here?

Please.

Chances are that Thy was a member before football was created....

Papley came 4th in the Swans bandf, 4 votes off second place. I’m still cautious on offering up pick 8 for him, Ithink we will have to use it but I hope we can send it off with one of our 3rds, then we can get a Sydney 2nd rounder coming back.

I have a feeling though, with the strong Butler, Betts and Martin talk, that we won’t be getting Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back