Blues v Hawks Venting thread - keep it all in here

Remove this Banner Ad

It just wasn't our day. You could tell in the first 5 minutes, the same as the Essendon and Collingwood games. Hopefully we can iron out these poor efforts.

The loss of Waite and Bower made it really difficult for you to control Buddy & Roughy today.

You are a better team than what you showed today and i would be very surprised if you don't push for a top 4 spot if you can keep your best side out on the park.

Sorry to impose on your board.

Just a quick question as to how you felt Tom Murphy did on Betts?

I didn't see much of Betts all game (on tv) but was Tom Murphy the reason he did so badly?

I saw Guerra on him as well at times and I have yet to see the replay.

Betts, Yarran & Garlett all suffered from the way the ball was delivered into our forward line. Their strength has been getting in behind opposition defences, settling up plenty of goals from inside 20 metres. The pressure applied up field by the Hawks meant our running defenders & our midfield were not able to provide quality delivery to our forwards.

It wouldn't have mattered who was playing on our 3 Amigos today, they would still have struggled.

You sure could tell, Carrazzo kicks on his left only had to kick 30 metres over the Hawks player, couldn't do it.

Johnson does the same thing on his right foot.

Kreuzer fumbles a mark he should of swallowed.

Really woeful effort, I reckon we will make a mess of our suposedly easy run coming up.

I didn't see much of Betts all game (on tv) but was Tom Murphy the reason he did so badly?

Delivery to Betts was very, very bad all day. Actually, our kicking efficiency was a dramatic let down. It had been so very good lately. When we lose it's our efficiency that is the first thing that seems to disappear.

Excellent pressure by Murphy, however. I'd be very pleased in his performance if I were a Hawthorn fan. Was much harder at it than Betts was today.

Betts is a confidence player - when he gets on a roll (eg. St Kilda game) he's nigh on impossible to stop. However, when you get him under pressure and he has to fight back from a deficit he has a tendency to disappear.

As far as other notes on the game....

I was pleased with what I saw skill wise from Henderson today. I can understand where people say that he's a problem in the short term in that he's not developed enough to be as potent as he can be but I was impressed enough to back off from giving him the dreaded 'bust' label. We must tread carefully in regards to how he fits into the team and with the team structure itself. It's become clear that we do so much better with a roving centre half forward (the position Jarrad Waite played so well the past month) yet we have to give opportunity to Henderson to develop.

As good as O'hAilpin has been to the side is he irreplacable in regards to a potential of dropping him in favor of sticking with Henderson and bringing Waite back into the side. Could a Carlton team play Waite, Henderson and Setanta (obviously not all three in the forward line at the same time)?

As far as Bryce Gibbs goes.... I believe that it is a flat out waste of the guy's natural football talents and abilities to be playing him in the defensive half of the field. However, in saying that, I don't believe that deep down the match committee or the coaching staff believe that the club is any chance at winning the premiership this year (truly, we aren't) and that they are also confident in re-signing Gibbs. If that is the case then perhaps what the objective is to make him gain a greater understanding and appreciation for the defensive side of the game (and shed him from the 'downhill skier' label).

I believe that the club really ought to look at which players on our current list will and will not have the opportunity of representing Carlton in our next premiership side. Had a small discussion with a guy in the Ballarat train who pointed out that we wouldn't win a premiership with Carrazzo in the lineup. I do agree with that. I would also point out that we will not win a premiership with T-Bird in the lineup. Joe Anderson isn't up to the AFL standard (don't understand what purpose he serves; doesn't have a true position at this level) and there are kids who are borderline. I'd personally replace them with younger players who could make or break themselves as senior footballers and with the stalwarts who come back from injury/suspension.

Hawthorn was very hard at the body today. I wouldn't call all (some very much was so, I wouldn't be surprised if three or four incidents got picked up by the match review committee) of their tactics dirty, but they were excessive at times. Also, I love the way in which they on three or four different occasions were allowed to deliberately rush behinds. The law was introduced to stop this style of defensive play yet repeatedly they did it and got away with it. If there is a rule there, enforce the bloody thing.

The umpires were an absolute farce today - topping it off with the stupid call on O'hAilpin. However, I'm sick to bloody death of this Carlton side repeatedly going to water shortly after a call or two is badly called against them. It's not the first time that I've seen classic cases of 'give up syndrome' with this football side. We need someone who will take the bull by its horns and put some pressure back into the game. Obviously, it was Waite's turn last week - but it cost us one, maybe two games. While it won us the game the cost was too great.

Finally, after last weeks epic performance in Adelaide, which was an excruciatingly physical game I have to admit that I went into todays game fearing a major let down. I took my girlfriend's son to the football for his first ever game today and told him on the train to the game not to expect a Carlton win and predicted Hawthorn by 10 goals. I'm not the betting type and if I were I would never bet against my team, but if were today (especially with the odds we entered the game with) would have been the game to do so (and I said as much before the game).

Unfortunately Eddie has a higher opinion of himself than he should.

Tom Murphy is the worst player playing AFL.

Not the reason for Eddie's game today.

Maybe it was because Eddie decided wearing a long sleeve jumper was a good idea.

Eddie needs to grow up.

Could a Carlton team play Waite, Henderson and Setanta (obviously not all three in the forward line at the same time)?

Definitely. Setanta FF, Henderson CHF, Waite goes to the wing (assuming a full backline so we don't need him down there), where he becomes a crucial linkman who the opposition can't match up on, but can still get into the forwardline and kick goals.

Betts, Yarran & Garlett all suffered from the way the ball was delivered into our forward line. Their strength has been getting in behind opposition defences, settling up plenty of goals from inside 20 metres. The pressure applied up field by the Hawks meant our running defenders & our midfield were not able to provide quality delivery to our forwards.

It wouldn't have mattered who was playing on our 3 Amigos today, they would still have struggled.
I actually think the defence ( work to do but heading in right direction ) & midfield are getting the job done. Gibbs is excellent ( wouldn't talk him down boys) & Murphy will only get better; Kade Simpson is one of the more reliable midfielders in the comp, rucks are good, delivery out of half back much, much improved from last year or two, but the forward set-up is way out there...brilliant when the devil & the the holy trinity choose to function as they did against Paints & Cattahs , but when it doesn't PLAN B is called for - maybe Henderson, but raw as..will need time & patience. Not sure if the 3 smalls in F50 will win the big games on a consistent basis. Personally prefer Garlett of the three.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish people would stop blaming Waite. Yeah he got suspended for a pretty stupid bump but there were 22 players out there today who had a bigger influence on the result. Yes, the umpires allowed the Hawks to get away with some cheep stuff, but I don't think I saw 1 of our players give it back or stick up for their teammates. If you allow the opposition get away with this crap they will do it all day. Judd needs to work on his disposal as well. Awesome player he is, but has to be more damaging by foot.

I actually think the defence ( work to do but heading in right direction ) & midfield are getting the job done. Gibbs is excellent ( wouldn't talk him down boys) & Murphy will only get better; Kade Simpson is one of the more reliable midfielders in the comp, rucks are good, delivery out of half back much, much improved from last year or two, but the forward set-up is way out there...brilliant when the devil & the the holy trinity choose to function as they did against Paints & Cattahs , but when it doesn't PLAN B is called for - maybe Henderson, but raw as..will need time & patience. Not sure if the 3 smalls in F50 will win the big games on a consistent basis. Personally prefer Garlett of the three.

You've turned up like a fart in a space suit.

Don't need your advice tonight sunshine.

Thank's anyway.

Agree Houlihan was a big out today. I also think that Waite and Bower are importart to our team's structure and will make a big difference when they return.

Yep, forgetting form, if you had told us we would beat a near full strength Hawthorn w/o Bower or Waites we would have been incredulous

The 3 Amigos have to have more than one string to their bow - they surely should be good crumbers and two are renowned for applying defensive pressure on their day. Gee Eddy is even a fairly good lead up forward so I am not as forgiving as you msr

He had a shocker last week but his swooping pace onto a ball wins me as a fan - Yazza might say he is faster but he mostly only shows it to run someone down (not that this a bad thing)

I was thinking the same thing Sin. I guess he could have been one of those SEN - long time listener/first time caller ie a BF reader for a long time before joining :confused: Fervy - what would that be
I just thought it was interesting that he has all the same favourite teams as Ytoojae?????

Wish people would stop blaming Waite. Yeah he got suspended for a pretty stupid bump but there were 22 players out there today who had a bigger influence on the result. Yes, the umpires allowed the Hawks to get away with some cheep stuff, but I don't think I saw 1 of our players give it back or stick up for their teammates. If you allow the opposition get away with this crap they will do it all day. Judd needs to work on his disposal as well. Awesome player he is, but has to be more damaging by foot.

We were weak as p!ss in this aspect of the contest all day today. It wasn't only Waite's athleticism we missed today - we really lack that crucial bit of mongrel and won't be a realistic grand finalist unitl we find/develop it. :mad:

2 points I want to make

Firstly, I honestly don't know about you guys, but I fear that complacency will be a major issue with this group going forward, because after watching today's game, it was evident from the bounce that we rocked up thinking we'd already won the game

It was obvious as early as Monday last week that we were complacent after Gibbsy's claim that 'we can go all the way', this was bizarre in itself considering a guy with captaincy qualities should be promoting the fact that are taking it week by week and our main focus is the Hawks

Honestly, why should we be looking any further than next game with the inconsistencies we have shown over the last few years? For all I care it's disrespectful to the opponent we are coming up against

My second point - why does it seem every time that Rats is challenged and we are struggling to get some momentum that he throws a loose man in defense? This simply doesn't work for us, we will never be an effective team at zoning and flooding back etc because our main strength is our speed and ability to move the ball quickly into the forward line to give our small forwards a chance to do some damage. It's just seems to me that Rats tries this easy solution as a get out of jail card, but in reality playing a loose man in defence will benefit our opponent more so. When challenged it just becomes obvious that Rats has no tricks up his sleeve and is tactically inept.

You've turned up like a fart in a space suit.

Don't need your advice tonight sunshine.

Thank's anyway.
Sorry to fart on your sunshine, but just a small comment on the forward setup. It's got me confused. Having played & watched the game for too many years. I don't get it. It's worked a treat at times, but I still believe in hard lead ups to the footy and move it from there. At the risk of pissing people off it's like Geelong setting their forward structure up around Stokes, Byrnes and Varcoe. Then again you did us like a paper doll??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back