Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

You said the same thing when I said he’ll be at Essendon. You either hate people getting info before you or your mad because your not the one that called it. Haters wherever you go i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm not mad at you, I'm just really disappointed with the club and the way this is happening. We are an absolute shitshow

I know that there was a push to get Clarko from the heavy-hitters behind the scenes, there were meetings organised and Clarko was keen on coming to Essendon. This was ignored by the club as they were keen to stick with Rutten.

What has happened today has evolved really quickly.

The question to ask those who want him gone is what more could he have done?

Caldwell was playing midfield, Hobbs, Durham, Martin, Perkins played every game they could, Tex/Baldwin/D'Ambrossio/Bryan/Reid/Cox/Jones played games, Guelfi/McGrath/Zerk-Thatcher found their spots, Wright/Redman have become studs.

I advocated to tank. He did everything but. He developed as much as he could while trying to select a competitive team each week, which would be the wish of most fans and the board. He didn't overstate rebuild, as clearly the wish of the club to avoid it, and the expectations have undone him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm kind of wondering what people expect here. Brasher has previously supported Truck (and X, who has supported Truck). Brasher stands down today (seemingly bringing this forward by at least a week, maybe a year), allowing Barham to take over which seems to have happened smoothly and with none of the Pies style rubbish. This seems to have been done to provide the opportunity to go after Clarko.

Barham has been there 5 minutes at this point. There are discussions apparently being had and to be had about the football department for next year, including the coach.

if they come out right now and say Truck is safe when they dont mean it, there is a problem (which is what Carlton did with Teague). And if the new Pres and others are wanting to sound out Clarkson, then it cant all go down today.

Do you want Truck sacked without a Plan B? Or do you want a new Pres that has been there 5 minutes to say he is behind Truck when he hasnt had a chance to consider options.

Some say this makes Truck's position untenable. Many coaches are regularly in focus. If we (seems laughable) had won yesterday, Hinkley would continue to be in the firing line (and probably still is). Chris Scott's job wasnt even considered safe at end of last year.

The only way this could have been done differently is to have already worked out a deal with Clarkson (as some say had happened) already. But Clarkson who has previously talked about how hard the position of being a coach is possibly wouldnt have wanted it to happen that way anyway.

I fully expect more change to occur but it will take weeks, not minutes.

I was incredibly disappointed with our performance yesterday. It stank as bad as anything I can remember. We didnt care. Part of me wants Truck gone as it seems he doesnt have the players. But there have been many points in this thread about how long it took Dimma, Bomber, Goodwin and others to right the ship. Truck has had 2 years with the 2nd youngest list. I am quite undecided on it and not sure Clarkson would be the answer anyway. Seems to me that Barham needs to work through what is right than try and do it all in a couple of hours this morning to stop speculation on BF and some of the media.

External review to take place, zero mention of the coaching situation.

The external review is a weird spanner in the works, and tells me that whilst Truck isn't safe, Clarkson may not be in the frame either.

But if an external review is ti take place, it will take conservatively 8 weeks to conduct and a report to be tabled. If we decide to move coach then thats another month at least you would think to go through a proper process and appoint someone, so call it 3 months possibly.

At which point we are post the player movement period and well and truly in the lead up to the draft. Good luck trying to recruit players via trafe/FA of any value when the whole club is undergoing an external review and the coach no guarantee to stay.

Just an absolute balls up. This external review is a good thing but should have happened from the start.

The external review is a weird spanner in the works, and tells me that whilst Truck isn't safe, Clarkson may not be in the frame either.

But if an external review is ti take place, it will take conservatively 8 weeks to conduct and a report to be tabled. If we decide to move coach then thats another month at least you would think to go through a proper process and appoint someone, so call it 3 months possibly.

At which point we are post the player movement period and well and truly in the lead up to the draft. Good luck trying to recruit players via trafe/FA of any value when the whole club is undergoing an external review and the coach no guarantee to stay.

Just an absolute balls up. This external review is a good thing but should have happened from the start.
I agree re the external aspect but what if it handed down its review and said to persist with Truck given new coach, young list etc, and then yesterday's performance happened.

Has anyone been in a relationship that they weren't entirely happy in, and thought 'I'll stay with this person until I meet someone I like better'. Has that ever worked for anyone?

My obvious point being the availability and interest or otherwise of Clarkson simply cannot have any bearing on whether we keep Rutten. Either he's the coach we want (doesn't matter if the chair is still warm from Brasher's cheeks - Barham and the board must know this by now) or he's not.

As I've mentioned earlier they've effectively made the call by not definitively and immediately guaranteeing Rutten's position for next year. When your partner asks 'Do you want to be with me or do you want to be with someone else?' and you don't answer - you've answered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back