Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Look, if we again have 38 players banned from doping whilst large sections of the fanbase and key stakeholders go around saying and believing we didn't do anything wrong I'll eat my words but I'm quietly confident!

it just occurred me that hiring Clarkson means no more long sleeves so I dunno about this now.
Make it the one condition of his hiring.

He can do absolutely anything he wants without interference, but the long sleeves stay.

Lloyd himself is a chief contributor to the rot that has set in at the club.

Brilliant player, but like a lot of superstar forward he was at his best when he focused on himself and the me-first attitude that has plagued us for 15+years can be traced to the period of his captaincy under Knights.

Extremely underrated point.

His selfishness at the crucial point, his refusal to put the team before himself and his mates was the final hump that broke the camels back.

If he was as good a leader as he was player he could have held the team together. That would likely at least have driven standards of professionalism which collapsed.

It's a bit unfair to lump it on him because it shouldn't have come to that but that's the reality of the situation.

Make it the one condition of his hiring.

He can do absolutely anything he wants without interference, but the long sleeves stay.

He could bring a James Hird long sleeve to the first presser and tear it bits, symbolically starting a new era

David King said it best.
Getting away from the coach for a second I suspect this is also an issue for our senior players who where young players learning how to play me first footy from their previous leaders.

You aren't just getting Clarko if he comes to essendon. You are getting a team specifically assembled by him.
I'm all for disruption of the current footy department. We have been too content with being middling to bad for too long.

Like it or not after today, Ruttens position is untenable. Not the way to go about it at all. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth

Getting away from the coach for a second I suspect this is also an issue for our senior players who where young players learning how to play me first footy from their previous leaders.
Absolutely. Just as players that emerge under good leaders learn to embrace those standards the players unfortunate enough to come through under poor leadership will carry that forward with them as well.

I have my suspicions about how much we'll ever get out of a number of players who were drafted around the time of the drugs stuff, I'm sure they're tainted by that experience one way or another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, but that's the main job of the coach to change imo. If you're a defensive coach for one year, then you have your hand in and amongst the playing group + offensive side for another year, then you're the "official" coach for another 2 years... we really shouldn't be looking to the "senior guys" for habits being taught by this point.

Fair enough, but that's the main job of the coach to change imo. If you're a defensive coach for one year, then you have your hand in and amongst the playing group + offensive side for another year while supported, then you're the "official" coach for another 2 years... we really shouldn't be looking to the "senior guys" for habits being taught by this point.
It's a bit hard to change when you lack the depth to drop guys for not defending. They probably could have knocked a bit of team-first into Parish if they had the freedom to play him in the VFL until he gave them what they wanted but with a weak list you don't have that option.

Who do you consider our senior players to be and which previous leaders do you refer to?
Think that is pretty easy.
Parish , Merrett , Heppell. Learned the soft culture from our previous leaders.
Not a popular thing to say but Jobe was a great player but he was not a hit you between the eyes leader.
Brendan Goddard was a player who spoke well and tried to lead but was also a player who could not follow any instructions from the coach as far as defending goes and it cost him his list spot when he still had some footy left in him.
Brent Stanton was a me footballer. So was Hooker. So was Hurley.
It pretty much started under Lloyd and has kept going.

Think that is pretty easy.
Parish , Merrett , Heppell. Learned the soft culture from our previous leaders.
Not a popular thing to say but Jobe was a great player but he was not a hit you between the eyes leader.
Brendan Goddard was a player who spoke well and tried to lead but was also a player who could not follow any instructions from the coach as far as defending goes and it cost him his list spot when he still had some footy left in him.
Brent Stanton was a me footballer. So was Hooker. So was Hurley.
It pretty much started under Lloyd and has kept going.
Out of interest how do you rate the guys who came after - Langford, Laverde, McGrath, Ridley etc?

Whately and Robbo believe that Clarkson could be the coach of Essendon by the end of the week.

Robbo also thinks if we get Clarkson, we’re getting Todd Viney (goodbye to Dodoro).

Saying it’s a shake up two decades in the making.
How good is proper process?

article-14632-hero.jpg

Fair enough, but that's the main job of the coach to change imo. If you're a defensive coach for one year, then you have your hand in and amongst the playing group + offensive side for another year, then you're the "official" coach for another 2 years... we really shouldn't be looking to the "senior guys" for habits being taught by this point.
I agree the coach has to sell his message and get it across and Truck has failed. The problem we have had is we went from one coach in Worsfold who empowered the players to drive the changes. It was a very bad move as we did not have the leadership for the players to drive it. At the end of 2020 the players where calling for the coach to drive the standards. Maybe because they have been listening to Trucks defensive message from the 2019 season they have found that message stale. That may be the issue. As an assistant you do not get a lot of scope to change things outside your area. Truck had the scope to mold the defensive actions but he has had limited time to do what other senior coaches get to do and that is work the list management and bring in players he wants and move on others. He has had limited drafts to say I want this type of player or that style of player.
He has failed and he can not stay but in a lot of ways he was set up to fail because of a combination of poor culture , absolute crap leadership with no depth and a list missing some key parts.
I still say you should listen to those who have been in good clubs. They all say having a strong leadership group is what drives the buy in and drives the standards on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back