Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd on L’Ob ...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/11/matthew-lloyd-a-big-fan-of-young-carlton-pick-up/

‘Lloyd doesn’t believe the Blues are done yet in this trade period, adding to Damian Barrett’s report from last night that the club is open to trading wingman Lochie O’Brien to Collingwood.

“Lochie O’Brien is one that I think they’d be happy to let go, but it all centres around Jaidyn Stephenson,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOB vs Caldwell on paper:

Caldwell far ahead in tackles, but apart from that theyre line ball. Former picks 10/11 in the last few years, but LOB has 36 games under his belt.

Whatever Essendon pay for Caldwell should set the expectation for what LOB should be worth.
I’d take pick 39. Turn 38/39/48 into 14 with the dogs.

I think he's potentially right, but thats just an indictment on Essendons key talls
Definitely this.

It's easier to have a bigger impact on a weak aspect of a weak team.

GWS want a pick in the early teens for Caldwell, but * don't have that... they do have pick 8 though so now they have to cough that up with possibly a 3rd round pick coming back.

Oh wait... what's that I hear?? They are looking to SPLIT pick 8 with Brisbane and hand one over to GWS instead? I thought that was impossible....

pick 8 is plenty for Caldwell 🤪, just get the deal done and stop being difficult...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those insisting that we should have held out on the Saad deal til 5 mins before deadline are, I suspect, ignoring or failing to consider the bigger picture of the trade period.

Yes, it would be incredibly satisfying to **** with Dodo.

But it's not just Dodo.

If Essendon are lining up a pick swap with Geelong, it's messing with their ability to get Cameron.

If Geelong don't move up the draft board then that in turn forces GWS to accept a lesser deal for Cameron, or retain a bloke they really can't afford to keep.

Giving it some thought - Fogarty went through almost simultaneously to Saad, and the views of Geelong folks seem to be that we got him for well under what they'd have liked. We also publicly acknowledged Geelong and their professionalism in the Fogarty media release.

Don't think it's much of a stretch to think that there was, if not a three way trade agreed to, a couple of dominoes lined up neatly. Geelong take unders for Fogarty to offset us not playing harder with Essendon, that in turn enables Essendon to pull the trigger on the pick swap that in turn allows Geelong to land Cameron.

Entirely possible that if we played harder with Essendon and insisted on a third for second swap, instead of a third by itself, that we'd just have ended up giving that pick to Geelong for Fogarty anyway.

OUT: 8 and 51
IN: Saad and 29
(Take that, Dodo!)

(Then...)
OUT: 29
IN: Fogarty

Overall change to the current situation there is that we hold 30 and 78 instead of 38 and 48.

TLDR: Maybe dealing early was actually the smart play...especially if it's left us time to consider some more pick swaps and maybe a player deal.

ahahahahha didn’t know we had comedians on afl trade radio... Carlton bloke goes “I reckon Mitch McGovern will win the goal kicking medal in 2021 the supporters need to stick by him, he’s due for a breakout year”

yeah nah champ not sure about that

Those insisting that we should have held out on the Saad deal til 5 mins before deadline are, I suspect, ignoring or failing to consider the bigger picture of the trade period.

Yes, it would be incredibly satisfying to fu** with Dodo.

But it's not just Dodo.

If Essendon are lining up a pick swap with Geelong, it's messing with their ability to get Cameron.

If Geelong don't move up the draft board then that in turn forces GWS to accept a lesser deal for Cameron, or retain a bloke they really can't afford to keep.

Giving it some thought - Fogarty went through almost simultaneously to Saad, and the views of Geelong folks seem to be that we got him for well under what they'd have liked. We also publicly acknowledged Geelong and their professionalism in the Fogarty media release.

Don't think it's much of a stretch to think that there was, if not a three way trade agreed to, a couple of dominoes lined up neatly. Geelong take unders for Fogarty to offset us not playing harder with Essendon, that in turn enables Essendon to pull the trigger on the pick swap that in turn allows Geelong to land Cameron.

Entirely possible that if we played harder with Essendon and insisted on a third for second swap, instead of a third by itself, that we'd just have ended up giving that pick to Geelong for Fogarty anyway.

(Take that, Dodo!)

(Then...)

Overall change to the current situation there is that we hold 30 and 78 instead of 38 and 48.

TLDR: Maybe dealing early was actually the smart play...especially if it's left us time to consider some more pick swaps and maybe a player deal.
What is this???

Some kind of logic?
a measured response?

Red card for you buddy... we don't take too kindly to that 'round 'ere.

TBH, Id rather Hewitt over those three.

Same.
Buddy's contract is really hurting Sydney now.
Losing Alir to Port, and Hewitt looking for a new home. Both of them easily best 22.

Lloyd on L’Ob ... https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/11/matthew-lloyd-a-big-fan-of-young-carlton-pick-up/

‘Lloyd doesn’t believe the Blues are done yet in this trade period, adding to Damian Barrett’s report from last night that the club is open to trading wingman Lochie O’Brien to Collingwood.

“Lochie O’Brien is one that I think they’d be happy to let go, but it all centres around Jaidyn Stephenson,” he said.

Only reason we take a pick in the late 20s or early 30s is if it then enables a subsequent pick swap.

Assuming Collingwood get 28 and/or 30 for Stephenson. We take one of thoseand package it with 38 for Brisbane's 19.

Even then...feels bad. Lose LOB, take a late first selection in a weird draft.

Maybe salary cap considerations are in play. Don't know what LOB's contract would look like, but could well be that next year is a higher earning year for him. If the coaches don't expect him to play much, maybe the LM team see an advantage to be had in saving the difference between his wage and a draftee - frontload someone else's deal and free up some cap space for 2022 to help target another free agent.

Mathing it out:

If LOB is on $350k in 2021, then replacing him with a draftee on ~$100k frees up $250k next year.

Move $250k of Walsh's 2022 payment to 2021. He gets more money early, we know players like that - allows them to invest.

Now in 2022 we have an extra $250k of cap space :)

Last edited:
If we think that the Bulldogs' pick 14 is sufficient to get Cox or Reid, then I'd be willing to trade O'Brien to Collingwood if it netted us a pick that the Bulldogs would be willing to accept as part of a package for pick 14.

A lot of ifs but a developing tall, athletic defender to eventually replace Jones would be a better fit for the list than O'Brien IMO.

So, you're saying an A grade mid isn't a hole in our list... but then you say we'll get a better idea next year.

What's the biggest hole in our list right now?
I'm saying that I'm not convinced we need one at this stage, and if we do, that could still come from one of our existing players. We might already have that in Williams or Kemp.
Or, we may simply not need it. Cripps and Walsh surrounded by a competent ensemble might be enough.
There's no rule that you need 3 A graders to be successful. How many A grade mids do other teams have?

A small fwd is a more obvious deficiency in the list, but not necessarily a more pressing need.
With better structure and quality delivery, we could already have a good mix for a functioning and potent fwd line.

I'm happy to see what next year brings. What looks bad now, could appear less of an issue if we're fit and firing.

Yes, it would be incredibly satisfying to fu** with Dodo.

But it's not just Dodo.

(Take that, Dodo!)

(Then...)

Very probable... I think ODN pointed this out yesterday too. The question with that theory is did we really rate Fogarty that much? Was he really a fundamental trade target? If so, based on what? A few glimpses of what he's capable of when not injured? He's another mid being played as a small forward. It's a gamble which doesn't look like a big deal with what we gave up in reality, but if we really did have to give up the f2 we would've got from * then it is a big deal.

I think we need to wait and see if * can do anything with pick 8... if they split it with Brisbane for 18 + 19 or the Pies for 16 + f1...

Then you will see some people really cracking the shits.

It would mean that * were smart enough to extract the most value out of it as trade capital whilst we couldn't.

If they hold on to it, then it won't be such a big deal. Yeah it's overs for Saad but pick 8 in a compromised draft isn't going to worry me too much. We'd miss Will Philips and any KPD will take years to develop anyway.

Jeez, going to be some tough and potentially unnecessary calls made based on the new list size come 2021. Where has all this fuss come from? Because the AFL has to chip into TPP's (total player payments)?

I can't see who I'd be comfortable with being delisted, even Harrison Macreadie has upside as a 196cm key defender.. Really, Moore and Polson are the only two obvious omissions I see. Everyone else has hardly had a chance to prove themselves (i.e. Honey, Owies, Cottrell, Phillips, Philp, Ramsay)

Who the hell would we comfortably delist?

Jeez, going to be some tough and potentially unnecessary calls made based on the new list size come 2021. Where has all this fuss come from? Because the AFL has to chip into TPP's (total player payments)?

I can't see who I'd be comfortable with being delisted, even Harrison Macreadie has upside as a 196cm key defender.. Really, Moore and Polson are the only two obvious omissions I see. Everyone else has hardly had a chance to prove themselves (i.e. Honey, Owies, Cottrell, Phillips, Philp, Ramsay)

Who the hell would we comfortably delist?

macreadie is our only fb replacement ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back