Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Absolute amateur hour this club.

If the grand result of today's board meeting is a president stepping down a week earlier than planned, they've got a big problem on their hands. By not publicly responding all day to intense media speculation about Rutten's position (and others), they've allowed Bombers fans to dare to dream about a proper, serious clean-out of a decades-long underperforming organisation.

While we were all disappointed (not for the first time) with yesterday's match, I don't think anyone was genuinely thinking massive changes would come. But now, having called the board meeting and allowed hours of smoke signals to permeate through the football community, members and supporters want blood.

I don't see Essendon people accepting BAU going forward, whereas had they knocked this on the head 5 hours ago like a professional organisation they could largely avoided this scrutiny and lust for the Red Wedding at the Hangar.

With Rutten specifically, it kinda needed/s to happen today if it is going to happen.

You cant go a whole day with no response while every broadcaster/paper in the country runs the lead story that Rutten has been sacked and not even respond and expect anyone, particularly Rutten, is backed in for the role.

Hell, how are the players meant to buy in when they see this guy talking to them about their performance only to think 'who the * is this guy who might not even be here next week'.
Yes and it seems Brasher has got himself out of the way to allow others to go after Clarkson if they think it best (which it seems Brasher doesnt think it best). Clarkson isnt an idiot. If he was interested in Ess, he can wait a few days to see what the new Pres is doing, especially given some have said Barham has connections with him. Even if Clarkson is to sign with Kangas, I would have thought it best to do that after round 23 anyway.

Plenty of people have been saying there is no point sacking Rutten if a plan B isnt in place. Unless a deal had been done with Clarko previously, there is no way to make all that happen today.

Well my source ( current player) got told he was gone before the board meeting begun, is shocked.

Well what happens if they come out and get smashed by Richmond.

It sounds like warring factions intentionally leaking to apply pressure on outcomes. Decisions become easier if the public believe it's a foregone conclusion.

Well my source ( current player) got told he was gone before the board meeting begun, is shocked.

The Port game was a perfect book end. I suppose the Richmond game could be a similar result, but they surely couldn't roll out "not sure what happened, we weren't expecting that kind of performance" again with a straight face.

I'm personally not too fussed one way or the other with the coaching - but does he really have a leg to stand on with regards to feeling disrespected?

I felt disrespected as a fan yesterday after what he and the players dished up.

With the Clarkson stuff, you have to sound out the best coach of the last 20 years or however long you want to call it. They don't come along all that often. I don't know what the right option is, but in my opinion, sitting down with Clarko is what every team outside the 8 should be doing.

Generally I'd agree but honestly, when do we put the onus more on the players? Some have just been so poor this season.

A lot of that may be due to Rutten's messages not getting across - maybe there's an issue there. But without being in the know, I'm not willing to pull the pin on him yet.

Facts are we overachieved last season, and we've been comparing to that ever since.

This should be one hell of a statement
Dear Members,

Paul Brasher has decidd to stand down as Director, we thank him for his 11 years of hard work. We look forward to bringing success in 2023.
Here is a link to 11% off BomberShop Mecrh for the next 11 minutes only.

Xavier

If the grand result of today's board meeting is a president stepping down a week earlier than planned, they've got a big problem on their hands. By not publicly responding all day to intense media speculation about Rutten's position (and others), they've allowed Bombers fans to dare to dream about a proper, serious clean-out of a decades-long underperforming organisation.

While we were all disappointed (not for the first time) with yesterday's match, I don't think anyone was genuinely thinking massive changes would come. But now, having called the board meeting and allowed hours of smoke signals to permeate through the football community, members and supporters want blood.

I don't see Essendon people accepting BAU going forward, whereas had they knocked this on the head 5 hours ago like a professional organisation they could largely avoided this scrutiny and lust for the Red Wedding at the Hangar.

It is disappointing. Effectively, they're fine with yesterdays result and how things are going.

X Campbell needs to go - the conflict of interest is ridiculous.

Very much doubt he'd be wanting Truck to go - or it's his head.

The timeline:

Early 2018: Woosha's contract was out at the end of 2018. He'd had a good first two seasons at the club, but there wasn't any need to extend his contract so early into the piece. Why not just let 2018 play out a bit before making a decision? Campbell ends up extending his contract until the end of 2020, and next thing you know, we start the season 2-6 and have an underwhelming season.

2019: Another underwhelming season. Making finals, but no chance of ever doing much once we got there. There seemed a general feeling with many Dons fans that they had seen enough of Woosha, and the talk was that the original plan was to sack him. But of course, sacking him after extending his contract would be a horrible look on Campbell and co, so what do we do? Announce the succession plan, ensuring Woosha sees out the remainder of his contract until the end of 2020, makes Campbell and the board save face without yet another premature coach sacking

The succession plan - involved us choosing Rutten, with no real particularly thorough process interviewing a pool of candidates etc. Campbell and co had laid their eyes on Rutten and chosen their man. If we sack Rutten, of course X falls on his sword too.

It's not just that - he had such a good rep, was being touted for Gils job down the line. As things stand, of course he wouldn't ever get the job, he needs to save face as much as possible, which is why it'd be a death wish for him if Truck was to go. Way too much self interest involved and way too many stuff up's on his end. Has to go.

The head of the club just resigned. It is a pretty big deal and is highly likely to mean more changes will follow. When the Saga happened, all the people that ended up going didnt resign on the same day. This will play out for a while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

images

Generally I'd agree but honestly, when do we put the onus more on the players? Some have just been so poor this season.

A lot of that may be due to Rutten's messages not getting across - maybe there's an issue there. But without being in the know, I'm not willing to pull the pin on him yet.

Facts are we overachieved last season, and we've been comparing to that ever since.

It's absolutely on the players as well - but it's on the coach too. There's plenty of blame for everyone. But then things never change - Rutten will select the same old players, no one will be omitted (unless it's an undeserving kid) and we'll be back asking how we could lose to the Tigers by 80 points next week.

So..... what are we thinking?

Do we take 'rutten not being sacked' to mean he hasn't been sacked yet, or that they're sticking by him?

Have we reached out to Clarkson?

This was my main worry re Truck also... how the hell is he meant to coach after today's circus? Must be feeling pretty disrespected.

Campbell HAS to go

Today seems like it has been a storm in a teacup. But whether the rumours have any basis, or if they have been just been media speculation, losing by 81 points put a serious dent in any respect that Truck was entitled to.

It's absolutely on the players as well - but it's on the coach too. There's plenty of blame for everyone. But then things never change - Rutten will select the same old players, no one will be omitted (unless it's an undeserving kid) and we'll be back asking how we could lose to the Tigers by 80 points next week.
I don't think it's something we'd stand for or wish to accept.

That'd be amateur hour if they've backflipped like this. The club needs to settle the rumour mill and come out with something strong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back