Bluemour Melting Pot XXVIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah naaaah

Club Captain is a serious commitment and repsonsibility - especially at a Club like Carlton. put your hand up - and you have a reponsibility to play at the Club for as long as the Club wants you too and it is the Club's responsibility to make sure you are paid what you are worth plus some.
It's a two way street.

Menzel killed his own career through his attitude. He has nobody else but himself to blame for wasting his opportunity. Lucas, I don't know but you know sometimes you can pick the wrong player, not everyone picked goes on to have a long career in the AFL.

Was speaking to someone with connections to the 2009 draft & their thoughts were that Sugar got roasted with his development at CFC.

Started out very well in his 1st season.

I don't know what kind of BBQ people have been smoking here, but the last 12 - 15 games since moving as a roaming forward pocket player, Fisher has been invaluable. Hardly a passenger at all, been very creative and we sorely miss the pressure and energy he provides.

Been a massive out for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually am starting to buy in to the ‘selfish’ spin that has been labelled on Cripps.

2018:
- Signed a two year extension, putting him OOC in time for FA (chasing $$$ inadvertently putting pressure on the club)

2019:
- On the back of good individual form, Had a big part in pressuring the club into the appointment of Caretaker Teague particularly in the media

(despite the club stating that they were going to conduct formalised process and didn’t want a coach with training wheels)

2020:
- Played the majority of the year supposedly ‘injured’

- Missed Top 10 in the BnF due to poor form

- Continual spin/jargonin the media regarding contract negotiations (“love the club etc, expect it to be done soon”)

- Returns to WA, rumours swirling that he had made contact with clubs in WA despite being club captain and he would not continue if we didn’t make finals..

2021:
- Poor onfield form continues, more injury cloud concerns, holding off contract talks..

Overall view:
Essentially with all of that taken into account along with the club’s overall performances being abysmal on the field I think that ‘selfish’ label is 100 percent warranted.

At least Bryce Gibbs gave it a fair crack in his final year, Cripps looks a shadow of the player he was disinterested, self entitled.

Let him walk in my opinion, take Cerra on $750k and a first rounder from Freo. Sick of the circus around it to be honest.

My view

I actually am starting to buy in to the ‘selfish’ spin that has been labelled on Cripps.

2018:
- Signed a two year extension, putting him OOC in time for FA (chasing $$$ inadvertently putting pressure on the club)

2019:
- On the back of good individual form, Had a big part in pressuring the club into the appointment of Caretaker Teague particularly in the media

(despite the club stating that they were going to conduct formalised process and didn’t want a coach with training wheels)

2020:

- Continual spin/jargonin the media regarding contract negotiations (“love the club etc, expect it to be done soon”)

- Returns to WA, rumours swirling that he had made contact with clubs in WA despite being club captain and he would not continue if we didn’t make finals..

2021:
- Poor onfield form continues, more injury cloud concerns, holding off contract talks..

Overall view:
Essentially with all of that taken into account along with the club’s overall performances being abysmal on the field I think that ‘selfish’ label is 100 percent warranted.

At least Bryce Gibbs gave it a fair crack in his final year, Cripps looks a shadow of the player he was disinterested, self entitled.

Let him walk in my opinion, take Cerra on $750k and a first rounder from Freo. Sick of the circus around it to be honest.

My view

Good points, makes some sense when you lay it out like that.. :thumbsupv1:
We are getting smashed from pillar to post in the media. Cripps is our Captain, Crippa make a decision FFS

Last edited:

2018:

2019:

2020:

2021:

Overall view:

My view
Respectfully disagree.

I don’t believe playing through injury is selfish, if anything it’s selfless as the best player on our list over the last 5 years. Kreuzer did this for 50% of his career.

I don’t think we can say he pressured anyone to appoint Teague. The selectors would have asked for his opinion though as captain. Let’s face it when Teague took over he brought us from 1 win to 7 in half a season, he had his name chanted at presidential lunches.

Cripps has never backed away from publicly declaring his commitment to the club. He signed on in a Two win season as the Eagles were winning a flag. Can’t see him leaving this year either.

2018:

2019:

2020:

2021:

Overall view:

My view
Fair result in my view. Combine that with getting the best out of Cunners, Setters, Petrevski-Seton, Dow and O’Brien (three at the very least) and we would be 4-2 on a similar draw next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where our biggest problem lies and its turnovers. Can not win if just going to be giving the ball back everytime for a free hit. These stats are only for midfield turnovers which obviously doe not include defence and forward. Damming really.

David King and Daniel Hoyne reveal the stat cruelling Carlton, St Kilda. Turning the ball over is bad, but what Carlton and St Kilda are doing next threatens to destroy their seasons. It’s the stat that is blinking red in the Carlton and St Kilda coaches boxes.
This season 40 per cent of scores across the competition have come from midfield turnovers — and no teams pay more for gifting the ball back to their opposition than the Blues and Saints.
Both teams concede more than seven goals a game from turnovers between the forward and defensive arcs.“To compete and be up there with the best teams in the competition you cannot be leaking scores in this part of the ground,” Champion Data analyst Daniel Hoyne said on this week’s episode of Pure Footy, the serious footy analysis show exclusive every week to heraldsun.com.au.
The Western Bulldogs lead the AFL after six rounds in defending midfield turnovers, conceding just 112 points from this source. In comparison, Carlton has given up 272 points and St Kilda 268 — the equivalent of an extra 4.4 goals per game.
“The fact that (the Blues) are giving up the most points in the competition in this part of the game is the sheer reason alone why they are sitting 2-4 on the ladder,” Hoyne said.
“On the weekend they gave up 55 points to Brisbane in this area, that’s 10 points more than their average and significantly worse than the AFL average.“St Kilda are giving up just under 45 points per game in this area of the ground — only Carlton have given up more — and that’s another sheer reason why they are sitting with a 2-4 win-loss record.

2018:

2019:

2020:

2021:

Overall view:

My view
your a stand up comedian right?....................

your a stand up comedian right?....................

Some might argue I’m a comedian…particularly being so staunchly loyal to a club which has been mediocre for the better half of two decades.

I’m being a realist mate, if you don’t think Cripps has one foot out the door you’re a nuffie.

I truly can understand the reasons why he would want to move back to WA, his missus has been struggling mentally, his family are there, both WA clubs are in striking distance of a flag in the next couple of years and he will earn squillions

If his missus has a vice grip on his balls like mine does I’d be moving too.

I’m purely stating the facts from one eyed Carlton supporter to another.

I’m passionate about the club, but I’m intuitive enough to pick up when somebody is bullshitting and I’ll happily eat my hat if he does re-sign. Facts are Cripps dishes out the same old jargon in the media about his contract and nothing happens.

I love the club more than I love the player, at the moment, until big Cripps starts tearing games apart again, I can’t put up with his delayed contract rubbish…would be furious at the club if they gave him $1 million+ now after the types of performances he has been dishing up. Why not target a younger Cerra with way more upside on 750k, bank a first round draft pick and some salary cap relief???

Honestly, he could be injured but his performances have been no better than Brock McLean’s during his stint at the club (not even an exaggeration). At least he could kick a crucial goal at his best…

2018:

2019:

2020:

2021:

Overall view:

My view
I don’t know what he’s gonna do but I think the clubs coddled him way to much especially for a player who’s a free agent at the end of the year. He’s selfish or whatever you want to brand it because the club let it happen. The accountability isn’t there, it feels like he’s playing us like a fiddle because the club is doing the same thing. Cain Liddle has said “there’s nothing to worry about with his contract situation”, the coach said “he’s the most invested captain they had ever seen” and yet you feel that Cripps is the one lying to you... that tells me that whatever is happening behind closed doors is spilling out on the field. Even Cripps had mention on a podcast that “he’s finding ways to seperate the person to the footballer” but he’s struggling mate. There’s a plague at this footy club and he’s just the symptom, not the disease.

I watched the Dyl and Friends podcast with the Ball Magnets theme. He had Cripps, Mitchell, Neale and Rowell on.

When Dyl asked about a player they would love to play with, Cripps said he'd love to feeding off Natanui's ruck taps. When asked about teams up there for the flag or something like that, he named West Coast.

It did make me think about whether he would like to play for the Eagles at some point.

I watched the Dyl and Friends podcast with the Ball Magnets theme. He had Cripps, Mitchell, Neale and Rowell on.

When Dyl asked about a player they would love to play with, Cripps said he'd love to feeding off Natanui's ruck taps. When asked about teams up there for the flag or something like that, he named West Coast.

It did make me think about whether he would like to play for the Eagles at some point.
I was stunned after that as well. Here’s the Carlton FC captain who’s a free agent at the end of the year just frothing over the team he’s rumoured to go to. Surprised that no one in the media picked up on that. It’s a bad look.

The only issue that I see is Cripps picked a player from a WA club. But as a centre clearance player, Nic Nat is actually a great choice. As for the WA clubs flag contender question. Well, isn’t it West Coast? :p

Just for reference as I didn’t listen to the podcast. Were the other players asked the question?

Last edited:
I’m being a realist mate, if you don’t think Cripps has one foot out the door you’re a nuffie.
Our CEO came out and said Cripps’ signature is not far away. Fact. Cripps has always been loyal to Carlton so far whenever questioned or whenever his contract is expiring despite us being horrendous for his whole career. Fact.

I truly can understand the reasons why he would want to move back to WA, his missus has been struggling mentally, his family are there, both WA clubs are in striking distance of a flag in the next couple of years and he will earn squillions

If his missus has a vice grip on his balls like mine does I’d be moving too.

I’m purely stating the facts from one eyed Carlton supporter to another.

I’m passionate about the club, but I’m intuitive enough to pick up when somebody is bullshitting and I’ll happily eat my hat if he does re-sign. Facts are Cripps dishes out the same old jargon in the media about his contract and nothing happens.
A lot of this is rumour and conjecture. Not facts.

Honestly, he could be injured but his performances have been no better than Brock McLean’s during his stint at the club (not even an exaggeration). At least he could kick a crucial goal at his best…

That's an excellent comparison based on his form over the last 12 months...

This is where our biggest problem lies and its turnovers. Can not win if just going to be giving the ball back everytime for a free hit. These stats are only for midfield turnovers which obviously doe not include defence and forward. Damming really.

David King and Daniel Hoyne reveal the stat cruelling Carlton, St Kilda. Turning the ball over is bad, but what Carlton and St Kilda are doing next threatens to destroy their seasons. It’s the stat that is blinking red in the Carlton and St Kilda coaches boxes.
This season 40 per cent of scores across the competition have come from midfield turnovers — and no teams pay more for gifting the ball back to their opposition than the Blues and Saints.
Both teams concede more than seven goals a game from turnovers between the forward and defensive arcs.“To compete and be up there with the best teams in the competition you cannot be leaking scores in this part of the ground,” Champion Data analyst Daniel Hoyne said on this week’s episode of Pure Footy, the serious footy analysis show exclusive every week to heraldsun.com.au.
The Western Bulldogs lead the AFL after six rounds in defending midfield turnovers, conceding just 112 points from this source. In comparison, Carlton has given up 272 points and St Kilda 268 — the equivalent of an extra 4.4 goals per game.
“The fact that (the Blues) are giving up the most points in the competition in this part of the game is the sheer reason alone why they are sitting 2-4 on the ladder,” Hoyne said.
“On the weekend they gave up 55 points to Brisbane in this area, that’s 10 points more than their average and significantly worse than the AFL average.“St Kilda are giving up just under 45 points per game in this area of the ground — only Carlton have given up more — and that’s another sheer reason why they are sitting with a 2-4 win-loss record.

It’s stark, yet not doom and gloom.

It’s abundantly crystal clear what’s going wrong, it’s not a malaise as what a lot of people on here are making us out to be and evidently fixable to a point.

The point is the coaching group have been training our current game plan for many months, so making changes to that plan is not an easy thing to do on the run but if we have a very coachable group of players it’s not something that is impossible and could quite quickly happen.

It’s important though not to over correct as there more areas we are doing well in than not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back