Blues v Hawks Venting thread - keep it all in here

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't drop all of your star players to motivate them. Most of them are stars in the first place, because they have the ability to motivate themselves.

On top of the players already missing, you want to axe Gibbs and Murphy, and Henderson and Thornton.

Do you feel like showing me what next week's side will look like and if it would be worth losing another four points on the off chance that it may alter some individual mindsets?

You simply do not axe every player for what was a flat, fumbling, miserable team performance.

Fair point you make and thats your opinion, and my I will stick with mine.

I dont believe in "untouchables", and it hurts a lot to say this, but, look at our arch enemy,(cant bring myself to type their name) they are a bunch of average players, yet are better than us, why? TEAMWORK, COMRADERIE,HEART etc....

Also I have been watching footy flashbacks a lot recently and admire their love and intensity for the contest, NO BIG BUCKS, WORK FULL TIME etc...

These spoilt kids get too much money straight away, have not served an apprenticeship of any sort to know the value of a dollar in the real, tough world. They get looked after, "babysat" so they cant **** up.... and this how we get repaid for investing in memberships?

Agree to disagree.... very passionate and disheartened. We have all the flair and skills like apollo creed in the "Rocky" movies, but none of the effort,will and heart that "Rocky" had.

is stocking up on mids the cause of gibbs being 'wasted'? he was on motlop last week. you can't fit them all in the middle and consequently gibbs is one being shunted around, a little bit like a younger russell? i wouldn't say i'm totally against the more and more mids idea, but their form has to suffer if you're trying to fit all of them on the park in other positions.

Is it just me or is Gibbs very down on form and not hurting the opposition much?? Today especially he just seemed to run around without much heart and enthusiasm and seemed to be just going through the motions.

I know he is a well liked player and i dont mind him either but i am expecting more from him to be honest.

Ratten playing him deep in defence isn't helping WTF is with that

We will get beaten by West Coast next week due to our injury situation.

Not enough speed, players played in wrong positions etc.
We have a need for speed. Get Grigg in ? as short time replacement for Sugar?

Brisbane and Hawthorn both beat us due to the morale boost they get from having big forwards who can dominate matches. Although Jamison battled hard and was committed we need a bigger body down there - and I would think Henderson would be better in defence than attack.

He just doesn't do it for me in attack - he upsets the balance between Sentanta and the 3 helpers. He is a bit like Thornton but in attack. Henderson may need time to develop, and may be a good long term option, but we don't have time on our side to experiment.

Henderson has good moments, but is a bit one dimensional in speed, but many will point to his 3 goals as evidence of his worth. And he may be great in the future, but many will also point to Thornton's many possessions as a guide for his worth, but unless Thornton can kick forward instead of sideways, and break lines he isn't a long term option.

A very sad, lamentable day for Carlton.

Thought Anderson and Robertson lad did enough to suggest they should keep their place...especially with all the injuries.

Fair point you make and thats your opinion, and my I will stick with mine.

I dont believe in "untouchables", and it hurts a lot to say this, but, look at our arch enemy,(cant bring myself to type their name) they are a bunch of average players, yet are better than us, why? TEAMWORK, COMRADERIE,HEART etc....

Also I have been watching footy flashbacks a lot recently and admire their love and intensity for the contest, NO BIG BUCKS, WORK FULL TIME etc...

These spoilt kids get too much money straight away, have not served an apprenticeship of any sort to know the value of a dollar in the real, tough world. They get looked after, "babysat" so they cant **** up.... and this how we get repaid for investing in memberships?

Agree to disagree.... very passionate and disheartened. We have all the flair and skills like apollo creed in the "Rocky" movies, but none of the effort,will and heart that "Rocky" had.

You don't drop star players every time they throw in a bad performance though. Why? Because they ARE stars and as such have pride in their performance and will invariably fire up next week.

Drop Gibbs and Murphy and you are just conceding four points to the Eagles next week, just to make a point. The point has already been made when Waite and Thornton were dropped. Should we really assume the players think they are untouchable when they have a bad game and set out to discipline every one of them?

What would your side be next week? I would be very interested in seeing it. Please post it.

Can Jacobs please kick the ball after a mark? He hands it off far too often.. Just thump it inside 50 or something

Why o why does the MC consider Anderson a fringe player. He does not cut it, not he's fault we lost today and he did try but please, no more! Sorry joey but you'll have to be my scapegoat (again) for this loss

You don't drop star players every time they throw in a bad performance though. Why? Because they ARE stars and as such have pride in their performance and will invariably fire up next week.

Drop Gibbs and Murphy and you are just conceding four points to the Eagles next week, just to make a point. The point has already been made when Waite and Thornton were dropped. Should we really assume the players think they are untouchable when they have a bad game and set out to discipline every one of them?

What would your side be next week? I would be very interested in seeing it. Please post it.

Firstly, I dont think the point has been made. How long did we put up with Fev's antics? Already better without him, but wasted a few years of development of other players, which would have made us a better team than we are now. Dropping Waite, big deal, he was underdone and back from a long term knee injury, did not derserve his spot and he would be first to admit that! Thornton belongs in the twos he is no longer up to AFL standards and will be cut at years end. A REAL message has not been sent.... Seriously, maybe they will (GIBBS especially) appreciate the PRIVELEDGE of being an AFL player with a big pay cheque if itwas suddenly taken away. Do you think rewarding that performance is a good idea?

White went off with what looked like a knee injury. Johnson went off with a possible shoulder injury.

There were a few guys out there carrying knocks from the treatment being handed out to them by the Dawks.

And essentially, we were down to 1 man on the bench in the last quarter.
radio said wrist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kreuzer is needed in the ruck, but if he could do something similar to what that Essendon ruckman does where he runs down to forward line and gets a couple of goals - that would lift morale.

Kreuzer works hard but is often chasing people 10 metres behind. Would like to see him impact more games. Next week will be difficult though against West Coast.

I m ready to vent.

1. Why are we the only team that dont know that if you go down with the ball you then cannot show the umpires your hands as if to say "Look sir, I haven't got it": free kick everytime. Scotty did it and I am not sure why Hendo would do the same 15 metres out from goal. Would it not be better to fight and try to free it. I can remember Lappin getting pinged on this about a dozen times in his last year.

2. Setanta killed the contest by that rush of blood. He kicks that and we come in at 3 quarter time hand slapping instead of shaking our heads. You could see Ratts and Bradley walking on the ground discussing what they could do with him. He has been in the game a fair while now and it is the highest level, shouldn't we expect a little bit more.

3. When they pay a 50 for giving the ball back high and sloppy like Rioli did,you can bet the umpires are looking for a match-up to make them look fair. Carrazo gives it to them.

4. Ratts threw in the towel in the last by letting them play the extra man down the back effectively ending the game. We were 40 points down, couldn't we roll the dice just a little and swing our extra man into the forward line to stop it.

5. Why the play on everytime when a look up and kick to position would be better, Yarran handballed to Scotty, Sauce to Judd etc etc

6. There is a reason other clubs allow that stupid little kick from full back into the pocket next to the boundary. F**K.

Positives:

1. I dont know what Robinson did to be banished for so long but he is the only factor that made me smile today.

2. Sauce is great in marking and taps but does need to trust his kicking rather than give off everytime.

3. I don't know why people are bagging Gibbs, he has that "not trying too hard" style that nobody complains about when we win. I actuyally thought he was alright today.

4. Simmo, if everyone had your balls:eek:

Johnson Wrist
Yarran Quad Was worked on FOR AGES
White Shoulder, also complained of something in thigh area, maybe corky? and was talking to medico for quite a while.

I was near the bench and thats what i saw.:thumbsu:

Look everyone's upset, but I don't think we should be concerned for the following reasons

1: We're still a VERY young side, we have shown great signs this year in thumping Geelong and St Kilda, but over the next 1-2 years we will have off days, everyone does. Just look at Geelong from 2004-2006, it really took them three years before they gunned it in 2007. They always had the talent, it just takes time to consistently perform at a high level every week.

2: We played with only 2 players on the bench after half time. That makes it extremely tough. We came hard for a period in the third quarter but didn't have the legs to run it out. Hopefully we aren't that unlucky with injuries ever again.

3: I think Hawthorn are a lot better than people give them credit for. They have a substantial proportion of their list from 2008, they have had injury problems in 09 and the start of 2010 that prevented them playing at their best, unfortunately we got them after most of their guns had returned and had played for 2-3 weeks (eg Sewell, Franklin, Burgoyne).

4: We remain on track for the top 8, which was always the aim this year.

Chin up fellas

vent>

Why the hell do we have two ruckman contest ball ups in our fwd 50?

Why the hell are we the only team in the AFL that never sets up with an extra defender

The only vent that I have is that we were very ordinary, hawthorn were a pack of feral thugs and the umpires let them do what they liked to us.

If Renouf doesnt get hauled up before the MRC for his deliberate hit on Robbo in the third, 30m away from the ball then we are getting the shaft again from the AFL.

The camera angle may just save Renouf, but it didn't look good. Stupid by him.

But, I disagree with the fact we were "feral thugs" and it pisses me off a fair bit that you think this. It's football, not netball. Contact is encouraged. We were tough at the ball, if that's being "feral thugs" well then, I'll cop that.

It looked to me like today we were just harder at the ball, and harder in the packs. That's the reason we won. Umpires weren't great, but you got your fair share as did we.

Bit disappointing about the possible injuries you guys got. Do you know if they're serious? I hope not for the Blues' sake.

I m ready to vent.

1. Why are we the only team that dont know that if you go down with the ball you then cannot show the umpires your hands as if to say "Look sir, I haven't got it": free kick everytime. Scotty did it and I am not sure why Hendo would do the same 15 metres out from goal. Would it not be better to fight and try to free it. I can remember Lappin getting pinged on this about a dozen times in his last year.

It depends on who you are - before half time Hodge put both his hands in the air to show Carrots was holding it to him : NO FREE
Scotty doing his damedest v 3 get told by Ump he had one hand free: FREE AGAINST

2. Setanta killed the contest by that rush of blood. He kicks that and we come in at 3 quarter time hand slapping instead of shaking our heads. You could see Ratts and Bradley walking on the ground discussing what they could do with him. He has been in the game a fair while now and it is the highest level, shouldn't we expect a little bit more.

Did he really not have a kick for the day - no more newspaper stories

3. When they pay a 50 for giving the ball back high and sloppy like Rioli did,you can bet the umpires are looking for a match-up to make them look fair. Carrazo gives it to them.

4. Ratts threw in the towel in the last by letting them play the extra man down the back effectively ending the game. We were 40 points down, couldn't we roll the dice just a little and swing our extra man into the forward line to stop it.

5. Why the play on everytime when a look up and kick to position would be better, Yarran handballed to Scotty, Sauce to Judd etc etc

6. There is a reason other clubs allow that stupid little kick from full back into the pocket next to the boundary. F**K.

This is a MAJOR PROBLEM for us and on the other side they brought it in with ease

Positives:

1. I dont know what Robinson did to be banished for so long but he is the only factor that made me smile today.

2. Sauce is great in marking and taps but does need to trust his kicking rather than give off everytime.

3. I don't know why people are bagging Gibbs, he has that "not trying too hard" style that nobody complains about when we win. I actuyally thought he was alright today.

4. Simmo, if everyone had your balls:eek:

Look everyone's upset, but I don't think we should be concerned for the following reasons

1: We're still a VERY young side, we have shown great signs this year in thumping Geelong and St Kilda, but over the next 1-2 years we will have off days, everyone does. Just look at Geelong from 2004-2006, it really took them three years before they gunned it in 2007. They always had the talent, it just takes time to consistently perform at a high level every week.

2: We played with only 2 players on the bench after half time. That makes it extremely tough. We came hard for a period in the third quarter but didn't have the legs to run it out. Hopefully we aren't that unlucky with injuries ever again.

3: I think Hawthorn are a lot better than people give them credit for. They have a substantial proportion of their list from 2008, they have had injury problems in 09 and the start of 2010 that prevented them playing at their best, unfortunately we got them after most of their guns had returned and had played for 2-3 weeks (eg Sewell, Franklin, Burgoyne).

4: We remain on track for the top 8, which was always the aim this year.

Chin up fellas

Gee newbies are smart nowadays

This game reminded me of the Collingwood game. Handballing to much, tackles not sticking and even the 3rd quarter glimpse of hope.
I'm just glad it's over and bring on West Coast next week

Firstly, I dont think the point has been made. How long did we put up with Fev's antics? Already better without him, but wasted a few years of development of other players, which would have made us a better team than we are now. Dropping Waite, big deal, he was underdone and back from a long term knee injury, did not derserve his spot and he would be first to admit that! Thornton belongs in the twos he is no longer up to AFL standards and will be cut at years end. A REAL message has not been sent.... Seriously, maybe they will (GIBBS especially) appreciate the PRIVELEDGE of being an AFL player with a big pay cheque if itwas suddenly taken away. Do you think rewarding that performance is a good idea?
Surely most of us recognise that Fev was the exception more than the norm.

Also when Fev was bad, he was one of our worst onfield AND it permeated through the rest of the team as they did all the hard work to get it to him.

Gibbs and Murphy have never been at a point where they are so bad that a replacement would be better and have not been affecting morale if they are little quiet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues v Hawks Venting thread - keep it all in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back