Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could not be happier with bringing in Williams Saad and young Fogarty all add plenty to our list, skill & speed line breaking ball movement pressure and tackling.. Not too dwell on the Saad pick8 but i would have thought we would have had the opportunity for more options with our pick8 by splitting up or trading with another or multiple clubs for better placed picks... Maybe the club exhausted all possible scenarios, maybe things could have possibly been done differently, who knows, anyway also all the best to Doc with his recovery and Charlie how much bad luck can a kneecap give ya, we need him up a firing again...
Great inclusions, hopefully a healthy list, plenty of youngsters with upside for some it’s now time too step up... We’re going to be an exciting side to watch if we step up and click...

Best trade period since we got daisy

It'd wanna be, given his tools have been a long time in the making. He did a reasonable job, especially insofar as selling the Blues as the answer to Saad's interests at this stage of his career; and the Fogarty trade seems a good one. But let's not embellish for the sake of it. He'll get better. He gets a B.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not overly unhappy with the outcome or Austin per say. But I think it’s important to be honest in summing up our performance. AFL draft and trading is part of our game’s competitive environment. We paid overs. We could have handled the trade differently and performed better; importantly it’s reasonably likely that with SOS at the helm we would have performed better than we did. The bloke who Jake Niall referred to as holding a Richmond passport publicly underpinned his decision to replace SOS on the need to improve LM efficiency; and by consequence performance. That hasn’t been the case; he was wrong.

Now we move on
Objection your honour! Speculation!
Also can you say each of sos's deals was a win.
Let's assess again when more data is at hand.
Sos may not have got williams and saad to commit to us in the first instance.
I am a big sos fan btw.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

We may as well folded on day .1 if we weren't prepared to back up our maximum price then why drag on proceedings. Well done Dodoro. Not sure what is going on at the club but if I now wish we had SOS in our negotiations. Pick 14 equivalent when trading for an uncontacted player with no competition outside this club is outrageous. Dodoro controlled the agenda and waited patiently for us to fold. He knew we were bluffing.

We talk about grabbing players for the now which is kind of odd given Fogarty has 23 game experience and is unproven. 6 goals and 12 goal assists is not trading for the now. Maybe the future. We can add him to our overflowing stock of future potentials. Our need for a proven small forward is just as important as a running half back. Eddie's use by date has expired yet we will have to rely on an inexperienced Fogarty to jump in and deliver. No pressure on the kid :rolleyes:. Will be watching closely the careers of Higgins and Fogarty over the next couple of years.

I suppose once again we need to show faith in our decision makers but God help the club should we do not make the finals in 2021
Silvagni has been on radio all week saying that Carlton should use pick 8 on the Saad deal so I’m not sure he would have done much differently...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading pick 8 for Saad is absolutely, positively NOT overs.

Firstly: This is a triple-compromised draft. It's very unpredictable to start with beyond the top 3-5 players. It's impossible to predict even further because most of the players haven't played football in 15 months. And it's stacked with talent that is F/S or Academy linked. Pick 8 holds very little value to me this year. I'm much, much more furious about giving up pick 30 (that's a different post).

Secondly: We have Saad. A player who is in his prime, and importantly, plays a role that we desperately need, and that complements our existing talent. We have tall KP players, and solid defenders but we need a link between the two. One way to get it there is to slice teams open through the middle with kicking, as we did vs Bulldogs. But teams cottoned on to that, shut that down; and so we need a second route. Backup plan = Saad. IF teams sit back in the middle, he's a constantly active release who can run and draw players, break the lines, and open a different route forward. His kicking is sloppy at full pace; a real liability at times for Essendon's medium forwards who like to hit up on the lead. We don't - we have multiple aerial threats, who just need the ball in quickly and high.

Basically - Saad is a perfect fit and release option. Same with Williams - he isn't worth what we're paying him to anyone but Carlton, but he also gives us a fast, line-breaking inside/outside midfielder.

Third Reason: we don't need draft talent. We've got 8 midfielders on our list aged 22 and younger who were drafted in the top 30 (6 were drafted in the top 10). We also have 3x KP/Rucks who are 22 and younger who were drafted in the top 30. There's as much draft capital there as any team in the league and if that doesn't provide us with premiership-calibre talent, then we're in far bigger trouble than could be fixed by pick 8.

To sum it up: Saad is a perfect fit, pick 8 doesn't hold nearly the same value this year, and we don't need top 10 draft picks anyway (for now).
Hear hear 👍🏻👍🏻 Great summary and couldn’t agree more.

Time to mature mate. We have done well this trade period.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes we have got who we wanted, but considering that this has been going on for a week with Austin wanting something better back than pick 48, then it has been a loss. It was obviously always going to be pick 8 for Saad, but the fight to get more back from * for that pick has come to sweet bugger all.....(as Jack Elliott used to say!!!)

Great post FBI. it amazes me that it seems a lot of people are more concerned with winning trades and sticking it to other clubs than they are about being successful on field. Give me Premierships any day of the week over a perception of being a club that wins at the trade table.
Agreed, for the first time since 2014 we have diluted our first rd pick, we have gone hard at the draft for 6 years and now trading to complete the list, was always going to happen, payed a bit extra for what we wanted but 2021 draft still in tact, go blues

Agreed, for the first time since 2014 we have diluted our first rd pick, we have gone hard at the draft for 6 years and now trading to complete the list, was always going to happen, payed a bit extra for what we wanted but 2021 draft still in tact, go blues

GWS wanted a first for Marchbank.

SOS played chicken for two weeks and ended up giving away Tuohy and a very early second for that precious first rounder to get Marchbank. We ended up losing Tuohy for almost nothing.

Even SOS (who I think was a brilliant wheeler and dealer) blinked when he had to..
Blink in the last hour, not when the Bombers need to get 5 trades done.

Again, not an ideal way to spend a top 10 pick, but at the end of the day have to commend them for identifying what they want to build the side with and then going after players that have speed, aggression and damaging kicking skills, even it we had to pay overs.

Teaguey looks like he's on a mission to build a side with players that are hard at it. Going to be very important come crunch time in the big games.

We certainly needed some speed out of defence, and we have now appeared to fix that issue.
I don't mind if we paid slightly overs. As someone else said, its time to stop worrying about winning trade, and start winning games of footy.
Let Dodo worry about winning every trade.

Glaad to get Saad.

If we haad to use pick 8 to get him then so be it, but I don’t understand why we wouldn’t be letting the clock tick down to the last minute on that deal to put pressure on Essendon. I don’t necessarily underestimate their stupidity - there was more than a zero chance that they would have picked him in the PSD even though he didn’t want to play there, but you have to at least see if the rhetoric is posturing and that’s something that would become clearer in the last 5 minutes before the deadline....

We certainly needed some speed out of defence, and we have now appeared to fix that issue.
I don't mind if we paid slightly overs. As someone else said, its time to stop worrying about winning trade, and start winning games of footy.
Let Dodo worry about winning every trade.

Essendon lost Daniher, Saad, Fantasia and McKenna. That's a real dent into their squad and it's not even that they lost them that makes for the concern but for why they lost them.
At least three of those four didn't want to be there and then there's others that wanted to move out but couldn't, given their contract; Merrett.

I don't know how they'll 'win' this year given the underlying issues at the club. Lots has to change....maybe even the coach that hasn't coached yet.

I don’t want to be a downer but it was a malignant cancer.
Caught early means no spill of cells outsude tumour. Likely no need for systemic chemo or radiation..or maybe a small targeted amount. Every reason for optimism.

We got what we wanted, Saad. Not bent over. We paid overs but, we got what we needed. Not wanted, needed. We chased, we pay. I get the OOC stuff but that is the system. Until OOC players are free agents in the truest sense (unlikely to happen) these situations will continue. Would you want a first for Doc?
This^ I was on the verge of a melt Tuesday night, with the proposed trade, but the additional pick swaps together with getting Fogarty for bugger all softened the deal. Yes we paid overs, but we didn't get reamed and got a reason able pick back as well as an upgrade on a nothing pick.

Saad 100% addresses a need, but I still think we need a mid full, even cheap cannon fodder, feed it out to the new blokes.

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

LOB vs Caldwell on paper:

Caldwell far ahead in tackles, but apart from that theyre line ball. Former picks 10/11 in the last few years, but LOB has 36 games under his belt.

Whatever Essendon pay for Caldwell should set the expectation for what LOB should be worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back