Bluemour Melting Pot XXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said to you years ago...

Even though you enjoy giving me sh*t about it, we were very confident he would see out his GWS contract then make the move to us as a FA...

What we didn't count on, is how stupid he would be to want out a year earlier...then choose to go to them of all places...

Had he stayed he would've likely played in a grand final... from there he would've been in a much better spot to sum up his options and his contract value as a FA would've been a bit higher as well...

Shiel was pushed out early.

Giants needed both cap space and maximum trade value before he became an FA.

I check this forum multiple times an hour, take a few hours off and the bluemours roll in 😂

So playing along with the latest, Gun vic club mid still in finals...
My guesses, going with strictly mid types:
- Billings, great 2019 as a strict mid, maybe Ratts has changed his role this year, we were into him a few years ago
- Guthrie, idolised Juddy, 28 so not exactly the age we're after but still a good 4-5 years left of footy, Geelong could be looking to free up $$ for Cameron
- T.Phillips, highly rate him, flies under the radar a bit, only 24 and has a great left peg
- Parfitt, don't know if he's a GUN mid, but could still be a handy type, not my preference
- Bolton, Tiges needing to free up $? Not exactly a gun type either, but wouldn't say no that's for sure
- DeGoey (dare I say it), again maybe needing to free up $$ for Brown or Cameron, not a mid per say, more of a hybrid

🤔🤷‍♂️

Both the Bont and Sidebottom are UFA end of 2021.

Only put it forward because there was speculation here last night about who the 'mystery' player may have been.

I'm confident we won't see DeGoey.....nor Oliver....nor Merrett....nor Wines....etc
We may well be and should be exploring and if not for this year then to plant the seeds for the next. Nothing wrong with that.

My intention wasn’t to be rude to you which I understand that it appeared like that. It sounded quite harsh reading back, sorry about that mate.

If we are bringing in Williams and 1-2 more mids (eg Hunter and Oliver) then we can’t hold on to so many young unproven but on paper talented mids.

We can’t play so many even when using them as depth and we won’t be able to afford them by their 3rd or 5th year given other priorities.

If we are bringing in more experienced mids we will need to get rid of one or two younger mids.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Truth.

I still reckon it could be done with draft picks and the player traded could be someone like Kennedy/JSOS, but if we get Williams and someone like Oliver our midfield is suddenly stacked...what opportunity is someone like LOB/Dow/Stocker going to get?

LOB in particularly couldn't even make the emergency list this year and has been overtaken by Cottrell...and would be pushed further down the list by Williams and Oliver. Dow/Stocker/Philp are all described as inside mids...realistically we don't need that many not in the team. Then there's also Kemp and Ramsay.

My intention wasn’t to be rude to you which I understand that it appeared like that. It sounded quite harsh reading back, sorry about that mate.

I didn't take it as that at all but now that you've pointed it out..................prick :)

SPS or Brander anyone?

In an interview this morning with Tim Gossage re WCE, he was asked about potential trade target. He mentioned SPS...saying he’s contracted but looking for a move back home.

Clearly Perth is a long way from Halls Creek, so not sure how real this is.
Would at least listen to what they have to offer.

Can't see them offering overs though so don't really think anything will happen in this space.

His best is sensational....but we just don't see that often enough.

I don't trust him and even though he can be spectacular, I want 'every week' players for us and not 1 in 4, good game players.
(Of course he'll now be the match-winner this weekend)

Don't feel comfortable offering De Goey a long term contract on big money....could easily come back to bite us. He's inconsistent.

Also I feel De Goey does his best work as a one out forward and a target Collingwood kick to deep kind of like Martin...not sure it works as well for us since we have other big key forward marking targets like Curnow/McKay. Cas likely in the team next year and McGovern as well (are we really expecting McGov to not be in the 22 or play defence? I don't think so).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't feel comfortable offering De Goey a long term contract on big money....could easily come back to bite us. He's inconsistent.

Also I feel De Goey does his best work as a one out forward and a target Collingwood kick to deep kind of like Martin...not sure it works as well for us since we have other big key forward marking targets like Curnow/McKay. Cas likely in the team next year and McGovern as well (are we really expecting McGov to not be in the 22 or play defence? I don't think so).

Right or wrong, I think there'd be some serious pushback from elements around the club.
I know....Innocent until proven guilty but would we go down that path, now? Just can't see it happening given.........you know.

We would be absolutely crazy to trade SpS, especially now that we have the cover we need at half back and therefore allow this kid to rotate via the midfield.
We have a bloody decent group of kids now, that can make some serious ground next year and beyond. Let's not do anything stupid.

JSilvagni, O'Brien and SPS don't have to go anywhere if they don't want to. They are contracted, but -
Wouldn't you be asking what your future may hold at the club and what next years opportunities may look like? I would. Maybe some wouldn't..

Whilst it makes sense for the Giants to do it, clubs can’t push out any contracted player. Shiel was contracted, he can look everyone in the eye and say, I’ll leave at the end of next year and there is nothing they can do. If he didn’t want to go, just don’t leave.
Im sure the * offered him a little pay increase and he brought in to the mirage, but he didnT have to go.

They may very well have pushed him out, but at the end of the day, a player does what they feel is best for them, not the club who's trying to push them out...

He was contracted and had every right to refuse to leave.. he didn't, even though he publicly stated that he was happy where he was...instead he went for the carrot that * dangled in front of him... why? Because he felt that was the right move for him. Not very bright if his main priority was to be part of a premiership team imo...

Exciting with the names being mentioned as possibles.

Oliver - gun, changed his style of play during the season to show more burst from stoppages. This guy is quicker than most think.

Dunkley - untapped in his preferred inside mid role. Reminds me of Josh Kennedy going to Sydney for opportunity.

Either of these replace Ed, Dunkley cheaper picks and salary. Could enable us to get a free agent next season. eg Merrett

Hunter would give us those kicking skills I50 we lack

Higgins small forward would be useful.

what are you doing? Aren’t you meant to berate the rumour folk until they disappear?

Not OR, he has built a good reputation over years. He's one of only a few that I'd even take notice of at all. I still wouldn't berate others, I just decide who I take notice of or not myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back