News Boak Steps Down

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh sorry, great captain, great player, love ya Trav, is that better?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You don't have to rate him as a footballer but he's been the captain of the club you supposedly support for the past 6 years so the least you could do is show some respect.

Clearly they are mates.

Or Gaff is a campaigner.

Either way who gives a ****?

That's not Gaff's real account, however Gaff is most definitely a campaigner.

Boak has relinquished the captaincy.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-11-30/boak-steps-aside-as-skipper

TRAVIS BOAK will step aside as AFL Captain of the Port Adelaide Football Club after six seasons in the role.

Boak, 30, is the club’s most capped AFL skipper with 137 games as captain, 135 of those games since taking on the leadership role officially from Dom Cassisi in 2013.

The 2011 club champion has twice been All-Australian and played all 22 games in 2018.

But he says now is the right time to allow a new leader to step up.

“Six years into the job I think it’s the right time to hand it over to the next person, whoever that is,” Boak said.

“I’ve hit 30 now and I’m at the back end of my career so I think it’s a good chance for a change of direction.

“The club is in a good position with everything that’s been set up off the field and on the field with all the players we’ve got in in the past few years, so it’s a perfect opportunity for the next person to come in and take the lead and push the group forward.”
It is good news. Our leadership needs to be shaken up. Hopefully, it is a change linked to the arrival of the new coaches. It is part of an overarching plan that acknowledges the fact that we have reached a ceiling.

We need to do things differently or else we won't get better. If we will get better, well, that's another matter entirely. We can only hope and see...

Great leader. Did a great job wearing the number 1 in my opinion. Will still lead by example as he always has but hopefully without the pressure of the captaincy role.

He gets the chance now to simply focus on playing good footy, preferably through the midfield where he has played his best. I think he has been unfairly maligned in recent years, despite still playing an important role and easily a best 22 player. Perhaps we are all still hoping he can get back to the form of 13-14, maybe he will next year. Remember when choco put a 30 year old Wanganeen through the middle in 2003, came runner up in the Brownlow.

Comes a time

The highest amount of respect to Travis after he knocked back an offer that would have taken him back close to home and probably had more success too and stayed loyal even though I would have understood if he had accepted another offer.

We needed him to stay. He knew that and he did the right thing, IMO.

That in itself says a lot about the man.

I hope his remaining playing time rewards him with as much as possible because he deserves as much as the footy gods can spare.

Well done Boaky. Brilliant at the start of his reign on field. Pity the role he has been forced to play the last 2 years, has forced his output late in the game when its on the line, to be diminished. But played a major role off field with helping entice players to the club and communicate with members, supporters, media and corporates.

Hope he tells Ken to get stuffed and stops playing that so much useless running game, and gets back to being a genuine midfielder who gets plenty of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good captain's call. I love the bloke for his loyalty but his best playing days are well behind him, and once you can't lead through on-field actions, your days as a captain are over.
Yep , thanks for staying and leading , it was a gutsy decision at the time and will be fondly remembered for it . In truth probably should've happened a year ago.

Stepped into the role beautifully and was a great leader, but now it's week and truly the time to make the decision he did.

Cheers Boaky. Would love a cheeky coupla bonus dominant seasons back in the 10 now.

Form and injuries permitting, he has 3 or so years left in him?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Boak Steps Down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back